Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | Tuesday 28 November 2023 | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town
Tuesday 28th November 2023 - Kick-Off: 19:45

Referee
Gavin Ward - Previously officiated Charlton way back in the lockdown period of July 2020 when we drew 2-2 at home to Wigan, a game in which just kept our survival hopes alive. 

Introduction
Appleton’s league form since taking charge at The Valley is reasonable. 2 league defeats in 11 is a positive, especially when we picked up 4 points away at Wigan and Portsmouth, but we have only seen 4 wins in that time too with the last coming at Wigan 4 weeks ago. With 2 points dropped up at Carlisle on Saturday, in which was a positive display on the whole, Appleton really needs to follow that up with a couple of home wins on the spin in the league. Next up is Cheltenham Town. 

Opposition
Cheltenham Town (23rd)
Stadium: Whaddon Road
Manager: Darrell Clarke
Nickname(s): The Robins

Previous result: A 2-0 home win against Oxford United. Their line up was:

Southwood
Bevan - Davies - Freestone
Long - Pett - Keena - Sercombe - Williams
Street - Goodwin

Fortunes have turned a little since Darrell Clarke came in as manager as they were a side who looked destined for the drop. With 3 wins in their last 5 league games, their latest against high flying Oxford United, it’s impressive from a side that went 11 league games without scoring a single goal and picking up a solitary point at the then league leaders, Portsmouth, It seemed, and continues to be, that the Robins are missing a certain Mr Alife May… the striker picked up every award at the end of the season last term and has continued to show us exactly what he’s capable of. Cheltenham have only scored 9 league goals all season including 4 away from home. With Street (who scored their opener against Oxford on Saturday ruled out with suspension, they’re going to have to find another solution if they’re going to get on the scoresheet on Tuesday evening.

Despite their league position and lack of goals scored, Cheltenham have a reasonable defensive record having conceded 25, only one more than us! With the experience of Curtis Davies sitting at the heart of defence and the nous of Sercombe in front, they’re a side who will be organised and look to hurt us on the counter attack as much as possible. They’ll also know our weakness in defending set-pieces. Although, we have improved in this area recently.

Interestingly, Charlton have the highest percentage of matches where both teams have scored (71%) and Cheltenham have the fewest (24%), both sides have also only kept 3 clean sheets all season. We know where our problem is, keeping it out of our net, whereas Cheltenham’s is sticking it away. If we manage to make it 4 clean sheets on Tuesday night, the 3 points should be ours to stay in SE7.

Charlton Team News
A couple of changes were made for our trip to Carlisle on Saturday, a couple which may have surprised a few too. McGrandles came in for Louie Watson whist Fraser came in for T.Campbell meaning top scorer Alife May started the game on the right. I think we can expect to see at least one of TC and Louie Watson starting on Tuesday. Personally, at home to Cheltenham, where May is going to be right up for it too, it’s important we get him between the posts as much as possible - getting Campbell on the right and May close to Leaburn is the way to go.

Asiimwe could have probably found himself unlucky to miss out on Saturday and although Tennai Watson got the assist for CBT’s 7th league goal of the season, it’s an area that I feel Appleton may shake up. Whether he feels he can do the role of coming inside to support the midfield, as Edun does so well, might just be the deciding factor in that decision.

Maynard-Brewer
T.Watson - Hector - Jones - Edun
Dobson - McGrandles
T.Campbell - May - Blackett-Taylor
Leaburn

Walker, Asiimwe, Ness, Thomas, L.Watson, Fraser, Tedic

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Cheltenham Town
May x2

Comments

• Options
    We will win ugly 1 0 to us 
  • Options
    Think Louis Watson will start; not sure how MA will juggle things, but I’d hope he’d give Dobbo a rest. I think he needs one. 
    Not sure about starting TC either. 
    Would like to see more of Chem C as well. 
  • Options
    To quote Seth, a must win…
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Think Louis Watson will start; not sure how MA will juggle things, but I’d hope he’d give Dobbo a rest. I think he needs one. 
    Not sure about starting TC either. 
    Would like to see more of Chem C as well. 
    Watson for McGrandles . 
  • Options
    Not TC and CBT in the same eleven thank you. Not even at home.

Three proper midfielders please. McHero. McDobbo and McLouis. 

Put Miles on the right if necessary. He could do with a change. Does not matter where you put Alfie May.  If he's in the mood,  he will score.
    I’d go along with that
  • Options
    January 2023 the last time we won back to back home league games. We really need that to happen again now.
    We won 3 home league games in a row Sept/ Oct- Fleetwood 2-1, Wycombe 3-1 and Exeter 4-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not TC and CBT in the same eleven thank you. Not even at home.

