Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manager’s final games….

Which one sticks out in the memory the most?

Parky’s final game? 2-4 capitulation to Swindon (live on TV?)

Pardews 2-5 abomination at home to Sheff Utd

So many to choose from unfortunately 

Comments

• Options
    I guess there’s a list of all the final games somewhere.
    Has the same team ever been the last opponent for more than one of our managers?
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Has to be Dowie at Wigan think it was 6th NOV 2006. Lost 3-2 .Hard wind plenty of rain. He just done nothing the whole afternoon,just stood still. 
    Infact Gomleys monuments in the Mersey had more life in them and better looking than Dowie himself.
  • Options
    So Sheffield United and Swindon have dispatched two of our managers each.
  • Options
    Which game did Fraeye get fired after? Was it the 5-0 or did he get another one after that?
  • Options
    Apples goes after defeat at home to Pompey. 
  • Options
    Slade on Sky away at Swindon was an abysmal display. Want to say we had Kevin Foley and Andrew Crofts in the middle of midfield? 
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    Which game did Fraeye get fired after? Was it the 5-0 or did he get another one after that?
    Huddersfield, the following Saturday we lost at Hull 6-0, Riga was in charge for that one.
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    Huddersfield, the following Saturday we lost at Hull 6-0, Riga was in charge for that one.
    Correct and Fromage bottled the post match interviews and sent Hendo out to speak to the press.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Oakster2 said:
    Correct and Fromage bottled the post match interviews and sent Hendo out to speak to the press.
    Made him right, certainly if the stories were true he was to be sacked if we lost.
  • Options
    Curbs clapped out the door at united.
    Now that's a way to go out. Nothing anywhere near it happened since.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Been to a quite a few matches where it was a Managers last. Parky, Pardew, Powell, Fromage to name but a few, all ingrained in the memory unfortunately. And the only one I was sad to see dismissed was Sir Chris 😞.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Luzon fired after 0-3 home defeat against Brentford

Peeters 0-1 at home to Brighton

Robinson 0-0 at home to Fleetwood (resigned)

Adkins 2-3 at home to Accrington 

Garner 0-1 at home to Cheltenham

Losing at home is the death knell for a struggling Charlton manager….
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Huddersfield 5 - 0 Charlton

Karel Fraeye exiting in a laundry basket while Stephen Henderson had to do his post-match interviews, or whatever the story was. I've blocked out the details in my memory as a trauma coping mechanism, but I do remember that being about as poorly as I've ever seen us play (sadly, it's been rivalled a few times in the intervening years). 
  • Options

Karel Fraeye exiting in a laundry basket 
    I think the 'laundry basket incident' was the Col U FA Cup defeat a week or so before?
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:

Losing at home is the death knell for a struggling Charlton manager….
    Cmon you cobblers!
  • Options

Karel Fraeye exiting in a laundry basket while Stephen Henderson had to do his post-match interviews, or whatever the story was. I've blocked out the details in my memory as a trauma coping mechanism, but I do remember that being about as poorly as I've ever seen us play (sadly, it's been rivalled a few times in the intervening years). 
    Hull away the following Saturday eclipsed Huddersfield.
    I think Hull went up that season so were a good side, but we could have lost by 8 or 9.
    I have seen a lot of s*** since '76 but this was a horror story.

• Options
    edited January 23
    CAFCTrev said:

Karel Fraeye exiting in a laundry basket 
    I think the 'laundry basket incident' was the Col U FA Cup defeat a week or so before?
    You might be right. Like I say, I've chosen to not keep too detailed a memory of that period.
  • Options
    No comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Les Reid ?  After the quarter final defeat at home to Wycombe ? 
  • Options
    Think he had another game at Boro, which we lost 2-0.

Ken Craggs was after a 5-1 loss at home to Rotherham, Andy Nelson after a 4-3 at Oldham…he’d been reinstated as manager after we lost 6-0 in the cup at Wrexham and Mike Bailey got pushed sideways. Lot of goals that season, mostly in our net.
  • Options
    edited January 23

Ken Craggs was after a 5-1 loss at home to Rotherham, Andy Nelson after a 4-3 at Oldham…he’d been reinstated as manager after we lost 6-0 in the cup at Wrexham and Mike Bailey got pushed sideways. Lot of goals that season, mostly in our net.
    That 5-1 at home to Rotherham was that when our Centre half was pushed up front to try and salvage something and the flood gates opened. And their left winger Jimmy Mullen? played like Stanley Mathews his prime?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

That 5-1 at home to Rotherham was that when our Centre half (Paul Went) was pushed up front to try and salvage something and the flood gates opened. And their left winger Jimmy Mullen? played like Stanley Mathews his prime?
    Paul Went left Charlton a decade before that Rotherham game 
  • Options
    Sunderland away lost 8-1 - Jimmy Seed’s last game. Charlton’s record defeat at the time 
  • Options
    edited January 23
    shirty5 said:
    RedChaser said:

That 5-1 at home to Rotherham was that when our Centre half (Paul Went) was pushed up front to try and salvage something and the flood gates opened. And their left winger Jimmy Mullen? played like Stanley Mathews his prime?
    Yes cheers, I had second thoughts about that and edited before you posted . What about the rest of my recollections or were you too young?
  • Options
    Curbs clapped out the door at united.
    Now that's a way to go out. Nothing anywhere near it happened since.
    this
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    shirty5 said:
    RedChaser said:

Yes cheers, I had second thoughts about that and edited before you posted . What about the rest of my recollections or were you too young?
    I was at the Valley for that 5-1 defeat to Rotherham. Remember Ronnie Moore and Tony Towner playing against us 
  • Options
    edited January 23
    shirty5 said:
    RedChaser said:
    shirty5 said:
    RedChaser said:

I was at the Valley for that 5-1 defeat to Rotherham. Remember Ronnie Moore and Tony Towner playing against us 
    Ah yes might have been Tony Towner instead of Paul Mullen and how could I forget Ronnie Moore 🤦‍♂️. I chucked 50p into the collection blanket when it came round the cinder track a while later to help sign him the following year 👍.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    shirty5 said:
    RedChaser said:
    shirty5 said:
    RedChaser said:

Ah yes might have been Tony Towner instead of Paul Mullen and how could I forget Ronnie Moore 🤦‍♂️. I chucked 50p into the collection blanket when it came round the cinder track a while later to help sign him the following year 👍.
    Yes, we signed Tony Towner a couple of years after his best game at The Valley, unfortunately it was for Rotherham.