Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quadriceps Tear info

edited December 2023 in General Charlton
Tripped on Sunday when out walking, a nurse I know asked yesterday what I had done & started to tell her & she finished it for me " & it felt like somebody had hit you with something heavy?" yes exactly. Fortunately (for me) her husband had done the same thing & she gave me some detailed info on what I need to do & I've watched some videos today. Any one have any advice on this please ? One of the simplest things I was told is keep your leg raised, but when I'm in bed particularly what part of my leg should be supported, the foot, my knee or my thigh, does it matter ? I don't normally worry to much about simple things like sprains or anything but the nurse frightened me a bit with what she told me about this so want to get my recovery done correctly as walking plays a big part in my life. Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    Not being funny but since you asked my advice would be to ask a doctor or physio.

Nurses are fantastic, I even married one, but diagnosis not their primary role.

• Options
    Yes appreciate that but have you tried getting a doctors appointment recently ? If I could get one I would but her advice was the first 48 hours are vital for full & complete recovery with Ice treatment staying off my feet as much as possible, raising legs up etc. I would rather take her advice (& anymore that I can get) than wait for two weeks just to talk to a doctor on the phone & then have a further wait for an appointment.
  • Options
    Dont mean to frighten you Bob but a work colleague ruptured his quad slipping on ice on the commute to work.  He saw the doc, he sent him home.  He still couldnt walk a couple of weeks later and the quad had shrunk in size and he ended up having to have surgery and was in plaster for a couple of months and he was walking with a stick for 6 months or so.

Go and see a medical professional.  I'd go A&E or if you can still walk, book a Physio appointment.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Dont mean to frighten you Bob but a work colleague ruptured his quad slipping on ice on the commute to work.  He saw the doc, he sent him home.  He still couldnt walk a couple of weeks later and the quad had shrunk in size and he ended up having to have surgery and was in plaster for a couple of months and he was walking with a stick for 6 months or so.

Go and see a medical professional.  I'd go A&E or if you can still walk, book a Physio appointment.
    Echo this. I tore my quad...Can still physically see the effects of it now and it happened about 15 years ago. Saw the doc at the time and got sent home. Ended up paying for about 12 rounds of physio.

Keep it raised and ice it as much as possible, take as much anti inflam you can. Get yourself a decent compression bandage for when you're not icing.
  • Options
    I agree on the physio, especially if you can’ get in to a doctor. They will tell you what you need to be doing. 
  • Options
    I tore my quad 4/5 years ago. KT tape is an absolute godsend when it starts to heal.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Thanks John, yes the nurse warned of the danger of the quad shrinking, but seemed to think if I followed her advice it would be ok & I know nothing about medical stuff. Guess I better get a cab to A&E to be on the safe side. cheers
  • Options

Thanks all for comments
  • Options
    As for keeping your leg up, you need to keep the injured area above your heart. That’s to keep blood from pooling there I believe. You should do that for a couple of weeks. 
  • Options
    Call 111
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Call 111
    I did that a couple of years ago & they were quite helpful but the end of the day they got my totally disinterested doctor to call me, I think 111 had probably interrupted her dinner or bunk up. She asked me what the problem was, I told her my shin was very swollen & burning hot & some other info (can't remember what), so there was a bit of silence & she then said so how long has your foot been swollen ? I said it isn't my foot, it's my shin & she said I have to ask these questions ????? So after asking for other information that I had already given her said said ok I'll send a prescription to the chemist now. So I said OK thanks, what's the problem with my leg, Oh you've got an infection, well no shit sherlock. Went to the chemist & she hadn't sent it, I'm pretty sure she had contacted them but they hadn't received the prescription & couldn't contact her. Chemist received it the following day.