Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Clean Sheet Table 23/24

edited December 2023 in General Charlton
1. Stevenage (10)
2. Derby, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Peterborough (9)
6. Barnsley, Bolton, Lincoln, Cambridge (8)
10. Shrewsbury (7)
11. Wigan, Oxford, Exeter, Port Vale (6)
15. Orient, Wycombe, Northampton (5)
18. Burton (4)
19. Reading, Charlton, Bristol Rovers, Fleetwood, Cheltenham (3)
24. Carlisle (1)

Comments

• edited December 2023
    When I have time I might do a clean sheets allowed table - basically how many times has a team scored 0 and ‘allowed’ the opposition a clean sheet. I can’t find that stat readily available anywhere so will have to work it out manually.

For Charlton, this number would also be 3 (Bolton, Peterborough, Shrewsbury) which I suspect is one of the best in the division.
  • 1. Stevenage (10)
    10. Shrewsbury (7)
    18. Burton (4)
    24. Carlisle (1)
    Should we be looking at Stevenage defenders?
  • 19th in the table for clean sheets says it all.
  • 1. Stevenage (10)
    10. Shrewsbury (7)
    18. Burton (4)
    24. Carlisle (1)
    I suspect that individually they're nothing special, indeed pretty average.

It's the coaching and tactics that's created such a tight backline. Plus having the right combination.

8 clean sheets for struggling Cambridge is very impressive too. Michael Morrison at the heart of it.
  • 1. Stevenage (10)
    10. Shrewsbury (7)
    18. Burton (4)
    24. Carlisle (1)
    I think that’s too simplistic, it’s a bit like the conclusion that resulted in us buying Kirk because of his stats. Sandgaard told us he’d be even better than Millar but his lack of energy and intensity isn’t what you need when you’re looking to dominate and win promotion. Never mind play a high press.
  • Yeah we've tried 200 different defenders. Clearly it's a coaching and tactics issue. 
  • edited December 2023
    Only 9 league clean sheets for Charlton last season.

Their lowest amount since the 2019/2020 relegation back to League One. (Also 9 that season)

More Leaks than Thames Water

No improvement but it’s all about this Xg bollocks than what’s in front of your face 
  • LouisMend said:
    When I have time I might do a clean sheets allowed table - basically how many times has a team scored 0 and ‘allowed’ the opposition a clean sheet. I can’t find that stat readily available anywhere so will have to work it out manually.

For Charlton, this number would also be 3 (Bolton, Peterborough, Shrewsbury) which I suspect is one of the best in the division.
    The 'failed to score' table is as follows

TeamMPFTSFTS %
    1Exeter City FC191158%
    2Cheltenham Town FC191158%
    3Shrewsbury Town FC211257%
    4Carlisle United FC201050%
    5Burton Albion FC201050%
    6Port Vale FC19842%
    7Fleetwood Town FC19842%
    8Cambridge United FC20840%
    9Leyton Orient FC20840%
    10Wycombe Wanderers FC19737%
    11Northampton Town FC20630%
    12Lincoln City FC21629%
    13Blackpool FC21629%
    14Oxford United FC19526%
    15Reading FC19526%
    16Portsmouth FC19421%
    17Stevenage FC21419%
    18Charlton Athletic FC19316%
    19Wigan Athletic FC20315%
    20Bolton Wanderers FC18211%
    21Derby County FC19211%
    22Barnsley FC19211%
    23Bristol Rovers FC19211%
    24Peterborough United FC2015%

Thanks Louis - saved me a lot of effort!

Although that has now given me an idea... ratio of failed to score vs clean sheets. Wonder how well it would line up to the real league table...

• Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    shirty5 said:

Their lowest amount since the 2019/2020 relegation back to League One. (Also 9 that season)

No improvement but it’s all about this Xg bollocks than what’s in front of your face 
    The people who kept mentioning we hadn’t done enough in this area in the summer were right. I was too concerned who would be the new striker we would sign (Tedic). I had high hopes for Ness, but he’s struggled since injury. Thomas tries but shouldn’t have been kept on as back up left back or at CB. Neither full backs in Watson or Edun have the right profile to help us at set pieces. After watching that Aberdeen friendly, can’t believe I ever thought we would be near top 6 this season.

• I think I'll go & support Peterborough. Only failed to score in one game & 2nd best for clean sheets. 
  • edited December 2023
    CLEAN SHEET / FAILED TO SCORE / RATIO (ordered by ratio) / DIFFERENCE FROM LEAGUE POSITION (before points deductions)
    1. Peterborough 9 / 1 / 9.000 / (+3)
    2. Derby 9 / 2 / 4.500 / (+3)
    3. Bolton 8 / 2 / 4.000 / (-1)
    4. Barnsley 8 / 2 / 4.000 / (+3)
    5. Stevenage 10 / 4 / 2.500 / (-2)
    6. Portsmouth 9 / 4 / 2.250 / (-5)
    7. Wigan 6 / 3 / 2.000 / (+2)
    8. Blackpool 9 / 6 / 1.500 / (NC)
    9. Bristol R 3 / 2 / 1.500 / (+5)
    10. Lincoln 8 / 6 / 1.333 / (NC)
    11. Oxford 6 / 5 / 1.200 / (-5)
    12. Cambridge 8 / 8 / 1.000 / (+6)
    13. Charlton 3 / 3 / 1.000 / (-2)
    14. Northampton 5 / 6 / 0.833 / (-1)
    15. Port Vale 6 / 8 / 0.750 / (+2)
    16. Wycombe 5 / 7 / 0.714 / (-1)
    17. Orient 5 / 8 / 0.625 / (-1)
    18. Reading 3 / 5 / 0.600 / (+3)
    19. Shrewsbury 7 / 12 / 0.583 / (-7)
    20. Exeter 6 / 11 / 0.545 / (NC)
    21. Burton 4 / 10 / 0.400 / (-2)
    22. Fleetwood 3 / 8 / 0.375 / (NC)
    23. Cheltenham 3 / 11 / 0.273 / (+1)
    24. Carlisle 1 / 10 / 0.100 / (-1)

