Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Disillusioned with Charlton

Comments

• 60 years for me an obviously a lot of that was in some dire times. However, at least I always felt people within the club cared, from the tea lady to the owner. A that we were all sharing the suffering together, that players were limited in ability, but played to the best of it. 

This current lengthy slump just continues to grind on. Are we all in it together ? No I don’t think so the fans the players, Management, and owners have never been so segregated. 

This level of separation and lack of unity, is only making the situation worse. I fear for the future of our club.
  • edited January 7
    I felt the same last year. I was close to giving up but junior kept me going and have now realised its about the social side as much as the football. Thanks god its not.just the football side.
  • Yes, you all have maximum 20 years to live. 15 if Appleton gets another season 
  • 60 years for me as well and agree it’s a low point. The performance and results still have a much greater effect on how I feel than it should. 

But four season tickets for me and the Grandchildren and feel guilty as it gets them down my daughter says her 15 year old takes it as badly as me. 

But Charlton has always been part of my life from 5 watching them on the pitch and as a young boy seeing them train at The Valley when I stayed at my Nans in Sundorne Road

Still live in hope that what’s to come will be better,

Once an Addick always an Addick COYR

• edited January 7
    I try to focus on any positive that might arise. A player from the academy breaking through, CBT cruising past his maker and getting a cross in, a crunching Dobbo slide tackle, Alfie popping up in the box and sticking it in the net.
    I only really get angry when the manager has selected the wrong players, or has made poor substitutions, or if players really don’t put in an effort. Or if the ownership is letting us down again. 
    So quite a lot then. 
  • 63 yrs for me and counting! Seen some, very rare, good times, many bad ones! However we are, at this time, the worst I've seen us!
    Even yesterday when we went 3-2 up I just knew we'd throw it away! How sad is that?
    I've stood in the old Covered End on a freezing cold Tues night back in the 70's  and had more fun than watching this pile of tripe....but I'll never give up on them....I just won't spend my money on them as much as I used to...sad, sad times!

• edited January 7
    Most of the posters on this thread are middle age/seniors (apologies to the young bucks) and unfortunately there is no real escape even if you stop going to matches.
    I feel the pain of you all and I'm Contemplating the words of the Guru above🤔
    Is the addiction to Charlton a great gift 👍 or a curse 👎 we won't put it to the vote or the latter would win. My dad took me to Charlton one week and Millwall the next until I was 10 as he was a Bermondsey boy who also lived in Charlton for a short while so I was doomed from the start !

Luton, Coventry, and Bournemouth dropped lower than the 3rd tier and have risen up the divisions. Have we even reached our Nadir 🤦🏻‍♂️
    Can we find a solution to mid table mediocrity in the 3rd tier where we are average on a good day ?

I find it quite sad listening to the stories above, especially six-bags-a-nuts coming up from the Poole/Bournemouth area. 

We are 'Charlton till we die' and having read the small print there is no escape clause even if you stop going to the matches or don't watch on a stream. I get the knotted stomach just watching the teleprinter, as night follows day we will concede a late goal or goals. 

I never wanted to turn into Victor Meldrew...
  • Sponsored links:

• The majority of us stick with it because we know how good it can be supporting this club.

It's getting the younger generations to blindly follow that is becoming harder as each shit season passes.
  • 66 years for me…….part of my soul part of my being who I am (for better or worse), will take the Addicks to my grave and all Addicks are my adopted family……to one extent or another.
    Take your registration plate with you mate, absolutely love it :)
  • edited January 7
    My Grandad made me Charlton (he is laughing in The Valley Memorial Garden as we speak), he took me to my first game in the late 70’s aged 5.
    I can remember going to the reserve games too at The Valley, with my Grandad and Lofty and about 50 others on a good night!

I’m now struggling to keep my youngest Son one of the Valley faithful. It’s harder not living local or even in Kent, this side of the water in Essex, majority of his mates are West Ham.
    He hasn’t known anything other than League One (wasn’t old enough to go to Wembley with Dad).

Literally as I’m typing this, he asked what I’m doing. Explained and he said ‘don’t worry Dad, one day they will be ok again’. 
    Right now, I’m not so sure.

We have become known as a club that used to be good, in the past. That past is getting further away each year. I really can’t see any new kids supporting us, other than those in the die hard families. The previous new supporters who had a choice won’t choose us. 
    Brings back memories of the late 70’s and early 80’s, just without the passion.

• edited January 7
    55 years since my first game. My early memories of CAFC are those seasons in Division 3 in the early 1970s. A massive ground with 3,000 in attendance, a team that “used to be good”, with a phenomenal rise through the leagues in the 1930s and then over 20 years in the top flight. 

When I came in, we were about half way through our 29 year exile from Division One (as was). Surely nearly getting wound up, the fans having to pay for a player and then having to leave the Valley were the lowest ebbs in my 55 years.

It’s true that once it’s in your blood, you can never get away from it - even if you don’t go
    to games. I haven’t been to the Valley since 1997 and went from 2000 to 2019 without seeing a game in the flesh, but during that time I could still get my weekend ruined by a Charlton defeat on a Saturday afternoon.

