Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travelling to the US

2»

Comments

• edited January 9
    seth plum said:
    If you know anyone in the West of Ireland for maybe an overnight stay, the Dublin area too, you can do all the immigration formalities (and presumably discover early if there’s a problem) before you fly to New York from either Dublin or Shannon, and stroll off at the other end.
    Gatwick to Shannon by Ryanair is stupidly cheap.
    Shannon to New York is seven hours or so.
    You can also clear US immigration at the bigger Canadian airports, I did it in Toronto and it was very quick. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    One of the times I went to Vegas, our mate got questioned for nearly two hours as there had already been two other Paul Richardson's who arrived from England that day
    John Smith's fucked...
  • Usually border officers just ask how long as you staying, check the landing card, take a photo and stamp your passport. In the states they ask you questions like where are you staying and what are you up to and make small talk. It so strange. At JFK I was asked how much money I was taking, I said $70 which he took as $70k! I had to take the money out of my wallet for him to get it. At Seattle I was asked if I would visit Kurt Cobain's grave?! 

cafctom said:
    About 20 years ago a friend of a friend made the idiotic mistake of responding to a question about whether he has any dangerous objects in his case with a ‘joke’ along the lines of “oh, just a bomb but don’t worry about that”.

It was only a couple of years after 9/11. The bloke spent 24 hours being questioned by the authorities and was then refused entry into the country. 
    Actually, maybe they're not too bad.
  • edited January 9
    declare all food/drink items if you're bringing any. Though its legal (and such a British thing to do) my dad packed tea for a trip to New York. Got to customs the other side and they gave him grief for not declaring it. 
  • edited January 9
    declare all food/drink items if you're bringing any. Though its legal (and such a British thing to do) my dad packed tea for a trip to New York. Got to customs the other side and they gave him grief for not declaring it. 
    Tbh I don't think I have ever been abroad for years without bringing my own tea bags and my own pillow (should explain the pillow thing. I broke my spine some years back so bring it with me when traveling) 
     Remember getting to an air BnB in Barcelona and the woman who owned the place saw my pillow and said "you do realise that we have pillows and bedding here?!"  
  • My son travels to Miami in march, they are involved in the Miami beach festival, it will be his first trip without us and is a working trip with some down time to relax, to say he can't wait is an understatement.
  • My son travels to Miami in march, they are involved in the Miami beach festival, it will be his first trip without us and is a working trip with some down time to relax, to say he can't wait is an understatement.
    Has he got a working visa ? 
  • On our last trip in August we took tea bags (as we have on every trip), chocolate, biscuits and some other bits and pieces that I can't remember and had no problems.
    The only time I've been asked about food was the first time we went, in 2000, and they wanted to know if we had any oxo cubes or Marmite. 
  • Sponsored links:

• On our last trip in August we took tea bags (as we have on every trip), chocolate, biscuits and some other bits and pieces that I can't remember and had no problems.
    The only time I've been asked about food was the first time we went, in 2000, and they wanted to know if we had any oxo cubes or Marmite. 
    That's their stock question.
  • iaitch said:
    On our last trip in August we took tea bags (as we have on every trip), chocolate, biscuits and some other bits and pieces that I can't remember and had no problems.

Come on - you can't expect more lols by posting it twice ;-)
  • I think the biggest food no-no is fresh produce.  I've seen someone pounced on because they picked up a banana from the fruit bowl in business galley and took it off the plane
  • bobmunro said:
    iaitch said:
    On our last trip in August we took tea bags (as we have on every trip), chocolate, biscuits and some other bits and pieces that I can't remember and had no problems.

Come on - you can't expect more lols by posting it twice ;-)
    Apologies, didn't realise I had done that.