In the positions that matter (top six and bottom four), there's only one change at each end:

- Top Six: Oxford out, Barnsley in
    - Bottom Four: Reading out, Burton in

Obvious conclusion: if we had been able to keep 4 or 5 more clean sheets so far this season, we'd be mixing it with the playoff boys.
  • edited December 2023
    shirty5 said:

The people who kept mentioning we hadn’t done enough in this area in the summer were right. I was too concerned who would be the new striker we would sign (Tedic). I had high hopes for Ness, but he’s struggled since injury. Thomas tries but shouldn’t have been kept on as back up left back or at CB. Neither full backs in Watson or Edun have the right profile to help us at set pieces. After watching that Aberdeen friendly, can’t believe I ever thought we would be near top 6 this season.

66 league goals conceded last season the most since 2015/2016. 

The problem was for all to see except for the ones in charge 
  • 1. Stevenage (10)
    10. Shrewsbury (7)
    18. Burton (4)
    24. Carlisle (1)

Or their manager. 👀👀

Club and manager that were made for each other. I'm surprised it took them as long as it did to come together.
  • I think I'll go & support Peterborough. Only failed to score in one game & 2nd best for clean sheets. 
    See you then.
  • The failed to score table should be compiled in the other order with the lower percentages at the top.

In other words, a ’managed to score ’ table. It just seems wrong, having tables with the weakest placed at the top.
    I advise against it. It will disrupt your dinner time.
  • edited December 2023
    Exact same issue as last year as well. Whilst many posters have spent the last few seasons worrying about ‘where our goals are coming from’, our issue really for a long time has been at the back.

2 out of the last 3 seasons we have scored enough to be in the top 6, but not been solid enough at the back to reflect that - and it looks like this season is going to be the same.

The annoying thing is it was clear during that game against Wealdstone that non of those issues were solved and that there were massive gaps everywhere and lack of communication at the back.

Now it’s feel like it’s almost become a monkey on our back and imbedded in our cultural fabric. I don’t often agree with much of SLER’s often dour posts but really feel like it’s a coaching/tactical thing by now. 

I include everyone as part of this problem. Dobson included. 
  • Exact same issue as last year as well. Whilst many posters have spent the last few seasons worrying about ‘where our goals are coming from’, our issue really for a long time has been at the back.

2 out of the last 3 seasons we have scored enough to be in the top 6, but not been solid enough at the back to reflect that - and it looks like this season is going to be the same.

The annoying thing is it was clear during that game against Wealdstone that non of those issues were solved and that there were massive gaps everywhere and lack of communication at the back.

Now it’s feel like it’s almost become a monkey on our back and imbedded in our cultural fabric. I don’t often agree with much of SLER’s often dour posts but really feel like it’s a coaching/tactical thing by now. 

I include everyone as part of this problem. Dobson included. 
    I agree coaching/tactics is part of it, but our recruitment has been so poor in the last few years - seeing where players (especially defenders) end up after they leave us shows that. We're not getting good value for money for our budget, we're underperforming and signing too many players below the standard we need.
  • Sponsored links:

• Since relegation from the Championship

2020/21 - F 70 A 56
    2021/22 - F 55 A 59 
    2022/23 - F 70 A 66

After 19 games
    2023/24 - F 32 A 27
    Extrapolating to 46 games
    2023/24 - F 77 A 65

So we've got consistently worse at the back every full season, and this season shows no sign of improvement.
  • The old saying. 

Attack wins games 
    Defence win championships 
  • Yep, our problem has been obvious for a couple of seasons now. People obsessing over a 20 goal a season but clear that the problem is at the other end 
  • MrOneLung said:
    The old saying. 

Attack wins games 
    Defence win championships 
    Daft quote.

If the attack wins you games, and therefore you win all your games, then you win the title. 
  • If it wasn't for Alfie May we'd be in the bottom 4.

Just look at Cheltenham  
  • If it wasn't for Alfie May we'd be in the bottom 4.

Just look at Cheltenham  
    I said that to my mates on Saturday.
  • edited December 2023
    Bolton have had clean sheets in 8/10 of their last matches. It makes it so easy to win.

We've had many windows to build a top defence and failed. Look at Portsmouth who have put together that backline of: Ogilvie, Shaughnessy, Ragget and Rafferty along with Poole. I'd swap ours for theirs in an absolute heartbeat.

Then Stevenage who have built a squad who can press and press – 1st in the league for Possession won in the final 3rd. They take pressure off their defence by making it hard to reach it in the first place. 

We haven't built anything, neither in style or in player selection (other than the signing of Jones, which is an improvement). Hopefully that is about to change in January. (Doubtful, but hopeful).
  • Said from the start of the season we have one of the worst defences in the league. You could still probably go and look at almost, every other team in the league and pick anywhere between 1-4 defenders that replace ours. 

This list is hardly surprising for me tbh
  • Main thing is to get a settled side. Get a back 4 all playing together regularly and you might see a bit more solidity.