Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fail To Comply With Lane Closure

Just a heads up for those that might not be aware - just by driving under a red Cross, or joining that lane after a red cross has been displayed, on a motorway is now an offence (since 2022?), punishable with 3 points and £100 fine.

I've ust got one through and couldn't work out what it was for as I was doing 41mph in a temporary 40mph zone. I then read it again and it stated "fail to comply with lane closure"

Comments

• Options
    edited January 12
    Never knew about that one mate, thanks for the heads up. Although I'm one of the "get in the right lane early and tut at all those cutting in at the last minute" brigade.
    Exactly the same mate, one of my pet hates is people going right to the cones, but the motorway weren't at all busy and I just filtered over, but obviously too late
  • Options
    Where was this?
    Lol oks like another one for the Khan coffers.
    Khan won't be happy until every motorist is bankrupt.
  • Options
    M4, so Thames Valley Police mate -

• Options
    Known about it for a while, always switched lane and wondered if the others that go flying down the Red Cross ❌ lane ever got a ticket.
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Blimey, that's been an offence for ages. I can't remember how long but at least 2002. Probably longer ago than that. NIPs have always been a possibility but I guess an easier option now because of the cameras.  You get plenty of warning with the orange move over arrows on preceding gantries.  It's very dangerous, sorry no sympathy, anyone caught for this deserves getting done.

Edited to add: Came into being in the 1970s it seems with camera enforcement in place since 2014 on some motorways and more since 2019.
  • Options
    Never knew about that one mate, thanks for the heads up. Although I'm one of the "get in the right lane early and tut at all those cutting in at the last minute" brigade.
    Me too, but apparently the ones 'cutting in' are actually right! 

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/merge-in-turn#:~:text=What%20does%20the%20Highway%20Code,do%20not%20change%20lanes%20unnecessarily.
  • Options
    I got stung by one of these last year. I was driving my truck up the M1 and they closed 2 of the 3 lanes. I moved over, obeying the signs and passed the accident. Once clear, I moved over to allow the cars to pass me (as it takes 5 minutes for me to get back up to speed with a full load). The problem was that 300 yards further on, they had the red X's still showing on a gantry, even though the road was now clear. I ended up having to do an awareness course. Money grabbing bastards.
  • Options
    edited January 12
  • Options
    I got stung by one of these last year. I was driving my truck up the M1 and they closed 2 of the 3 lanes. I moved over, obeying the signs and passed the accident. Once clear, I moved over to allow the cars to pass me (as it takes 5 minutes for me to get back up to speed with a full load). The problem was that 300 yards further on, they had the red X's still showing on a gantry, even though the road was now clear. I ended up having to do an awareness course. Money grabbing bastards.
    There might have been another obstruction further along the carriageway, so shouldn't move back until you see the lane clear sign.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 12
    cafcfan said:
    Blimey, that's been an offence for ages. I can't remember how long but at least 2002. Probably longer ago than that. NIPs have always been a possibility but I guess an easier option now because of the cameras.  You get plenty of warning with the orange move over arrows on preceding gantries.  It's very dangerous, sorry no sympathy, anyone caught for this deserves getting done.

Edited to add: Came into being in the 1970s it seems with camera enforcement in place since 2014 on some motorways and more since 2019.
    I honestly weren't looking for sympathy mate, just giving people the heads up.

FYI - Been driving for 30 years and never had any type of crash or had any points added to my licence. I can't recall this incident tbh, but convinced that I would've obeyed the initial red cross, then maybe moved over into that lane too soon at the end of the lane closure, once the cones had been removed. 
  • Options
    Where was this?
    Gribbo said:

Where's all the hand wringing from certain quarters about politicising a thread (especially when what is being claimed is totally wrong)... 🤔😉😂
  • Options
    Where was this?
    Gribbo said:

Where's all the hand wringing from certain quarters about politicising a thread (especially when what is being claimed is totally wrong)... 🤔😉😂
    I presume everyone ignored the comment as it was a joke.
    Everyone surely knows Khan isn't the Mayor of the M4?
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Daughter who recently passed test, was instructed in lessons to use the lane that is clear when approaching a contra flow (2 lanes into 1) in a zip fashion and that this style of driving would be expected by an examiner. So the etiquette of sitting in one long line of traffic whilst the outer lane / closing lane is empty, is discouraged.

