Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Games we’ve won this season…

Won 7 games and the current positions of those teams we’ve beaten are:

14, 15, 16, 20, 21, 23, 24

Or put another way, we’ve played 9 games so far against teams currently in the top 12 and we have not won a single one of them. 

Fair to say mid table is exactly where we deserve to be 

Comments

• Options
    And lost to positions 1, 3, 5, 9, 11 and 19. Drawn with positions 2, 4, 8, 12 and 22.
    Mid table is where we are, mid table is likely to be where we will stay.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    It's been mentioned on the Charlton Live podcast a number of times but feel like there is a growing acceptance of this League One mediocrity. Hardly surprising since it feels like we've been mid-table for ages. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It's been mentioned on the Charlton Live podcast a number of times but feel like there is a growing acceptance of this League One mediocrity. Hardly surprising since it feels like we've been mid-table for ages. 
    It was a very low turnout for last night's match. I think a lot are voting with their feet rather than accepting it.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:
    It was a very low turnout for last night's match. I think a lot are voting with their feet rather than accepting it.
    It was bloody cold and on p.p.v telly.
  • Options
    I think Appleton has done well enough since he arrived and is looking to change that. I am hopeful he will and it is important in the meantime we hang on to the coat tails of the play offs.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:
    Remember when it was 'I don't care what league we play in, as long as we get them out' or 'when the new owners are in, people will be back' 

Well we have a team that doesn't disgrace themselves now, we have the best striker in the league, we have no obvious off field issues that are impacting the first team currently.

Where are all these people? 

Waiting for the opportunity to jump on Methven, scold Scott for January and a reason to start the Appleton out noises. 

• Options

I think they’re still in Carlisle!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:
    Remember when it was 'I don't care what league we play in, as long as we get them out' or 'when the new owners are in, people will be back' 

Well we have a team that doesn't disgrace themselves now, we have the best striker in the league, we have no obvious off field issues that are impacting the first team currently.

"I would take League 2 football if we get them out" was a quote made in dark Siberian Woolwich on a freezing night at the meeting about RD and his young muse.

Where are these people ?
    Watching on Charlton TV or other stream.
    Champion's league night. 
    Cold night.
    Old fan base(apologies to seniors there)
    Weary with the 4th year in League 1.
    Feel we are a mid table team as we haven't beaten a top 12 team.
    Atmosphere at the valley is flat.

It's a shame for our present squad who do try and especially for Alfie May who is a breath of fresh air and like a quality wine gets better with age.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:

Waiting for the opportunity to jump on Methven, scold Scott for January and a reason to start the Appleton out noises. 

The thing is, I am completely unsold on Methven, I don't rate our recruitment team (mostly) and I still haven't decided if Appleton is the man for the job yet. 

All that said, we still have a competitive team and there's every chance this is still a season where we could get promoted. Are people going to come back when we are back in the championship?

It's just depressing looking at all the empty seats. Over the course of football seasons, there is a direct correlation between teams achieving with high capacity compared to low. Imagine being those players walking out and seeing that many empty seats. I know they still get paid, but they're only human and it must be slightly demoralising.

Players want to play infront of big crowds. We moan about performances like yesterday, but bigger crowds impact players performances. Look at Pompey away for instance. 

Any way I don't want to be too negative, just wish we would pack the ground out more. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:

Where are you? Where are you!?

Let's be 'avin you 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:

I like the approach of those who are skeptical and who object to the state of affairs but continue to support the side. I noticed @Airman Brown was in his seat as usual despite the freezing temperatures. As long as you turn up I'm honestly happy for you to adopt any (coherent) position relevant to the club's running. Although I'd say "Appleton out" would be a pretty weird one right now 
  • Options
    We're 10th after a bad start, we have two games in hand from those above. I think we need to be looking at matching Derby's results, well slightly better to make play offs. 

It's do-able, it doesn't make great reading but more disappointed we couldn't beat a team 22nd away from home, fingers crossed we can kick on. 
  • Options
    I was in two minds about going last night but I went and the atmosphere was very flat. A convincing performance might help.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:

We have 8,000 season ticket holders and since 2010 have had just over 10,000 at League One just after the Covid restrictions were lifted

Unless we get promoted then this is the norm

For the gate last night, well it’s been no different for years for a midweek fixture at this time of year, and Charlton Tv makes people’s decision easier now just to sit indoors and pay an extra tenner instead 

If Season ticket prices worked out that you could only afford to miss 3 games per season then you might get a few more attending those midweek games 
  • Options
    Wait until the proposed parking restrictions kick in, last night would have likely looked even emptier if already enforced.
  • Options
    And lost to positions 1, 3, 5, 9, 11 and 19. Drawn with positions 2, 4, 8, 12 and 22.
    Mid table is where we are, mid table is likely to be where we will stay.
    So we lose to odd numbers and draw with even numbers. There must be a way of exploiting this at the bookies
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:

The thing is, I am completely unsold on Methven, I don't rate our recruitment team (mostly) and I still haven't decided if Appleton is the man for the job yet. 

All that said, we still have a competitive team and there's every chance this is still a season where we could get promoted. Are people going to come back when we are back in the championship?

It's just depressing looking at all the empty seats. Over the course of football seasons, there is a direct correlation between teams achieving with high capacity compared to low. Imagine being those players walking out and seeing that many empty seats. I know they still get paid, but they're only human and it must be slightly demoralising.

Players want to play infront of big crowds. We moan about performances like yesterday, but bigger crowds impact players performances. Look at Pompey away for instance. 

Any way I don't want to be too negative, just wish we would pack the ground out more. 
    Your previous post said we have no off fields issue’s that are impacting the first team?

Make your mind up and stick too it😀
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:

• Options
    Makes you wonder how many new player's do we need to start competing with the top 6?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally think Appletons done a good job thus far, two of those draws could very easily have been wins, last 2 games we created enough chances to win 4 games not just a draw and a laboured win. We need a decent commanding no nonsense CH, a midfielder who can go past players and a decent CF to partner May…..most clubs need similar whatever league they play in. Be a very important Jan window, who goes and who comes in, top 6 still a realistic target it will all hinge on the Jan Window, with crowds reflecting clubs ambition and intent.