Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 20th January 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 20th January 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Alan Young

Introduction
The Addicks hit the road once again this coming Saturday, looking to improve upon what has been a disastrous campaign away from the Valley - With just the one win, and six draws, its an area that we drastically need to improve, mentally too, and not just through scoring as much as possible... Given that didnt work on our recent visit to Staffordshire.

The Opposition
Name: Burton Albion (19th) | Manager: Martin Paterson
Ground: Pirelli Stadium
Previous League Result: Derby 3-2 Burton Albion

It was almost a great result on Monday night, the Brewers travelled the short distance across to Derby, where the Sky cameras awaited - Fighting back from 2-0 down, they came so close to earning a point at Pride Park, only to leave Derbyshire disappointed, after a 93rd minute winner. That was their second defeat in the five games since the pre-Christmas clash at the Valley, yet what'll be worrying is the fact that Burton have been impressive at the Pirelli Stadium in recent weeks, with two wins and a draw in their three games at home.

Its meant that Burton have picked up their form since sacking Dino Maamria on the 9th of December, and Martin Patterson (now in the hot seat) will be looking to impress with his first Managerial role - As a player, he's probably best known as a Striker for Burnley - Whilst as a Coach he's spent time as an Assistant in the United States at Fort Lauderdale, before returning home and working with Michael Duff at both Barnsley and Swansea.

Given his credentials, it could well become an inspired Managerial choice from the Staffordshire side... If of course he can be one of those men in the dugout who can step out from beyond the shadows, and become their own Manager!!

Charlton Team News
Its been a whirlwind of a couple of weeks in terms of individuals coming into SE7 - Tyreeq Bakinson put in an impressive
debut against Peterborough last Saturday, so will no doubt keep his place, whilst Conor Coventry and Lewis Fiorini will fight with George Dobson over the remaining slots in Midfield.

It seems we've finally decided to switch formations too, going to the likes of 3-4-3 or even 3-5-2, the latter working well in the second half last Saturday, yet with minimal Striking options (at the time of writing this Preview), it wouldn't be surprising if Daniel Kanu is kept in reserve as a precaution.

Michael Hector and Terry Taylor got a 4/10 for their high five as they switched places in the Funhouse... Erm I mean Physios
room, however its unlikely we'll see the latter for sometime, who otherwise could have faced his previous Employer today.

Maynard-Brewer
Jones - Ness - Gillesphey
Watson - Dobson - Coventry - Bakinson - Edun
May - Kanu

Substitutes : Isted - Asiimwe - Thomas - Fiorini - T.Campbell - L.Watson - Ikpeazu

Comments

• Options
    In the immortal words of Seth, this really is a must win. Fail to do so and we’ll be in a fight to avoid relegation to the fourth division and our fixture list over the next few weeks is not forgiving. 
  • Options
    I wonder who’ll grab the central midfield slot. I have a feeling it might be Bakinson, purely based on size. 
    Watson - Dobson - Bakinson - Coventry - Edun
    …but I could easily be wrong. 
    I’d also be tempted to start with Ikpeazu, partly because Kanu seems to do better coming off the bench. Ikky softens them up for Dan?
    Will a new centre back be signed in time? I’m hoping so. 
    I’m actually looking forward to watching this, and think we’ll win. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I wonder who’ll grab the central midfield slot. I have a feeling it might be Bakinson, purely based on size. 
    Watson - Dobson - Bakinson - Coventry - Edun
    …but I could easily be wrong. 
    I’d also be tempted to start with Ikpeazu, partly because Kanu seems to do better coming off the bench. Ikky softens them up for Dan?
    Will a new centre back be signed in time? I’m hoping so. 
    I’m actually looking forward to watching this, and think we’ll win. 
    I think it has to be Bankinson for the midfield spot based on performance as much as size. 
  • Options
    Couldn't Gillesphey challenge the holy triumvirate of Jones - Ness - Thomas?
  • Options
    Going by their performance against Derby, we're gonna need to turn up with no excuses. Would've been happy with a draw if our recent form weren't so bad

