Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When was the last time you had heard of a Charlton signing?

Reading some of the names being slung about on the rumours thread got me thinking I've never heard of any of them.

These days and probably for a good few years I don't have extensive knowledge of squads or players outside of Charlton's annual set of chancers (even at the big global clubs and premier league sides).

Alfie May I was aware of as I knew him from non league but prior to that Ben Watson and maybe Johnny Williamson were probably the last players I knew as professional footballers when they signed with us and even the latter I had no idea about what we were getting.

Whilst many on here have (or claim to have) encyclopedic knowledge of pretty much any player we're linked with/ gamble on wonder how many of those in my position recall it being a long time since we signed someone they'd heard of and better still were aware of what we were getting.

As outlined this is down to my lack of knowledge of players outside of Charlton so wonder who the last player we signed that you knew was?

Comments

• Harry Arter
    Chris Gunter

• Michael Hector, Blackett Taylor.
  • Simonsen said:
    Harry Arter
    Chris Gunter

Good point, Arter would have been mine too if he signed after Watson.
  • edited January 5
    Alfie May - I'd heard of Tayo Edun as well prior to us signing him, same with Pat Camara. Only those last two though because of past Transfer interest, and from when we'd faced Camara when he was playing for Plymouth.
  • This season - Alfie May for definite, and Camara definitely rang a bell

Last season - Steven Sessegnon, Michael Hector, Jack Payne, Terell Thomas, Todd Kane (and Bonne of course)
  • May,Camara,Edun from this season's batch. 
  • edited January 5
    Chris Duffy

Seriously - I had heard of Charlie Kirk (heard and seen good things as well - just shows things aint what they seem to be!)

• Elliot Lee but not even sure if he was a loan or permanent. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Darren Bent. ;)
  • I always wonder if everyone has amazing knowledge through keeping abreast of football league squads, watching action, reading reports, or whether they’re familiar with the names from playing FIFA, Football Manager etc as they’re computer game geeks.

You tell me people :-) 
    For me it's mostly knowing them from games, and watching SSN whilst listening to commentary from away games. Seeing names pop up on the screen and months later we sign them and I'll be like "oh I remember when he got a goal for Plymouth because Jeff Stelling said I hope you've got your CAMARA ready, because Panutche Camara has just scored" or something stupid like that
  • I always wonder if everyone has amazing knowledge through keeping abreast of football league squads, watching action, reading reports, or whether they’re familiar with the names from playing FIFA, Football Manager etc as they’re computer game geeks.

No idea, just beating Millwall on Fm 2024, with Haaland up front though, unreal!
  • Alfie May.

Combination of watching Soccer Saturday during away games, and watching Football Manager - My knowledge has seriously dropped in recent years, as dont watch / play either now

So limited to watching games via. the Premier League, or if they face Charlton.
  • I watch the EFL highlights show every week, so for example was able to see HOW good Alfie May was for Cheltenham in the last 2 seasons.
  • Today, to my great relief. Wasted hours on Football Manager don't seem so wasted after all...
  • Tyreeq Bakinson, weren’t we linked with him before?
  • Sponsored links:

• I’d heard of Camera and of course May but can’t say Jones stood out for Cambridge last season, although he’s been a great signing, but knew nothing of Edun, Watson x2, Tedic. Knew of Isted but only through watching the play off final (Tedic must have impressed  :)).
  • Alfie May

Before him.......Jayson Stockley.

Far too many signings are players that have never stood out or are bit part players for their teams. Maybe it because we dont have the clout or the money anymore.

I remember in the Prem years when I heard we had signed Danny Murphy. Although he might not have pulled up any trees whilst he was here, signing a player from Liverpool who had actually played a fair few games for them was a coup at the time. 
  • edited January 5
    Ron Saunders, Cliff Holton, Colin Appleton. My memory is not what it used to be.
  • Camara, although I had to go back and check that he was the one who'd impressed me for Plymouth against us a couple of seasons ago.
  • About 8pm.

I think you'll find it's because a lot of people have an over-inflated opinion of their own football knowledge and generally talk bollocks.

I mean, just how many games will people have seen anyone at this level play in the past, excluding games against us? But that doesn't stop them trying to sound like they are some sort of AI algorithm writing super scout.

Takes all sorts.  
  • Not quite the last, but Joe Ledley was a big name. That went well!
  • Watson and Pratley. Quite remarkable that they now seem to be from some forgotten golden age. 
  • Omar Bogle. Remember being happy as he was the first signing we'd made in a while that I knew the name... 

Turned out well.
  • This season: bakinson, may and camara
    Last season: hector