Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Offering whichever teams that make the playoffs a chance to train at the Valley?
  • Chizz said:
    Offering whichever teams that make the playoffs a chance to train at the Valley?
    Nope, just 3 points each.
  • Cue a bit of George Michael...

Appleton has faith, faith, faith
  • edited November 2023
    I guess he can hardly come out with,  the seasons over, don’t waste your time coming, see you next season!
  • Yes I'm hoping we can put a good second half to the season together, and get get in the top six, MA has probably two seasons but good dealings in January could make it happen.
  • Well, this certainly doesn't have the "feel" of a promotion season.

In fact, if you took Alfie May out of the equation the current team is basically mid-to-lower table shite. Particularly if you compared it to the last team to successfully get us out of this godawful division.
  • edited November 2023
    Compared to the last team? The one that had Josh Parker and Ben Purrington in it (sorry Ben I did like you)?

We’re not as far away as some think in my opinion.
    Yep, that team.  The one that also had Pearce, Bauer, Leuth's mate, Cullen, Bilek, Taylor, Aribo, Tumbledown Williams, etc. That team.

And at least Purrington was a left back playing in his favoured position.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2023
    If we go up it'll be the weakest League One in a long while. 
  • edited November 2023
    Off_it said:
    Compared to the last team? The one that had Josh Parker and Ben Purrington in it (sorry Ben I did like you)?

Yep, that team.  The one that also had Pearce, Bauer, Leuth's mate, Cullen, Bilek, Taylor, Aribo, Tumbledown Williams, etc. That team.

+ Dijksteel 
    + Ahearne Grant for half of the season.
  • edited November 2023
    Couldn't the SLP at least find a current photo of Apples in a CAFC top...🤷‍♂️
  • My Groundworkers are all Lincoln lads and they said they wait until Jan. Apples will no doubt have some good additions lined up.
  • edited November 2023
    This isn’t the SLP, different paper 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    My Groundworkers are all Lincoln lads and they said they wait until Jan. Apples will no doubt have some good additions lined up.
    We need reinforcements to be involved imo.  We’re closer than we have been in the last 2 seasons in terms of some of the quality, but the likes of May and Dobson can’t carry the whole team.  

You’ve also got to factor in we don’t have the star quality of the likes of Aribo, Cullen, Bielik, Taylor, and Bauer for 2018/19 or Kermorgant, Wiggins, Stephens, BWP in 2011/12 etc
  • I do get a good vibe from Appleton and increasingly believe he will get us where we need to be but we are not there yet, although I think we are not far off. It is Charlton and it could all still go wrong. 
  • edited November 2023
    Off_it said:

If you took the two teams and try to be objective, I think 4-5 of the current group would get in the starting line up across the twenty two. We do tend to look at promotion teams with rose tinted glasses…

Ash or Dillon is a 50/50 (remember Dillon hardly played senior football for us before Jan that season)

Dijksteel or Tennai - not seen enough of Tennai to say for sure. Dijksteel was out of position at right back.

Bauer or Hector - Bauer wins this one

Pearce or Jones - on recent form I’d rather have Jones, Pearce has a good shout for his leadership qualities

Purrington or Edun - two different types of full back, I like what Edun brings going forward, don’t think he’s been any better or worse than what we became used to seeing from Purrington

Cullen or Dobson - Cullen

Bielik or Watson - Bielik for now, though Watson is very tidy and has already grown a lot in a dozen games, it took Bielik a while to become the monster he was

Aribo or May - I’m 50/50 on this because I think Aribo was better for the team he was in and May is definitely better for this current team. Hard to ignore May’s goals.

Williams or Blackett-Taylor - Williams very skilful for the level but at the rate CBT is contributing goals and assists, you have to take him.

Parker or T.Campbell - T.Campbell

Taylor or Leaburn - Taylor was our talisman that year and probably edges out Miles on the latter’s current form. But as soon as he finds his shooting boots again, Leaburn can become multiple times the player Lyle ever has been.
  • edited November 2023
    What Bowyer's team had was if he could put out his strongest side, and there was a lack of depth, We would probably not lose and most likely win. There was a game away to Oxford in the run in where a few key players were missing and I expected us to lose and we did. But there were some players well above the level which was the reason for our success. 

This side has players above the level but maybe a bit of a soft underbelly. I think Appleton has identified this and has addressed it as far as he can and I'm sure he has a plan to address it further in January. So I reason that if we can stay within reach of the play off places by then, we could have a memorable season. But you also need luck and key players to stay fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• What Bowyer's team had was if he could put out his strongest side, and there was a lack of depth, We would probably not lose and most likely win. There was a game away to Oxford in the run in where a few key players were missing and I expected us to lose and we did. But there were some players well above the level which was the reason for our success. 

