Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Year, New You blah blah

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    - Trying to cut out the booze for three months
    - No bread, potatoes, red meat, added sugar or any (if possible) processed food. One of my retirement jobs is cooking, which I love doing, and it will be fresh and from scratch
    - Gym three times a week, including cardio, free weights and swimming
    - Walking - trying to average 10,000 steps per day but needs to stop fecking raining!
    - On my last pack of cigs - 7 left! Might need some vapes for the first few weeks.

All together a very serious attempt to gain good general fitness - I want my retirement to be active.
    Good luck Bob.  With the cigarettes I would try just stopping.  I know everyone is different, but when I quit a good few years ago now, I just stopped and as you get a bit more freedom back in the lungs and the chest, that was enough.  Appreciate it’s easier said than done 
  • edited January 2
    cabbles said:
    Walked on average 7 miles a day last year, despite that I’ve put on a stone over the year. I need to watch was I eat & drink, so I’ve started using my fitness pal to log my intake, so not to over eat & dinner. Hopefully with my walking, I should lose the timber.
    Surprised at that mate as always see your walks on twitter and as I understand it, it’s one of the best ways to lose weight.  That being said diet is important as you get older (and I don’t mean that in derogatory way).  

I’m not gonna do any alcohol for the foreseeable.  I’ve done 3 months off the booze before in recent years, so I think it’s doable.  Gonna try and be a regular on the peloton as well.  I’ve had it for almost 3 years, but finding the time since my boy was born is tough.  I like hit and hill exercises, but sometimes it can be up to 2 weeks in between getting on. It means I’m knackered as I’m not building up a stamina.  I’ve managed to stay at a level for a while now, but I would like to kick on and beat my PB
    150 calories extra a day, equals a stone over a year, so it’s easy done and I just think I’ve done my steps, so it’s not a problem. Sometimes, I just eat for eating's sake, I’m 60 this year and reasonably fit, but could be fitter.
  • bobmunro said:
    - No bread, potatoes, red meat, added sugar or any (if possible) processed food. One of my retirement jobs is cooking, which I love doing, and it will be fresh and from scratch
    - Walking - trying to average 10,000 steps per day but needs to stop fecking raining!
    - On my last pack of cigs - 7 left! Might need some vapes for the first few weeks.

All together a very serious attempt to gain good general fitness - I want my retirement to be active.

I stopped smoking about 15 years ago. I used boiled sweets. Everytime I wanted a cigarette I would eat a sweet instead. That along with willpower worked for me.
    Only problem then was I got a habit for boiled sweets. But that was easier to stop than the cigarettes 😄

• Fumbluff said:
    I need to find the time to do couch to 5k again as my parkrun times are getting far too shitty. 
    I also want to do some sort of volunteering to bring my karma back up to average
    Do you like shovelling chicken shit? Amazingly some people volunteer at the hen sanctuary because it’s an outside gym (and free!)
    I’m not too fond of shit but you might’ve talked me into it had I still been over your way, but it would be a bit of a trek to get to you now just for shit shovelling. A Poo Trek. 
  • Doing dry January is hard when my missus hosts a weekly pub quiz every tuesday and expects me to go
  • bobmunro said:

Bar the cigs (good luck), this sounds @bobmunro
    like the worst retirement ever! 

good luck mate 

It's only for three months, AFKA!
  • I am aiming to take Dua Lipa out on a date, 

That's more so an every year thing though than just this year
  • Sponsored links:

• Learn the guitar (got one for Christmas)
  • Doing dry January is hard when my missus hosts a weekly pub quiz every tuesday and expects me to go
    You can get some really decent 0% beers these days if you haven’t tried them already. Plus it seems much more acceptable to go to a pub and not drink alcohol now. Not the ordeal it used to be. 
  • I gave up social media (FaceAche, Insta, etc.)!
  • bobmunro said:

Buy yourself some decent breathable waterproofs, will be one of the best purchases you ever make.  I walk come rain, snow, sun, doesn't bother me in the slightest.  Just stick the airpods in and put my podcasts on, an audio book or some music.  Or just plain old Talksport depending what time of day it is.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    bobmunro said:

Buy yourself some decent breathable waterproofs, will be one of the best purchases you ever make. 