It would be interesting to know the age profile of posters on CL and how many youngsters - the fans of the future - are on here.
  • HandG said:
    I’m just over 37 years now and am enjoying going to Charlton games now as much as I have for some time. The main reason for this is that me, my mates and family go to the pub before and after as well as heading to the Fans Bar after 35 minutes of the first half so we get nearly half hour down there for half time. Also many of us bring our kids who have fun playing with each other and have a lovely time.

Basically the game is not the most important part of the day and, if we win, it’s a lovely bonus but, if we lose, I can move on pretty quickly and, now our season is effectively over, that will be even easier.

It may sound like I’m becoming apathetic but I still care about the team a lot and I know that my interest will be peaked further once improvements happen (which I’m sure they will one day) - at the moment I’m just enjoying spending quality time with my loved ones and having a nice drink on Saturdays. 

Charlton being shit at the moment also helps me stay calm when my two smaller children (6 and 9) are being a pain as I can attend to them and not worry about missing what’s happening on the pitch. Every cloud and that…

You write very nicely, mate, and I have a very similar outlook. I take my 11 year old daughter and two of her friends who love coming. They call us "we" and it makes me so bloody happy. I've kitted them all out with shirts, tracksuit tops etc. We go to the pub pre match, quick runaround in Greenwich Park (them, not me) then on to the game. They've recently asked to move behind the goal and they love it up there. 

On the face of it this is as miserable as it's ever been (in fact, it is) but having kids there makes it enjoyable. It takes up most of the day, we are out in the fresh air and there is still a thrill when we score. The next win is going to feel expecially sweet as it has been so long. 

Most of my group have drifted away but I still love going. When we scored our second yesterday I did my best to join in the bundle at the front. Alas, I couldn't hurdle the seats as quickly as I once could so by the time I got there everyone was done. Still a great feeling though. 

I don't want to do anything other than go to Charlton on a Saturday. So that's what I do. I find I am the least wound up of my group as I get it out of my system at the match. It's those of them who don't go who seem the most agitated. 
    Thanks for the kind words man, much appreciated. 

Glad to hear you’re keeping the faith and hope that your daughter and her pals get to witness an upturn in our fortunes sooner rather than later. 
  • The joy and passion that Kanu displayed when scoring on the weekend brought a smile to my face. To then be followed by Campbell was great. I know we didn't win, but those moments keep me going. There is always hope.
    Exactly!
  • Sponsored links:

• I converted from Chelsea around 50 years ago, so i have had two top flight eras.  I also have endured three league 1 eras, this is the worst of those. For about 5 years I have said I doubt I will renew my ST, but I always have so who knows.  

The quality of football we play now, the last minute goals are harder to take since my friend John and Dr Kish died as i would sit with John as well as talk and test during the week and have a weekly Wednesday call with Kish.  I still have good friends at the Valley who i meet pre match at the RAH and the joke always is a nice afternoon, interrupted by 90 minutes, maybe that would be the best solution.

Parking will come into my thinking next season, one of the advantages of supporting a club in League 1 is relatively quick get away at the end of the game.  I went to Spurs v Burnley the other night and getting out and even starting the journey home was a nightmare.
  • 62 years for me. Bring back the Gliksten's I say.
  • I am jealous of those who bring along the next generation of fans and it makes things happier still. 

Sadly has become the opposite for me, the best part of the last year has been my football obsessed Nephew coming along with us but he does care about on the pitch, has been completely dispirited by the poor performances and results. 

Now does not want to do away matches and has a "party" on Saturday instead of coming to the match. 

Has left me for the first time in my fandom considering if I want to be such a regular attendee too. 

As despite being younger then many on here it is not like I have not experienced bad times, I never questioned my attendance as we tumbled down two divisions in quick succession, when we struggled to pay the bills, when our scoring hopes were in the hands of the likes of Pawel Abbot and when our pitch was a disgrace to the football league. 

Hopefully things start to change as I am just fed up 
  • My son is only a few months old, and I assumed for most of my life that I would be taking my kids to see Charlton just like my dad did, and his dad before him. But as it stands, I am far more likely to take him to non-league than to the Valley, which is crazy, and yet it just makes so much more sense. 
  • My first game was a 5-1 home defeat to Rotherham, which set me up quite nicely. I feel sorry for those of you who were 11 in 2003. 
  • A friend told me recently that some expert study identified a genetic predisposition to being a football fan. I’ve always said that was the case for me as I fell in love with it on the telly, at the age of six, without dad even trying to persuade me. He did then have to convert me to Charlton.

So, whatever, we’re just stuck with it. 

Bring on the next 50 years. Europe and / or an FA Cup Final would be nice. 
  • I went about 24 years and missed 1 home game. In the last 3 years I have missed about 8, covid exception.

I will also miss this Saturday due to rail engineering works in my area as I need to be back in Basingstoke by 18.30 to start work, and the pompey game due to a funeral the day before.

Previously I would have done anything to attend those games due to this sort of obstacle. Now can't be arsed.

I didn't watch our game against Oxford either on stream after I had to work on new years day, so that will be 4 games I have missed this season at home.