Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Bristol Rovers V Charlton Athletic : Friday 29th December 2023 : KO 19:45

Tonight everybody we travel to the West Country to take on Bristol Rovers in yet another must win game, but now it is a must win to try and resurrect some sort of PRIDE in our wonderful Club, and keep us looking upwards rather than the other way, because I think unless there is a miracle about to happen in January, any thought of Playoffs look rather remote to say the least..
Rovers sit three places above us, and don't have a too dissimilar record, but have picked up some good results lately, notably a couple of 2-1 victories against Bolton and Portsmouth, so will be a very stern test for us, heart always say's yes...head is starting to have doubts, would settle for a draw maybe 1-1, but come on lads give us a good send off to 2023, heart still says 1-2...🤞
We have clashed on 69 previous occasions winning 25, the Pirates 25 and the remaining 19 encounters producing draws, Bristol Rovers won the reverse fixture 2-1 back in August thanks to McCormick's 98th-minute strike...be nice to avoid a double wouldn't it...
Extreme Kudos to anyone who has made the long trip to The Memorial Stadium tonight...👍

Let's see what Mr A has in store for us tonight....

Karoy Anderson will start for the Addicks in tonight's game against Bristol Rovers. he replaces Scott Fraser, who misses out with a minor calf issue, in the Charlton midfield and academy starlet Patrick Casey is named in a senior league squad for the first time.

Tennai Watson, Michael Hector, Lloyd Jones and Tayo Edun continue in an unchanged back four in front of goalkeeper Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Anderson will join skipper George Dobson in midfield with Daniel Kanu, Chem Campbell and Corey Blackett-Taylor playing behind Alfie May, although there remains the option for Kanu to play up front with May operating from the right flank.

Casey is joined on the bench by Sam Walker, Nathan Asiimwe, Terell Thomas, Louie Watson, Tyreece Campbell and Boban Tedić.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; T.Watson, Hector, Jones, Edun; Dobson (c), Anderson; May, C.Campbell, Blackett-Taylor; Kanu

Subs: Walker, Asiimwe, Thomas, L.Watson, T.Campbell, Tedić, Casey

Congratulation for Patrick Casey making his senior squad debut tonight

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I think that's Fraser done. 

Hoping May is back to his best position on the wing ;) 
  • Options
    Don't really matter, we are going to get tonked whoever we play....
  • Options
    😂 He really hates Louie Watson doesn't he
  • Options
    I thought Anderson looked good early in the season.....but lots of water has passed under the (Dartford) bridge since then & I'm not sure whether he is good enough to fight the battle in midfield that will be needed.

Weak bench too. 
  • Options
    Anderson has actually been a hindrance the last few times he's played. Hopefully that isn’t the case this eve
  • Options
    The latest insult to Louie Watson, I see. FFS. Anderson has not looked anywhere near good enough for a start. I dont care if he is ours and Watson is not. Appleton needs to make the most of the resource at his disposal. 

I dont think I am going to waste my time with this shite. 
  • Options
    Leuth .Why do you think that is fraser done
    .He has a minor calf strain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    G’wan Casey 💚
  • Options
    I really hoped we'd change the formation a bit, maybe with 3 at the back. 
  • Options
    Can see Watson going back to Luton and then loaned out again to another League 1 club next week.
  • Options
    I've decided at the last minute to buy the  stream tonight....I must be insane! 
  • Options
    You have to give it to Appleton he doesn’t shy away from starting players who have been nowhere near previously. A few weeks ago CCambell couldn’t get a look in ( I’m pleased he is but can he play wide plz ) and now Anderson starts from nowhere

time will tell but I still think we are on for a tonking
  • Options
    Smash and Grab tonight.
    Need two strikes like that tonight to have any chance of a point.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    AndyG said:
    You have to give it to Appleton he doesn’t shy away from starting players who have been nowhere near previously. A few weeks ago CCambell couldn’t get a look in ( I’m pleased he is but can he play wide plz ) and now Anderson starts from nowhere

Makes his apparent freezing out of players look so bizarre imo. Probably give L. Watson a 10 game starting streak from new year's onwards 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    😂 He really hates Louie Watson doesn't he
    Exactly what I thought.

One of the only players who I think has actually good this season and can't get a proper look in under Appleton.
  • Options
    Starting to wonder if there’s some clause in Watson’s loan that gets activated after X number of starts, otherwise can’t see why he isn’t starting 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watson to return to Luton? He’s not a 10, from what MA said a while ago he probably doesn’t see him as strong enough defensively to play one of the holding roles (neither is Fraser but he persisted with it).
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Can't see anything other than a defeat tonight. Hopefully MA is gone after tonight 
  • Options
    Have bought the stream, although not feeling remotely optimistic after the last few inept performances.

As Curbs has just remarked, the owners really need to come out and say what their plan is.
  • Options
    Why is he playing CBT when he is taking too many touches?

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Watson to return to Luton? He’s not a 10, from what MA said a while ago he probably doesn’t see him as strong enough defensively to play one of the holding roles (neither is Fraser but he persisted with it).
    Are we going to continue playing with a 10 though? Or if we are going for Clarke- Harris will be switching to more of an orthodox front 2 and a flatter midfield 3?
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Never a good sign when managers chop and change seemingly randomly.
  • Options
    Fraser completely dropped - excellent news.  Perhaps we’re really lucky and someone has put a bid in for him and he’s leaving in Jan 🤞
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Fraser completely dropped - excellent news.  Perhaps we’re really lucky and someone has put a bid in for him and he’s leaving in Jan 🤞
    Injured, accordingly
  • Options

Rovers home form is very good. Unbeaten here since August in League One. They've beaten two of the top three over the last few weeks under new boss and former #cafc defender Matt Taylor
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Are we going to continue playing with a 10 though? Or if we are going for Clarke- Harris will be switching to more of an orthodox front 2 and a flatter midfield 3?
    If that was MAs preferred formation I think we’d have seen it by now. If we sign JCH he’d probably be the main striker with May continuing in the 10 or on the right. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!