Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Keeper Needed

2»

Comments

• Nice lad Ashley but we need better. He doesn't have the character yet for a top goalie and his skillset doesn't make up for it. I don't think his shot stopping is as good as made out, no different from most CAFC keepers we have had. 

A goalie isn't the number 1 priority, but it's hard to even make a case as Ash as a decent keeper in this league. I don't think many teams above us or below us would want to stop swap. 

3 clean sheets the whole season, doesn't tell the whole story but sometimes a keeper can win you a clean sheet on his own, Isted proved that at Shrewsbury away. 

Clean sheet table: 

Just an example i m o

Max Crocombe at the bottom of your list was at Grimsby last season, supposedly he left to return to his native New Zealand, he only got as far as Burton.
    Since he's left, Grimsby's form seems to have left with him, coincidence ?, I don't think so, he was very important to the team. 
    He's now a division higher in a team that's not performing very well, but was good enough to draw at the Valley and he got an assist (pretty unusual for a keeper) for the only goal that beat Blackpool in Burton's last game .. the point ??? .. apart from wishing he, or as good a keeper was with us, as said, Grimsby have declined since he left, and I suspect Burton would be a lot worse off without him
  • A new GK not being the priority is only because of things we need MORE. A new, more commanding keeper is probably not going to happen in January but needs to be top of the list for Summer.
  • lots of posters don't think a keeper is a very high priority .. a good keeper is as valuable as a 25 goal a season striker, perhaps more so i m o .. strikers might win games, but good keepers go a long way to keep a team in the hunt in all games, win or draw
  • If he was the best shot stopper in the league then you could probably overlook the weaknesses. A bit like Dillon Phillips but he probably was the best in the league, so we could overlook the fact he was also not great with distribution/coming off his line. 
  • He has the 14th best save percentage in L1 and is the definition of a mid table league 1 keeper. Doesn't particularly excel at anything but isn't particularly terrible at anything. Just average.

I think we need better personally.
  • Surprised to see Will Norris has the most clean sheets in the league. Have always thought he looked quite dodgy. 
  • NabySarr said:
    If he was the best shot stopper in the league then you could probably overlook the weaknesses. A bit like Dillon Phillips but he probably was the best in the league, so we could overlook the fact he was also not great with distribution/coming off his line. 
    How long before Dillon returns?

He's not played much since leaving us, and has been on the bench all season for Rotherham, who have the worst defensive record in the Championship
  • His distribution needs to improve and he is not fantastic at crosses but he is far from being our priority issue. He is also young and improving.
  • His distribution needs to improve and he is not fantastic at crosses but he is far from being our priority issue. He is also young and improving.
    I don’t think he is improving though. To me he seems to be going backwards, and becoming more timid, which might reflect why he was dropped by Australia recently.
  • AMB is perfectly fine as a number two but he’s not a promotion getting GK. Not a priority for this January but I’d be disappointed if we don’t sign an experienced GK as number one in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's very average. Doesn't command his box and i don't really ever remember him making any particularly good saves. Haven't had a decent keeper since Amos.
  • edited December 2023
    Cloudworm said:
    He's very average. Doesn't command his box and i don't really ever remember him making any particularly good saves. Haven't had a decent keeper since Amos.
    Who equally got heavily bemoaned on here for the amount of long range shots that beat him.

Dont recall many complaints when he left, given we replaced him with Portsmouth's POTY
  • Cloudworm said:
    He's very average. Doesn't command his box and i don't really ever remember him making any particularly good saves. Haven't had a decent keeper since Amos.
    Who equally got heavily bemoaned on here for the amount of long range shots that beat him.

Dont recall many complaints when he left, given we replaced him with Portsmouth's POTY
    Yeah, that's a measure of how bad Portsmouth must have been at the time. He was also below par.
  • Cloudworm said:

Amos was the best of recent seasons - at least he commanded the area .  
  • edited December 2023
    Cloudworm said:

Portsmouth's POTY and one of, if not the, worst first choice keepers we've had. Funny old game. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Cloudworm said:

Amos was massively overrated by a large proportion of our fans while he was here. And the same people thought Nick Pope was crap. 

I think everyone is finally coming around to the same conclusion on Ash though.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Cloudworm said:

Amos was massively overrated by a large proportion of our fans while he was here. And the same people thought Nick Pope was crap. 

Was he? I remember him being torn to pieces for letting a few long shots in. 
  • edited December 2023
    Talal said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Cloudworm said:

Was he? I remember him being torn to pieces for letting a few long shots in. 
    I was one of those people lol - maybe I just was the loudest idk. I remember disagreeing with a decent number of people on his ability. What I saw, he wasn’t good enough to be a long term solution / only ever been good enough to play in League One and not the Championship etc.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Cloudworm said:

The first Amos spell he was very very good, when he came back he wasn’t anywhere near as good