And some decent waterproof trainers.

• Walked on average 7 miles a day last year, despite that I’ve put on a stone over the year. I need to watch was I eat & drink, so I’ve started using my fitness pal to log my intake, so not to over eat & dinner. Hopefully with my walking, I should lose the timber.
    Thats the way to do it.  I'm walking a similar distance to you, I hit 5.15m steps last year (2,549 miles) but I still need to count my calories if I want to drop weight, I need to make myself accountable in terms of portion sizes and grabbing treats all the time.

For double bubble, do the counting calories alongside intermittent fasting.  I only eat between 12noon and 8pm.  Once you get used to it, missing breakfast is easy.  I walk 5-6 miles a day before lunchtime 99% of the time.  I've read that it helps to lower blood pressure.
  • Stig said:
    I'm going to have a go at couch to 5k. Might try some park runs after that. Nothing to do with new year though. Not sure if I'll manage it, as Im still carrying an old bird watching injury. 
    Do it, you won’t regret it
  • red10 said:
    Working through the house and garages to clear out all the crap we have accumulated over the years house is at bursting point so it’s got to be done. Happy New Year All.
    we’ve got so much toot 
    I wasn’t expecting that…..
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Doing dry January is hard when my missus hosts a weekly pub quiz every tuesday and expects me to go
    You can get some really decent 0% beers these days if you haven’t tried them already. Plus it seems much more acceptable to go to a pub and not drink alcohol now. Not the ordeal it used to be. 
    Doesn’t get you pissed though.
  • edited January 3
    Steer clear of the post match threads when we lose. Did that on New Year's day , felt better for it.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Walked on average 7 miles a day last year, despite that I’ve put on a stone over the year. I need to watch was I eat & drink, so I’ve started using my fitness pal to log my intake, so not to over eat & dinner. Hopefully with my walking, I should lose the timber.
    Thats the way to do it.  I'm walking a similar distance to you, I hit 5.15m steps last year (2,549 miles) but I still need to count my calories if I want to drop weight, I need to make myself accountable in terms of portion sizes and grabbing treats all the time.

For double bubble, do the counting calories alongside intermittent fasting.  I only eat between 12noon and 8pm.  Once you get used to it, missing breakfast is easy.  I walk 5-6 miles a day before lunchtime 99% of the time.  I've read that it helps to lower blood pressure.
    I never go out the door without breakfast, there’s no I’ll be doing that, when I’m hungry i loose interest in anything I’m doing.
  • Disillusioned, I decided to change clubs. Stuck a pin in and pulled out Man City. What a stroke of luck.
    Good luck with ticket prices!!
  • Boom said:
    se9addick said:
    Doing dry January is hard when my missus hosts a weekly pub quiz every tuesday and expects me to go
    Doesn’t get you pissed though.
    Correct - I am my own worst enemy
  • My aim to work less hours hasn’t made it to the 3rd Jan :-( 
  • Spend less time aimlessly scrolling on my phone. My screentime has averaged 6 hours a day at points, which if I could halve would get me 3 hours extra a day to do something productive. I find myself constantly picking up my phone for no reason.

Also lose a bit of weight, is there a weightloss thread this year?
  • Mines defo to lose weight. Went from 121kg to 84kg in 2018. Weighed myself yesterday and i'm 125.5kg. What an idiot I was to put it all back on (+VAT)! So no booze outside of weddings & stag dos for 2024.
  • Mines defo to lose weight. Went from 121kg to 84kg in 2018. Weighed myself yesterday and i'm 125.5kg. What an idiot I was to put it all back on (+VAT)! So no booze outside of weddings & stag dos for 2024.
    Well, at least you know you can do it! Pretty impressive loss - I was happy losing 7 or 8 kilos last year!

I weigh myself every day (same time of day) and make a note. It helps keep me mindful of food and booze consumption.