Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brownie and Curbs

edited December 2023 in General Charlton
Just get them in now!
Both understand the club and can see everything that is wrong with the playing side of our club.
At worst, they could not do any worse than we are doing now?
Plus they have been watching us weekly for the past few years so already know our weaknesses and possible strengths.
Much better than another annom coming in needing time to evaluate the squad!

Comments

• Options
    Spot on from @Stig
  • Options
    Just get them in now!
    Both understand the club and can see everything that is wrong with the playing side of our club.
    At worst, they could not do any worse than we are doing now?
    Plus they have been watching us weekly for the past few years so already know our weaknesses and possible strengths.
    Much better than another annom coming in needing time to evaluate the squad!
    Agreed. We have to find a way to stop the downward spiral and inject some passion back into the team. We have to bring the fans and the team back together again, because there is increasing distain towards many in this team.

There would be no place for shirkers, or anyone giving less than 100%, they wouldn't stand for it.

Curbs rarely made a bad signing. In recent years 75% of our signings have been a complete waste.

Why would they take it on?
    Simple. Because they love the club like us fans, in fact they are fans.

If Brownie could afford to do the job for nothing, I'm sure he would, and Curbs could still fit in plenty of holidays, including free ones when we play in Europe!
  • Options
    It’s so much easier to sit in a studio and dissect what’s going wrong and with no evidence, or need to be actually able to back it up or explain actually how you would do it - say what you think would fix it.

Plenty of people can do that, but it does not make them able to actually manage and run a team which is a complete different skill. Football is not easy.

As much as I respect both, particularly Curbs, there’s a reason one has never coached a senior team at this level, and the other has been out the game for 15 years. I just don’t have the faith they would be able to turn around what are long standing issues with a series of poor owners, poor recruitment, and lack luster coaches. 

We need changes from the bottom up which will take both time and money. But we have a fan base who think will not necessarily except the time, and owners are not willing to part with the money or have spent the money very poorly. 

Just all feels a bit dour at the moment. 
  • Options
    We seem to be lurching from bad to worse, but I wouldn’t want them to tarnish what they’d done for the club previously.
  • Options
    Will never happen in a million years. They care too much and get Charlton. 
  • Options
    More chance of me flying to the moon . They aren’t stupid . They can see we are run by a bunch of chancers . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saying the right things and doing the right things are completely different. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Oh dear!!!

Far more to it, than talking a good game on Charlton TV... Look at Brown's record at Dover!! 
    Not in charge though at Dover

The pair of them would not touch it, however what Brown said after the game yesterday was bang on the money. 
  • Options
    I think Curbs is on record as not wanting another managerial job and I would imagine watching this tosh week in/week out and understanding what’s going on behind the scenes would make him even less inclined to change that position to take us on. 

Brown is entertaining most of the time, I’m not convinced he would be an amazing appointment at this level however. 
  • Options
    He wouldn’t, but if he tells you (some of) the players aren’t trying you should believe him.
    I believe him. I've watched this team all season and can see that too many of those players don't play like they care, ENOUGH!
    No way should either of these two respected icons be subjected to the shit show of managing these time wasters. 
  • Options
    He wouldn’t, but if he tells you (some of) the players aren’t trying you should believe him.
    The post match comments should be shown to the players before each training session and game.

He has said that he tried coaching and didn't enjoy it.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    The post match comments should be shown to the players before each training session and game.

until we solve the centre forward and formation problem, asking players to run around more isn't going to do much 
  • Options
    The way Brownie was talking about Neil Harris yesterday, it sounded like he had been interviewing for many jobs including with Harris. If not coaching, then what?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The way Brownie was talking about Neil Harris yesterday, it sounded like he had been interviewing for many jobs including with Harris. If not coaching, then what?
    He's doing media work for other channels as well as Charlton TV.DOUCHER said:
    Crusty54 said:

until we solve the centre forward and formation problem, asking players to run around more isn't going to do much 
    His major point was that none of the team were professional enough to pull on the shirt.
  • Options
    I was heartbroken when Curbs left the club and always so desperately wanted him to come back to manage us but that sentiment has changed since a few years ago. Maybe it's me becoming more realistic, and more matured when thinking about certain things. Curbs is the same age of my dad who's been retired for six years now. Being a manager really is tough work - it's probably one of the toughest/the most stressful jobs in the world. I don't think it'd be good for him to do this at the age of 66, especially he's been out of it for so long. The passion can't be there anymore.

