Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Office Horizon scandal

Comments

• Options
    My guess is.
    The post office realised after a few dozen convictions it was the computers fault.
    They then kept their mouth shut in fear one of them could top up in prison.
  • Options
    Since 2013 Fujitsu have been awarded 191 Government contracts worth £6.5bn.

Until 2022 it was on the list of the Government's preferred suppliers. It was removed at that time, but can still bid for contracts through the normal procurement process. 

Fijitsu executives are to appear before a Parliamentary committee next week. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    My guess is.
    The post office realised after a few dozen convictions it was the computers fault.
    They then kept their mouth shut in fear one of them could top up in prison.
    Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive, as the saying goes.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Now she's returned her honour, reckon Alan Bates should be offered a Knighthood 
    Interestingly I think I heard he was offered a CBE a while back but turned it down as long as Vennells still had hers...
  • Options
    At last, Fujitsu's role in this and the fact that they have been given so many Government contracts is coming under the spotlight on national tv - mentioned on BBC Breakfast this morning.
  • Options
    ITV 10-45- 11-45 is excellent on this Scandal.

It's looks to be Verbatim with the drama when you see the useless Paula Vennells in front of the select committee.

Please watch on ITV x as you can see all the main characters that were displayed in the drama with the exception of the suicide obviously but the Asian woman who attempted suicide twice speaks about her trauma.

So pleased I signed the petition before watching the drama; having followed this scandal for a decade. 
    A very good programme except for the annoying 'music' throughout. It was shown last week following the Mr Bates v The Post Office drama.
  • Options

ME14addick said:
    Politics inextricably linked to this scandal, I don't see how it can be avoided. Why are some people so reluctant to see criticism of the Government that has been in charge for 13 years, during which time there has been little action,  until it was brought to wider attention by a drama on tv.

I dunno... This MP talking sense:

https://x.com/RosieisaHolt/status/1744711394405044569?s=20
    Is she for real?  
    Rosie Holt does some really good comedy and her Twitter spoofs always catch a few out, which is quite amusing. She doesn't tend to put the victims straight but rather adds to her previous posts with a little more satire. Worth following if you like a bit of political piss taking.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Gribbo said:
    Interestingly I think I heard he was offered a CBE a while back but turned it down as long as Vennells still had hers...
    Completely understandable. What sort of 'honour' would it be to him to get the same that was awarded to her? 

Shouldn't she be excommunicated, defrocked etc by the Church btw? 
  • Options
    Lots of pressure being put on Fujitsu to stump up compensation as well as, or perhaps instead of the ever suffering UK tax payers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Gribbo said:
    Yeah that's what I mean. Wonder if he'd accept a gong now?
  • Options
    Mrs saying Richard Branson given Andy Bates and his wife a holiday on Necker Island and a cruise 
  • Options
    edited January 10
    Lots of pressure being put on Fujitsu to stump up compensation as well as, or perhaps instead of the ever suffering UK tax payers
    If there's anything in the relevant contracts that would make Fujitsu liable then absolutely, otherwise there's no chance.

If there is something in there then the PO should already have gone for this. But I suspect they haven't and there is a general statute of limitations on these things (generally 6 years from when you first knew about it) after which you can't go back.

So if the PO could've gone back to them but didn't, and are now out of time, then that would be something else they've fcuked up on. And I know where my money would be there!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    If there's anything in the relevant contracts that would make Fujitsu liable then absolutely, otherwise there's no chance.

If there is something in there then the PO should already have gone for this. But I suspect they haven't and there is a general statute of limitations on these things (generally 6 years from when you first knew about it) after which you can't go back.

So if the PO could've gone back to them but didn't, and are now out of time, then that would be something else they've fcuked up on. And I know where my money would be there!
    great post, very informative and precise .. but what about this act .. Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 - Wikipedia .. or is this act negating terms to restrict injury etc still subject to the Limitations Acts/Rules ? ..
    or a case could be made for fraud and deception under the Theft Acts IF IF it can be shown that Fujitsu lied about the reliability of their system and this caused widespread financial loss as well as pain and anguish to hundreds of people as well as corporate fraud towards the Post Office
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Mrs saying Richard Branson given Andy Bates and his wife a holiday on Necker Island and a cruise 
    That's good, though my cynical head can't help but wonder if Branson is keen to boost the positive side of his profile after some potentially less savoury stuff this week.

I was thinking that perhaps there ought to be some public award for anyone who has been publicly wronged. I'm not sure how it would work exactly some sort of freedom on the country type thing. I realise that people can never get the time back that they've lost, but at least we should aim to make the rest of their lives as comfortable as possible.  
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I got a lot of criticism on Charlton Life for refusing to get a smart gas and electricity meter installed, even though the energy companies pestered me continually.
    In the light of the Horizon scandal I am not persuaded that a smart meter is a safe installation.
    How are these comparable?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

There are questions over whether Fujitsu employees lied under oath in court. If so, possibly Fujitsu could be vicariously liable for consequential losses to the PO arising from that false evidence. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:
    Off_it said:

There are questions over whether Fujitsu employees lied under oath in court. If so, possibly Fujitsu could be vicariously liable for consequential losses to the PO arising from that false evidence. 
    I suspect the PO already knew that Fujitsu were lying. It seems pretty clear that Fujitsu, the Post Office and successive governments all knew that Horizon was faulty and that Fujitsu were able to remotely access the terminals in branches. Each for their own reasons, then seemingly went on to lie and/or conceal the truth of that. 
  • Options
    Interesting aside, a company that we work closely with are in the process of launching a new web platform and app which go by the name of Horizon. Unfortunate timing! 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I got a lot of criticism on Charlton Life for refusing to get a smart gas and electricity meter installed, even though the energy companies pestered me continually.
    In the light of the Horizon scandal I am not persuaded that a smart meter is a safe installation.
    In my view they are comparable because they are technical systems that lead to a demand for money.
    And as we can see those systems are not infallible.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    In my view they are comparable because they are technical systems that lead to a demand for money.
    And as we can see those systems are not infallible.
    That's a very vague connection and could be used on numerous other things.   I will leave it there.
  • Options
    Being imprisoned for something you didn’t do is one of the most horrific things I can imagine. I can’t get my head around how people deal with that.
    this and this
  • Options
    Being imprisoned for something you didn’t do is one of the most horrific things I can imagine. I can’t get my head around how people deal with that.

How on earth do you go about picking up the pieces when you get out? In some of these cases people had fuck all left.
  • Options
     a retired high court /appeal court judge was interviewed y/day on R4 World at One .. of course he defended the legal system and was totally against any legislation to speed up appeals against or combined squashing of convictions .. he also stated that a few appeals had already been rejected on grounds that it could not be proved that Horizon was at fault for the 'defendants' shortages !, implying that some sub postmasters were indeed thieves .. 
    Another useless old duffer sticking up for the status quo and probably advocating more big pay days for bullshitting and useless barristers .. with dickheads like him sitting in judgment how can we all have serious faith in the higher UK courts (I say UK, there must be cases falling under Scottish law)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Well how about the idea that a programmer working for the company that makes the meters could go in and change your reading to cover up a small bug in the system.

Of course, that could never happen could it? The energy companies, the regulator and not to mention the government would immediately spot this and put matters right.