Hoping for a convincing 0-2.
  • Options
    edited January 19
    Jmaster said:
    Oh christ, forgot that Gillesphey existed... Even worse I was looking at the Charlton team on Wiki when I put the team together to try and ensure I didnt leave anyone out... Oops - Will updated my teamsheet, reckon he'll start ahead of Thomas
  • Options
    Failure to win here will have us looking over our shoulders. Nothing less than a win will suffice and will rightly put more pressure on the head coach and the board in the long run, if we fail to turn around this terrible run very soon
  • Options
    It's never straight forward. We have new players, they have a new manager with bounce, we have formations that are any combination of 11 but play our aces in throw away positions. We need a win, but this has score draw written all over it.
  • Options
    Jmaster said:
    Oh christ, forgot that Gillesphey existed... Even worse I was looking at the Charlton team on Wiki when I put the team together to try and ensure I didnt leave anyone out... Oops - Will updated my teamsheet, reckon he'll start ahead of Thomas
    I’d assumed he wasn’t available when he wasn’t in your original selection. 
    Looking forward to see him play. 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A must win
  • Options
    I'm at a wedding all day tomorrow and staying overnight so my prediction is that I don't even look at the score until some point on Sunday.

And then think: "you useless wAnchors, I'll be buggered if I'm coming down to watch you on Tuesday evening"
  • Options
    I am 92% sure this game will be called. 
  • Options
    Need 4 points from this and Northampton before we enter a very challenging period for us.

1-3. Think having a full bench will be enough to see of these matches. 
  • Options
    Need 4 points from this and Northampton before we enter a very challenging period for us.

1-3. Think having a full bench will be enough to see of these matches. 
    Agreed, these two games are the proverbial six pointers.
  • Options
    so far this month Burton have lost away by the odd goal to two of the better teams in this division, Derby (to a last minute winner) and Bolton, SO, they MUST be taken seriously, overall their recent form is better than ours ..
    I want to see us in a no frills 4 4 2 with Bakinson Fiorini Dobson and Coventry in midfield, Watson Jones Gillesphey and Edun at the back, (we've signed all these new arrivals for a reason, so Appleton f f s play them) with Kanu with May up front ..
    this is a team built for solidity i m o, no frills, no mucking about, to get stuck in and grind out a few much needed wins .. a point at least please from another game which will be far from easy.

I have not been keeping up, where is Blackett-Taylor ??
  • Options
    I think FA, it would be wiser to do your preview Friday evening, to allow for players coming and going 🤣
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I think FA, it would be wiser to do your preview Friday evening, to allow for players coming and going 🤣
    yeah, I saw Ladapo mentioned and thought, nay hoped, we'd signed Freddie from the Tractor Boys, BUT, of course we hadn't
  • Options
    COYR 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 19
    Some good signings, potential signings, it is cold but the sun is shining!  Things maybe looking up for The Addicks...

3-1  to Burtons the Tailors
  • Options
    so far this month Burton have lost away by the odd goal to two of the better teams in this division, Derby (to a last minute winner) and Bolton, SO, they MUST be taken seriously, overall their recent form is better than ours ..
    I want to see us in a no frills 4 4 2 with Bakinson Fiorini Dobson and Coventry in midfield, Watson Jones Gillesphey and Edun at the back, (we've signed all these new arrivals for a reason, so Appleton f f s play them) with Kanu with May up front ..
    this is a team built for solidity i m o, no frills, no mucking about, to get stuck in and grind out a few much needed wins .. a point at least please from another game which will be far from easy.

Injured last week, was the official line.
  • Options

Injured last week, was the official line.
    thanks
  • Options

TOMORROW’S HOME GAME AGAINST CHARLTON SET TO GO AHEAD…
  • Options
    edited January 19

TOMORROW’S HOME GAME AGAINST CHARLTON SET TO GO AHEAD…
    So Charlton are at home to Charlton tomorrow are they...🙄
  • Options
    Burton 0-1 Charlton

Fleming 90+6

😉
  • Options
    The Lordflashheart said:
    A must win
    Yes, to quote Seth, I feel that Appleton does actually have to win this one given the recent additions and rumours of more to come.  
  • Options
    1-2 May and Ladapo
  • Options
    The Burton manager is quite right. We splashed the cash in the summer and we are doing ir again now. But they with their tiny budget are only 2 pts away from us. Sums up how pathetic we have been and even with some exciting new players we still have Appleton in charge. Outr away form is so bad, we have to win tomorrow. Not sure we will, 1-1 and Appleton turns away from the away end like he did at Orient. Not happy.