Having said that, I'd be thrilled if either of them (especially Curbs) were brought in as some sort of consultant or even DoF. That'd be much less stressful. (But maybe we're now too "broke" to afford that kind of position...)
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I believe him. I've watched this team all season and can see that too many of those players don't play like they care, ENOUGH!
    No way should either of these two respected icons be subjected to the shit show of managing these time wasters. 
    I’ve previously always given players the benefit of the doubt over this, because I just couldn’t see how it would benefit a player to doss about on the pitch, rather than give 100%. Having played Sunday League it was always 99% effort, 1% talent, but perhaps those with real talent believe they can get away with cruising through a game. Anyway, I think I’ll pay more attention to Brownie from now on. 
    Perhaps we’ll see more effort on Friday, as the pressure is really on.
    BTW, didn’t realise Curbs was 66. He looks very good for his age. 
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    I was heartbroken when Curbs left the club and always so desperately wanted him to come back to manage us but that sentiment has changed since a few years ago. Maybe it's me becoming more realistic, and more matured when thinking about certain things. Curbs is the same age of my dad who's been retired for six years now. Being a manager really is tough work - it's probably one of the toughest/the most stressful jobs in the world. I don't think it'd be good for him to do this at the age of 66, especially he's been out of it for so long. The passion can't be there anymore.

Having said that, I'd be thrilled if either of them (especially Curbs) were brought in as some sort of consultant or even DoF. That'd be much less stressful. (But maybe we're now too "broke" to afford that kind of position...)
    Good points. I don't think anyone would be expecting Curbs to be able to put in another 20+ years stint.
    However I think a couple of years may just be enough to turn the tide, bring the club together and give it a huge lift, then hand over the reins when on an upward trajectory, rather than stuck in this inescapable downward trajectory.
    He's getting on, but still fit and good for his age. Certainly younger and fitter than the likes of Fergie or Roy Hodgson who still managed to to a great job at a much higher level when far older.
  • Options
    Brownie's rant about effort and commitment is totally justified, but (bearing in mind he's not exactly been a roaring success in coaching/management) it has to be more than that.

I get his contempt for professionals who won't 'throw their bodies on the line', but I'm just as frustrated at players who refuse to kick with either foot, who switch off in defence,  who continually play crap passes.  Dobson generally gives 100%, as Brownie acknowledged on Tuesday...but he is as much part of the problem as the rest of them IMO.  We need quality as well as attitude
  • Options
    Brownie's rant about effort and commitment is totally justified, but (bearing in mind he's not exactly been a roaring success in coaching/management) it has to be more than that.

I get his contempt for professionals who won't 'throw their bodies on the line', but I'm just as frustrated at players who refuse to kick with either foot, who switch off in defence,  who continually play crap passes.  Dobson generally gives 100%, as Brownie acknowledged on Tuesday...but he is as much part of the problem as the rest of them IMO.  We need quality as well as attitude
    Exactly this. Our problem definitely isn’t solely a lack of effort, it’s more a lack of quality / depth (especially upfront where we currently only have May).

When Aneke or Leaburn play we are significantly better but without them we are bottom half of league one standard.
  • Options

Exactly this. Our problem definitely isn’t solely a lack of effort, it’s more a lack of quality / depth (especially upfront where we currently only have May).

When Aneke or Leaburn play we are significantly better but without them we are bottom half of league one standard.
    No question mark regarding the coaching, I note.

Or indeed, belief in the manager .....

Ask young Tyreece if he's getting what he needs from the coaching staff to help him get his mojo back.

And I wouldn't bet on seeing Chuks & Miles back this season.

Sorry, but I just feel MA has lost the dressing room. 
  • Options
    Curbs had a great relationship with the Chairman and a great group of directors. Brownie not only had the skill but an amazing fighting spirit. Not quite the situation at present !

• Options
    Not levelling this at you at all FF, as it feels quite clear that Appleton has a habit of ‘alienating’ players which I imagine can rub people up the wrong way - so it certainly is not beyond the realms of possibility.

However it always seems to be a relatively common theme when we are not going great that it’s because the manager has lost the dressing room.

Personally I think he is an average league one manager with an average league one team. I think I great manager could get good results with this team, and on the flip side I think Appleton would get good results with a great squad.

But we are not there. 
  • Options
    Jessie said:

Good points. I don't think anyone would be expecting Curbs to be able to put in another 20+ years stint.
    However I think a couple of years may just be enough to turn the tide, bring the club together and give it a huge lift, then hand over the reins when on an upward trajectory, rather than stuck in this inescapable downward trajectory.
    He's getting on, but still fit and good for his age. Certainly younger and fitter than the likes of Fergie or Roy Hodgson who still managed to to a great job at a much higher level when far older.
    Yeah great idea. The question is whether he'd want to do that. I doubt it...