Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Shane MacGowan

Comments

• Options
    I had forgotten that he came to see a band I was managing at Dingwalls once. Wish I had had the courage to go and chat with him.   
    Didn’t know you were in that business @Algarveaddick. Which band was it?
  • Options

strongly recommended
  • Options
    Born in Kent I Always thought he was Irish 
    Rest Easy Shane 
  • Options
    Huge irish hero.
    RIP Shane.
  • Options

‘The genius of Shane’s contribution includes that his songs capture within them, as Shane would put it, the measure of our dreams – of so many worlds and particularly those of love, of the emigrant experience and of living and seeing the sides of life that so many turn away from.’

– Irish President Michael D. Higgins pays tribute 

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Just a sad waste.  
  • Options
    Such a shame that he has passed, but what a life he led!  Thanks for the music...RIP Shane, God bless you sir. 
  • Options
    RIP Shane. 

I saw the Pogues in 1986 and 1988. The ‘88 show at the Town and Country Club was filmed and released on video. Kirsty McColl sang on a couple of the songs, including Fairy Tale of New York. Joe Strummer also came on and they did I Fought the Law and London Calling.

Sadly the decline in Shane as front man and singer between 1986 and 1988 was already evident with his vocals much diminished and hanging onto the mike stand to stay upright. It was a real shame as the band were phenomenal that night but obviously carrying Shane.

https://youtu.be/40gvMLEGqIs?si=SZvs1piwGC7A9nr0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lyrical genius, what a talent, what a pisshead. Read that when he had liver problems many years ago he washed his medication down with bottles of wine. Always  a brilliant night out with the Pogues :D RIP Shane
  • Options
    RIP Shane … lived life to the full
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Sad day. What a great character he was. Used to know him back in the day. He went to Westminster school, which might surprise some people. 

What also might surprise is he was born in Pembury, Kent, that well known republican stronghold 🤔which can also claim Jonny Williams, Ben Garner and Sam Billings as born in Pembury.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Wellred said:
    Born in Kent I Always thought he was Irish 
    Rest Easy Shane 

His parents were Irish and maybe just the drink talking ? But Macgowan was quoted as saying he wished he had the nerve to have joined the IRA and he was a friend of Gerry Adams.
    Still a great writer and lived the quintessential rock and roll life and death even if he way outlived the ' 27 group'.
  • Options
    Not a good day for deaths - this, Henry Kissinger, Alistair Darling and Jimmy Corkhill
  • Options
    A tremendous song writer for sure, leaves a terrific body of work.

Saw him 'perform' on two occasions but the less said about them the better.

His wife Victoria's book A Drink with Shane MacGowan was an illuminating if dispiriting read. 

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I had forgotten that he came to see a band I was managing at Dingwalls once. Wish I had had the courage to go and chat with him.   
    Didn’t know you were in that business @Algarveaddick. Which band was it?
    Rochee and the Sarnos. Once described by Sounds as "The oddballs of the cowpunk movement", which they weren't really, just a rockabilly band with a sense of humour.  
  • Options
    RIP Shane. 

I saw the Pogues in 1986 and 1988. The ‘88 show at the Town and Country Club was filmed and released on video. Kirsty McColl sang on a couple of the songs, including Fairy Tale of New York. Joe Strummer also came on and they did I Fought the Law and London Calling.

Sadly the decline in Shane as front man and singer between 1986 and 1988 was already evident with his vocals much diminished and hanging onto the mike stand to stay upright. It was a real shame as the band were phenomenal that night but obviously carrying Shane.

Was there at the T&C Club.
    Always dragged along by the then boyfriend to hold coats/pints etc as they chucked themselves about up the front.
    Brilliant night of many.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Shane. 

Was there at the T&C Club.
    Always dragged along by the then boyfriend to hold coats/pints etc as they chucked themselves about up the front.
    Brilliant night of many.
    I was there too, great night 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Saw a few bits of Shane’s funeral today, a great send off.
  • Options
    Brilliant 
  • Options
    Thats awesome
  • Options
    Agreed