Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Camber Sands Holiday Park

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    LenGlover said:
    Asylum seekers to be housed at the sites
    The Home Office has denied this.
    It would deny it given that the Government wants to portray that it is sorting out immigration even though the reality appears to be the opposite.
    Immigrants and asylum seekers are slightly different things, Len. Though I do understand what you are getting at - some asylum seekers will become immigrants, at which point they can go out and start being useful to society.  
  • Options
    If the rumours about asylum seekers are true then it may make Rwanda seem a nicer option!
    This is absolutely not to make this thread in any way political but when the news of that proposal first came out all I could think was Arsenal have had "visit Rwanda" on their shirt sleeves for years and here is the British government using it as a threat, I've been under the impression it was an up and coming place to visit for the more adventurous traveller not an internment camp for illegal immigrants 
  • Options
    Went to All Tomorrow’s Parties there about 20
    years ago watching loads of obscure indie bands whilst I was fuelled on Stella. 
    I think it was curated by Shellac (Steve Albini’s band).
    Had a great time, the chalets were a dump though.
    I went to the Kerrang Weekender there, in 2003.

Then went to ATP 'The Nightmare Before Xmas', a year later (curated by Jake & Dinos Chapman - Shellac played that year too).

A good memory of the ATP trip, was going to the nearby pub & watching the famous "Dennis In the 90th Minute" game.
  • Options
    Any old timers on here who went on a lads holiday to Osmington Bay,Weymouth 1969
  • Options
    I think I went there in 1970, Not exactly a lads' holiday though as I would have been 13 at the time. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Stig said:
    I drove through Camber Sands last summer; the 'town', not the camp. I was hoping to find somewhere nice for a spot of lunch. The Whole area felt like a dilapidated throwback to another age. I didn't see anything nice, so drove back to Rye with an earworm of Everyday is Like Sunday running through my head. 
    The Owl at Camber is a lovely pub with great food, well it was the last time I went but been a couple of years since I’ve eaten in there.  I've stayed in a couple of lovely air bnbs there but there really isn't much to do in the evening.  

Was there for dinner about 3 weeks ago as had a weeks annual leave to use, so rented a house on the beach at Camber for the dog and I... The Owl is the only decent place to sit in and eat in Camber.. The curry house is great BUT you don't want to be eating in there and you need to allow at least double the time they say they'll take to cook it. Camber Landing is a 'new' deli/bar that serves Camber craft beer...brewed at Forest Road brewery in Hackney...is OK for a quick pint while waiting for your curry/fish and chips...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went there for a Bowly weekend of music in the mid 90’s. Pavement cancelled due to their horse running in the Kentucky Derb and were replaced with Belle & Sebastian as headliners.

The chalets were a shithole and they ran out of beer on the Saturday!!
  • Options
    My parents took us on a family holiday to Pontins at Camber in 1969, a year after it first opened. Very good memories of it then. Good facilities. This is a photo of the entertainments team that year. A very professional outfit they were. Shame it went so much downhill over the years.
    Ive got a photo of me and the fella in the middle with the blond (?) hair giving me a trophy when i won some sort of bonny little boy competition around the same time - i was a looker  - my god you should have seen my competition  
  • Options
    Pontins have decided to put the old girl out of her misery with immediate effect. Pain in the arse for my mate who runs two rock n roll weekenders there. Reading between the lines I don't think they bothered to inform him, which is rather amiss.

Still, those that have been recently said it was in desperately poor condition, and the cleaning left a lot to be desired. But I am sure many of us have some great memories of the place.     
    Does your mate know Sister Suzie?
  • Options
    Can't believe they haven't closed the Southport site too. Went there about 5 years ago. What a dump. Camber must be really really bad then.
  • Options
    Went there for a Bowly weekend of music in the mid 90’s. Pavement cancelled due to their horse running in the Kentucky Derb and were replaced with Belle & Sebastian as headliners.

The chalets were a shithole and they ran out of beer on the Saturday!!
    Bowlie was the forerunner to ATP and I believe was curated by Belle And Sebastian.

