Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Land Registry on a New Build Flat...

Been in my flat for 3 years now, still isn't registered on Land Registry at all, solicitors claim there's a delay in getting the paperwork from Land Registry however finally got through today and they haven't received anything from our solicitors in the first place!

Any idea on next steps? We're contacting the solicitors to get them to resend the documents and get it in motion once and for all, but is there grounds for getting compensation or anything from the solicitors, seeing as this seems like quite a big fuck up on their part?

FWIW EVERY other property in our block have been registered, and quite a while ago too, so it's not like there's any other reason for a delay

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like they messed up and have fobbed you off rather than admit it. I would ask then to explain what's happened - in an email, not over the phone - and what the next steps are to resolve the issue.

If you've already paid their fee for doing this in the first place then if they have messed up then they should be sorting this out for nish. If they try to charge you for anything I would ask them to explain clearly why and what for - again in an email. 

If you're not happy with what they say then they should have a complaints procedure - details should be in the terms and conditions on their website and/or ain any bumf they sent you when you signed up. If you're complain it might be a good idea to chuck in that you're considering engaging another firm to sort it all out, and if you do you will be expecting them to cover the fees. That usually focuses the mind - the choice between them just spending more time to resolve free of charge or else paying someone else to sort it is a no brainer for professional services firms as they would almost always rather do it themselves for free than pay someone else.

If you get nowhere with all that then you can always complain to the Law Society.

As for "compensation", that really depends on if you have suffered any loss or additional costs. A bit of grief on the phone doesn't usually count, so I would suggest the best thing is to get it sorted asap and see how you feel then.

Good luck!
  • Options
    FYI complain to the SRA and not The Law Society, as they’re the regulator. The Law Society will pickup any conveyancing complaints made to the SRA as part of their checks, and see if any action needs to be taken with regards to that firms conveying accreditation status. 

One easy thing to try is just ask them what their complaints process is, and see how quickly they jump. Had a land registry issue that nearly collapsed my house sale at a time where there were genuine delays at LR. The threat of a complaint spring the solicitors into life and they somehow got my issue resolved with LR the next day.
  • Options
    Agreed. As soon as you ask about complaints in an email and who to write to, things often move quickly.
  • Options
    Well we sent them an email with the email evidence (or lack thereof) from Land Registry to our solicitors that show they never received anything from themselves, asked them as a matter of urgency to resubmit the relevant details, and CC'd in the complaints email address from the firm's website for good measure. We understand that there can be delays, but 3 years worth of emails from them saying "oh yeah it's delayed, Land Registry are being slow" has kind of pissed us off a bit seeing as the actual problem is they haven't bothered submitting, or if they initially did, they haven't bothered chasing it up at their end, and we're now having to chase for ourselves. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I believe if it isn't registered within 24 months it has to be demolished.
    Even if it is on the middle floor.
    Don't tell my wife that she's already having fits about it all
  • Options
    Stressful Sam, hope you can can get it sorted,
  • Options
    This happened to someone I know, but the first they knew of it was when applying for a mortgage when their 2 year fix was coming to an end. 

They ended up on SVR for 5 months, costing them £6k above the new mortgage they had agreed with their new lender!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    This happened to someone I know, but the first they knew of it was when applying for a mortgage when their 2 year fix was coming to an end. 

They ended up on SVR for 5 months, costing them £6k above the new mortgage they had agreed with their new lender!
    Thankfully we're chasing up now as we're on a 5 year fixed and a we're 3 years deep, and now they're saying it'll take another 12-18 months
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Huskaris said:

Thankfully we're chasing up now as we're on a 5 year fixed and a we're 3 years deep, and now they're saying it'll take another 12-18 months
    Good luck mate you have loads of time. Definitely put pressure on them though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quick update for you all:

We completed Feb 2021

Solicitors told us docs are with Land Registry the same week we completed

Land Registry got the first documents July 2021

Land Registry got back to Solicitors March 2023 as that's when they were starting to process our documents, and needed more information

Land Registry sent 2 further letters to Solicitors in May 2023

Land Registry cancelled case in June 2023 due to lack of response from Solicitors

We followed up around May last year to be told by Solicitors that they haven't heard from Land Registry 

Further follow up to Solicitors on January 8th AM by us, to be told application is still delayed and with Land Registry.

Land Registry then get a renewed application for our plot on 8th January PM from our Solicitors 

Land Registry inform us it won't be processed til January 2026 now, only 1 month before we're due to re-mortgage at the end of the initial 5 year fixed term.

Pissed off is an understatement 
  • Options
    What have the solicitors said mate?
  • Options
    Just referred us to the complaints team and said "in terms of your remortgage I can confirm if we have evidence that you have started the process we can then expedite the same so there will be no finical (yes that's what he typed) impact on you in this regard"
  • Options
    SRA all the way, utter incompetence from solicitors. If they’ve done it to you they probably have done it to others.
  • Options
    agree with others, complain to the SRA and if you've suffered any form of financial loss ask for details of their Professional Indemnity Insurance policy as you'd like to make a claim - that'll make them sit up
  • Options
    I bought a house just under 3 weeks ago, and was told that the registry documents could be a few months due to a backlog. Had to proactively ask the solicitors about it though, rather than the other way around. Lazy sods.

You mention you own a flat. Do you know if it has a good EWS1 form/rating? My last place didn’t and it caused no end of struggle in selling (took 3 years). 
  • Options
    So after a bit of back and forth with their official complaint channel they offered us £200 after a "thorough investigation into the claim" however my wife, being a bit of a demon on stuff like this, conducted a parallel investigation by going through the whole timeline with Land Registry herself.

Turns out they completely missed a time when they themselves re-submitted the application, back in July last year, and that's due to complete September 2025. 

It took my wife just 5 minutes to get this information, and Land Registry confirmed the newest application sent by our solicitors on 8th January 2024 was now a duplicate application.

When my wife replied to their "final findings" on the complaint, she asked them what's the current situation, and they said the current application on the 8th Jan is the correct one and if all goes well Land Registry told them it'll complete in July 2025. 

She replied and what of the application lodged in July 2023? And they replied what application in July? We told you already the other application was cancelled in June 2023

So essentially the "thorough investigation" was complete horseshit, we've pointed that out to them and they've basically come back and said "oh yeah, oh well we didn't look into that but" and aren't offering us anything else, so we're moving along with the FCA/Ombudsman