• Options
    My wife likes her windscreen wiper wash to clip the windows but to fire over the back of the car …. That’s her solution to anyone up her arse oooooh errrrrr mrs 
  • Options
    edited January 13
    Where was this?
    Gribbo said:

I presume everyone ignored the comment as it was a joke.
    Everyone surely knows Khan isn't the Mayor of the M4?
    Rob didn't mention the M4 in his original post. I put joke memes on a thread, but got slagged for them being political. I just ask for consistency rather than hypocrisy, CE.  ;)    
  • Options
    What gets on my nerves is just before the entrance of the southbound Blackwall Tunnel and you queue as any decent person does and you see all these cnuts drive up the wrong lane on purpose to push in. 
  • Options
    edited January 13
    Daughter who recently passed test, was instructed in lessons to use the lane that is clear when approaching a contra flow (2 lanes into 1) in a zip fashion and that this style of driving would be expected by an examiner. So the etiquette of sitting in one long line of traffic whilst the outer lane / closing lane is empty, is discouraged.

I was in Cornwall in the Summer, and there are roadworks going on the A30 to create a flyover and so in the future make traffic flow easier.

There was literally a sign up saying "Use both Lanes... Merge in Turn"

Yet still cars queued for a mile or two in the left hand lane, whilst leaving the right one (the one closing) almost clear - The British approach to queuing really is too strong, but I never get the approach of getting over into a lane as early as possible with that logic, simply because you know the other lane will eventually close... I mean, what's the point of sitting in that lane at all, if that's the case?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was in Cornwall in the Summer, and there are roadworks going on the A30 to create a flyover and so in the future make traffic flow easier.

Yet still cars queued for a mile or two in the left hand lane, whilst leaving the right one (the one closing) almost clear - The British approach to queuing really is too strong, but I never get the approach of getting over into a lane as early as possible with that logic, simply because you know the other lane will eventually close... I mean, what's the point of sitting in that lane at all, if that's the case?
    If there's a red cross above the "closing" lane, proceed with caution from now on mate.

For me though, I've always gotten over as early as possible, mainly because I don't want the hassle of not being let in further down the road.

As far as jumping a red cross; the temporary signs put out with the cones give a distance of where the lane closes and where you have to merge, so I'm going with this being another stick to beat the motorist with and a stealth tax to raise more funds to help fund the £2.5b payments we keep sending overseas. 

• Options
    edited January 13
    Gribbo said:

If there's a red cross above the "closing" lane, proceed with caution from now on mate.

For me though, I've always gotten over as early as possible, mainly because I don't want the hassle of not being let in further down the road.

As far as jumping a red cross; the temporary signs put out with the cones give a distance of where the lane closes and where you have to merge, so I'm going with this being another stick to beat the motorist with and a stealth tax to raise more funds to help fund the £2.5b payments we keep sending overseas. 

My usual approach is I'll use the lane if there is an indication that you need to get over, because the lane is closing.

If I see a Red Cross, I'll get over as soon as possible to make sure I dont go through it.

Dont blame people for equally getting over as soon as possible - Unfortunately because many dont seem to know about the advised zip merging (a campaign from those who run the roads might be a good idea to resolve this, and so ease traffic), you get the idiots who deliberately sit on the bumper of the car in front, because they think the merging car is taking the piss, rather than being the one doing what should be done.

Ironically its that approach (along with the rubber necking at what ever has closed the lane), that creates the traffic in the first place.
  • Options

Which is absolutely correct according to the rules and the highway code. The problem being those in the lane you are merging into often feel they have earnt the right to decide whether to merge in turn or not - So will often just not let you in so you get stuck. For that reason i go against the highway code and just get in the right lane when the opportunity arises even if it may take slightly longer and I know that it doesn't help traffic flow. 
  • Options

British approach to queueing doesn't apply if you are driving a German car...

• Options

British approach to queueing doesn't apply if you are driving a German car...

.....Or an Artic   ;)
  • Options
    Proper Charlton fans travel by train.
  • Options
    edited January 16
    Maybe it’s just me but the more I read ‘Merge in Turn’ I am questioning if I really appreciated what that means I.e. Take it in turn to merge. 

I don’t know that you see that instruction very often. 

Do motorists know what it means? 

I may just have gone word blind. 

Probably me ☹️
  • Options
    yep a few of our engineers have been done by it 
  • Options
    edited January 19
    Coming round the M25 late last night and had the merge arrows lights come up on the overhead gantry (3 lanes into one ((the inside lane)), so I obviously moved over into the inside lane immediately as directed.  The very next gantry was showing 3 red crosses above the closed lanes, but gotta say there were far more vehicles going under the red crosses than filing over into the inside lane.

Ironic thing was, the "workers in the road" were putting signs out on the hard shoulder, so the drivers were being directed to move over and drive in the closest lane to where the workers were. The rest of the carriageway was empty of any workers or any cones etc.

Probably brought in a few quid though
  • Options
    Seen these on the M4 a few times and always wondered if there is any leeway so say you drive along and as you come up to one of the boards and there is nothing on them and then it flashes up with an X as you are going under it. Or if you go under the 1st one you come to and then move across. I think there is some potentially very harsh penalties out there