Bonnie Prince Billy played the year I went to ATP and was pretty pissed in the pub disco in the early hours dancing to Fools Gold 953 in his dungarees. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Stig said:
    I drove through Camber Sands last summer; the 'town', not the camp. I was hoping to find somewhere nice for a spot of lunch. The Whole area felt like a dilapidated throwback to another age. I didn't see anything nice, so drove back to Rye with an earworm of Everyday is Like Sunday running through my head. 
    The Owl at Camber is a lovely pub with great food, well it was the last time I went but been a couple of years since I’ve eaten in there.  I've stayed in a couple of lovely air bnbs there but there really isn't much to do in the evening.  

Was there for dinner about 3 weeks ago as had a weeks annual leave to use, so rented a house on the beach at Camber for the dog and I... The Owl is the only decent place to sit in and eat in Camber.. The curry house is great BUT you don't want to be eating in there and you need to allow at least double the time they say they'll take to cook it. Camber Landing is a 'new' deli/bar that serves Camber craft beer...brewed at Forest Road brewery in Hackney...is OK for a quick pint while waiting for your curry/fish and chips...
    Gallivant is my port of call in Camber.
  • Options
    Pontins have decided to put the old girl out of her misery with immediate effect. Pain in the arse for my mate who runs two rock n roll weekenders there. Reading between the lines I don't think they bothered to inform him, which is rather amiss.

Still, those that have been recently said it was in desperately poor condition, and the cleaning left a lot to be desired. But I am sure many of us have some great memories of the place.     
    I don't know, HR - I would imagine she has played the Rhythm Riot at some point? I do know Brian, her drummer. Incidentally she's playing a free gig at The Oval pub in Croydon on Sunday.  
  • Options

I don't know, HR - I would imagine she has played the Rhythm Riot at some point? I do know Brian, her drummer. Incidentally she's playing a free gig at The Oval pub in Croydon on Sunday.  
    Good singer and a cracking lass, comes from the north east but has made Hastings her home.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Curb_It said:
    Stig said:

service in there is too hit and miss for me....just too many times food has come out in dribs and drabs etc.. If you haven't been, then do recommend the Owl for a visit...or a bit further afield, The Plough, on the road out of Rye is better than both of them...Cheers
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Curb_It said:
    Stig said:

service in there is too hit and miss for me....just too many times food has come out in dribs and drabs etc.. If you haven't been, then do recommend the Owl for a visit...or a bit further afield, The Plough, on the road out of Rye is better than both of them...Cheers
    I would recommend the Globe Inn Marsh in Military Road - it's just outside Rye on the road towards Peasmarsh. Excellent food and nice atmosphere, plus friendly staff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I went there in 1970, Not exactly a lads' holiday though as I would have been 13 at the time. 
    I thought Osmington Bay was over 18's only 
  • Options
    Can't believe they haven't closed the Southport site too. Went there about 5 years ago. What a dump. Camber must be really really bad then.
    We went there about 20 years ago, it was an absolute tip then. I remember that Mrs Stig wouldn't let the kids play in the sand pit, because it was full of old dog ends.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    We went there about 20 years ago, it was an absolute tip then. I remember that Mrs Stig wouldn't let the kids play in the sand pit, because it was full of old dog ends.
    The only plus was it's walkable to the beach, so grandson had a good time on the sand. The clubhouse had shite beer so went to local pubs.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2023
    This was from 2016, we stayed 1 night
  • Options
    This reminds me of another place we use to visit when I was a kid, Leysdown. I won a plastic aeroplane that you launched with an elastic band. Crushed by a lorry 🚛 on its maiden ✈️😿

Went back a few years ago, right 💩 hole! Ah childhood and reality, never the Twain shall meet;)
    The Mrs is from Sheppey, her Mum tells me the island was a lovely place until “all you south Londoners arrived” 🤣
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    This reminds me of another place we use to visit when I was a kid, Leysdown. I won a plastic aeroplane that you launched with an elastic band. Crushed by a lorry 🚛 on its maiden ✈️😿

Went back a few years ago, right 💩 hole! Ah childhood and reality, never the Twain shall meet;)
    The Mrs is from Sheppey, her Mum tells me the island was a lovely place until “all you south Londoners arrived” 🤣
    Having 3 prisons there doesn't help with the influx of sarf Londoners.