Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ex-Charlton players who also played for (1) Gillingham and Southend and (2) Orient and Southend ?

I've read an interesting article about pairs of clubs who have been represented by the same player whilst in the league. Rochdale and Oldham are top of the pile with 123 , followed by Lincoln and Notts County (115), Exeter and Torquay (112), Rochdale and Stockport (109) and Rochdale and Bury (106). Geographical proximity and a similar status of the clubs are clearly key factors.

Charlton don't feature in that list but they are joint fourth in the list of trios of clubs who have 'shared' the most players, in this case with Gillingham and Southend - a total of 16. Whilst the late Colin Cameron and Dr Kish could doubtless rattle the names off, the only ones that I can recall off hand are Joe Pigott, Peter Hunt and Jim Stannard. 

Charlton, Orient and Southend feature in eighth place in the same table, with 15 players. The only players that spring to mind are Ricky Otto and Joe Pigott (again). Who are the others ?

Comments

• Think David Mooney also played for Orient and Southend , Franck Moussa played for Gillingham and Southend. Like Pigott, Scott Houghton played for Gillingham , Orient and Southend as well as Charlton.
  • Stig said:

Here’s what I’ve got. There may be some later ones too: 

Charlton, Gillingham and Southend: Henry Allen (V061) also played for the magnificently named Gnome Athletic; Derek Woodley (V333); Derek Bellotti (V359); Peter Hunt (V372); Martin Robinson (V410); Jim Stannard (V463); Simon Royce (V580)…

Charlton, Orient and Southend: Harold Halse (V009); Fred Dewhurst (V020); Steve Smith (V040); Bobby Turnbull (V066); Jack Oakes (V188) trial only for Clapton Orient; Terry Brisley (V409); Ricky Otto (V558); Chris Bart-Williams (V588); Jamal Campbell-Ryce (V609); Sam Lloyd (V624); Alan McCormack (V705)…

Lloyd Sam  :)
  • edited December 2023
    James Walker played for all 4 clubs.

Edit but never played for our first team.
  • Stig said:

Here’s what I’ve got. There may be some later ones too: 

Charlton, Gillingham and Southend: Henry Allen (V061) also played for the magnificently named Gnome Athletic; Derek Woodley (V333); Derek Bellotti (V359); Peter Hunt (V372); Martin Robinson (V410); Jim Stannard (V463); Simon Royce (V580)…

Charlton, Orient and Southend: Harold Halse (V009); Fred Dewhurst (V020); Steve Smith (V040); Bobby Turnbull (V066); Jack Oakes (V188) trial only for Clapton Orient; Terry Brisley (V409); Ricky Otto (V558); Chris Bart-Williams (V588); Jamal Campbell-Ryce (V609); Sam Lloyd (V624); Alan McCormack (V705)…

Lloyd Sam  :)
    Thanks @killerandflash. Edited now.
  • Thanks to Richard J for pointing out that Chris Bart-Williams didn't play for Southend.  For some reason, I read the wrong line and should have put Charlie MacDonald. Now amended.
  • Josh wright?
  • C_A_F_C said:
    James Walker played for all 4 clubs.

Edit but never played for our first team.
    I believe he scored for the first team in our last win at the Den… a pre season friendly… 17 years ago… and 11 years since the one before that… 
  • Which club have we shared the most players with? Feels like Ipswich!! But a hell of a lot of overlap with Palace… 
  • edited December 2023
    In very quick few seconds of thinking of top of head (edit sorry I appreciate I’m just completely going off on a tangent from the original topic heading!)

ipswich

holland
    Bent
    ambrose
    hermann
    fraser
    panutche 
    Haynes 

palace

whyte
    p williams
    morts 
    salako
    soares
    hudson
    mccarthy 
    butterfield 
    rak sak 
    J williams
    kaikai 
    flanagan 
  • Sponsored links:

• In very quick few seconds of thinking of top of head (edit sorry I appreciate I’m just completely going off on a tangent from the original topic heading!)

ipswich

holland
    Bent
    ambrose
    hermann
    fraser
    panutche 
    Haynes 

palace

whyte
    p williams
    morts 
    salako
    soares
    hudson
    mccarthy 
    butterfield 
    rak sak 
    J williams
    kaikai 
    flanagan 
    Ipswich = 2 x Bents 
  • In very quick few seconds of thinking of top of head (edit sorry I appreciate I’m just completely going off on a tangent from the original topic heading!)

ipswich

holland
    Bent
    ambrose
    hermann
    fraser
    panutche 
    Haynes 

palace

whyte
    p williams
    morts 
    salako
    soares
    hudson
    mccarthy 
    butterfield 
    rak sak 
    J williams
    kaikai 
    flanagan 
    Palace - Chris Powell / mark bright / Darren Pitcher 
  • I haven't counted all of them but a couple of years ago when I picked mutual teams for the programme the highest number was Gillingham which when adding Bonne and Williams to the number is now 67.

ipswich

holland
    Bent
    ambrose
    hermann
    fraser
    panutche 
    Haynes 

palace

whyte
    p williams
    morts 
    salako
    soares
    hudson
    mccarthy 
    butterfield 
    rak sak 
    J williams
    kaikai 
    flanagan 
    Palace - Chris Powell / mark bright / Darren Pitcher 
    Plus Inniss and Pardew. And Ambrose and M Bent also played for Palace

In recent years, Palace definitely seem to have been the London club we've shared most players with, way more than say Millwall or West Ham

ipswich

holland
    Bent
    ambrose
    hermann
    fraser
    panutche 
    Haynes 

palace

whyte
    p williams
    morts 
    salako
    soares
    hudson
    mccarthy 
    butterfield 
    rak sak 
    J williams
    kaikai 
    flanagan 
    Ipswich - Ray Crawford and Bobby Hunt
    Palace - John Sewell
  • Ipswich - don’t forget Matt Penney
  • Palace - Gonzalo Sorondo
  • Scoham said:
    Ipswich - don’t forget Matt Penney
    I really wish I could 
  • Crystal Palace John Sewell
  • Palace - Svensson, Humphrey
  • Sponsored links:

• Palace - Borrowdale, Darren Ward
  • Palace - Scott Sinclair
  • edited December 2023
    Ipswich - Eddie Youds, Kevin Lisbie, Andy Petterson, Joe Pigott, M Bonne, Chris Bart-Williams, Lee Bowyer