Three proper midfielders please. McHero. McDobbo and McLouis. 

Put Miles on the right if necessary. He could do with a change. Does not matter where you put Alfie May.  If he's in the mood,  he will score.
    Agree with this, particularly the 3 midfielders but can't see it happening. 
  • Options
    January 2023 the last time we won back to back home league games. We really need that to happen again now.
    We won 3 home league games in a row Sept/ Oct- Fleetwood 2-1, Wycombe 3-1 and Exeter 4-1.
    You’re right. No idea what I was looking at last night. 9 points from Cheltenham, Cambridge, Burton would be a great start to closing the gap of those in play offs. 
  • Options
    You’re right. No idea what I was looking at last night. 9 points from Cheltenham, Cambridge, Burton would be a great start to closing the gap of those in play offs. 
    Have to agree with you,would be a great start to closing the gap on top sides.
    Just take a look at our record against Cheltenham Town. Not very good to say the least,we have never beaten them and we have played them Five times.
    Enjoy your Tuesday night out but don’t take it for granted that we will win.
  • Options
    Surely the curse of the ex player striking will happen in our favour tomorrow evening.
  • Options
    Back to winning ways,May makes a day of it with a couple at least, 3-1 Addicks.
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    For once i agree with this 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    after a dreadful start Cheltenham lately have staged a bit of a comeback, 7 points from their last 3 games, SOOO as ever there are no easy games .. still we need to win this and I expect that we will
  • Options
    Yeah the next two games have to be won to keep in touch. 
  • Options
    Think we will see a few changes especially after his comments about Leaburn whose performances of late have been very below par … think Fraser and McGrandles may be rested as well .. so personally go with this line up 

AMB

T Watson
    Hector
    Jones
    Edun

Dobson
    L Watson
    May

C Campbell 
    Tedic
    CBT 
  • Options
    Think we will see a few changes especially after his comments about Leaburn whose performances of late have been very below par … think Fraser and McGrandles may be rested as well .. so personally go with this line up 

AMB

T Watson
    Hector
    Jones
    Edun

Dobson
    L Watson
    May

C Campbell 
    Tedic
    CBT 
    Appleton clearly doesn’t trust Tedic to play as a striker. If Leaburn is left out (I don’t think he should or will be) then May will just play up front 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

AMB

T Watson
    Hector
    Jones
    Edun

Dobson
    L Watson
    May

C Campbell 
    Tedic
    CBT 
    Appleton clearly doesn’t trust Tedic to play as a striker. If Leaburn is left out (I don’t think he should or will be) then May will just play up front 
    As long as the keeper isn't over 5'6"...🙄
  • Options
    I think Apples should be positive and focus on attack for the first half at least : 

AMB
    Watson T Hector (or Ness) Jones Edun
    Watson L; Dobbo McGrandles
    Campbell May CBT

then if it's not working bring on Leaburn (for Campbell / CBT) Fraser for the worse centre mid (Dobbo looks tired)  and to tidy up those who get tired, Asiimewe or Kedwell. Must win!!!!
  • Options
    Expect us to go back to our home lineup and formation with Watson beside Dobbo, May in the 10, and TC on the right.

Seeing people call for Chem Campbell to start and I think that's a bit of the case of absence makes the heart grow fonder. He did start well, but to be honest, he, like TC, has struggled to have an impact when playing from the right and has looked better through the middle or on the left. I would like to see him make the bench, but I don't think he's the RW solution this squad lacks.

I don't believe in "must wins" at this point in the season, but a win here is very important. We need to pick up points at home against teams in the bottom half, especially given the way we started the season.
  • Options
    daveroan said:
    I think Apples should be positive and focus on attack for the first half at least : 

AMB
    Watson T Hector (or Ness) Jones Edun
    Watson L; Dobbo McGrandles
    Campbell May CBT

then if it's not working bring on Leaburn (for Campbell / CBT) Fraser for the worse centre mid (Dobbo looks tired)  and to tidy up those who get tired, Asiimewe or Kedwell. Must win!!!!
    May is so, so, so much les effective when playing up front on his own. There's no reason to do that at this point. If you want a midfield three go with May on the right where he doesn't look quite as effective in the 10 role, but he should have a lot of freedom. 

I know Miles isn't pulling up trees, but he link up play on the deck is important for the way we want to play, as is his occupying opposition CBs to free up space for May.
  • Options
    COYR