This side has players above the level but maybe a bit of a soft underbelly. I think Appleton has identified this and has addressed it as far as he can and I'm sure he has a plan to address it further in January. So I reason that if we can stay within reach of the play off places by then, we could have a memorable season. But you also need luck and key players to stay fit.
    Jan is key in terms of player retention as well. Looks like CBT is off and Dobbo could well move on as well … 
  • se9addick said:
    Off_it said:

If you took the two teams and try to be objective, I think 4-5 of the current group would get in the starting line up across the twenty two. We do tend to look at promotion teams with rose tinted glasses…

Ash or Dillon is a 50/50 (remember Dillon hardly played senior football for us before Jan that season)

Dijksteel or Tennai - not seen enough of Tennai to say for sure. Dijksteel was out of position at right back.

Pearce or Jones - on recent form I’d rather have Jones, Pearce has a good shout for his leadership qualities

Purrington or Edun - two different types of full back, I like what Edun brings going forward, don’t think he’s been any better or worse than what we became used to seeing from Purrington

Bielik or Watson - Bielik for now, though Watson is very tidy and has already grown a lot in a dozen games, it took Bielik a while to become the monster he was

Aribo or May - I’m 50/50 on this because I think Aribo was better for the team he was in and May is definitely better for this current team. Hard to ignore May’s goals.

Williams or Blackett-Taylor - Williams very skilful for the level but at the rate CBT is contributing goals and assists, you have to take him.

Taylor or Leaburn - Taylor was our talisman that year and probably edges out Miles on the latter’s current form. But as soon as he finds his shooting boots again, Leaburn can become multiple times the player Lyle ever has been.
    That playoff winning team would hammer the current team. 

But would the version of that team from November 2018 also hammer the current team? Or was that team good because they found their groove and were in good form at the time?

Why can't the 2023/24 version of this team also become something better than they are currently? We have lots of good players and young players with potential to grow and improve between now and the season's end.

The 2018/19 promotion winning side lost 8 games before the New Year. When we lost back to back games against Coventry and Barnsley around the Christmas period, I'd be surprised if anyone said that that team was good enough to get promoted. And yet it happened.
  • I think if we go on a good run and are well placed in January we will keep both players until the end of the season. It is a big if though. 
  • se9addick said:
    Off_it said:

But would the version of that team from November 2018 also hammer the current team? Or was that team good because they found their groove and were in good form at the time?

Why can't the 2023/24 version of this team also become something better than they are currently? We have lots of good players and young players with potential to grow and improve between now and the season's end.

The 2018/19 promotion winning side lost 8 games before the New Year. When we lost back to back games against Coventry and Barnsley around the Christmas period, I'd be surprised if anyone said that that team was good enough to get promoted. And yet it happened.

The November team was viably better as you could take out Parker and add KAG in your list above.  My expectation/hope is this season we strengthen in January rather than weaken.
  • se9addick said:
    Off_it said:

The November team was viably better as you could take out Parker and add KAG in your list above.  My expectation/hope is this season we strengthen in January rather than weaken.
    Kind of proves my point to an extent… football isn’t played on paper and teams can get better (or worse) over the course of a 46 game season.

The team with KAG lost 8 games. The team with Parker lost twice.
  • edited November 2023
    LouisMend said:
    This isn’t the SLP, different paper 
    Thanks for the correction @LouisMend, appreciate my mistake...but it is still a South London paper, so same point...why not a current top, that's all, would have been nice..🙄
  • If it's the hope that kills you, it's the faith that buries you and throws away the spade. 
  • Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    Off_it said:

There wasn’t as big a difference as you’d expect, after 16 games we were on 25 points, only 3 more than the 22 we’re on now.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/daterange/fromdate:2018-Jul-01/todate:2018-Nov-05/type:home-and-away/

As of November the likes of Bielik, Sarr and Aribo were inconsistent. We didn’t have a proper left back. Dijksteel hadn’t become first choice right back. Reeves, Lapslie, Marshall, Ward and later Parker made plenty of appearances between them that season, players who were definitely not Championship quality.

In January if we can send back some of the loanees that haven’t worked out and replace them with players who have an impact we can close the gap further.

We also have various players who could really step up in the second half of the season as Bielik and Aribo did.

Not saying it’ll definitely happen but there’s potential with this squad. We have the goals in us that many previous squads didn’t have. The 18/19 squad went on a brilliant run in the second half of the season, while they were good they weren’t outstanding like the 11/12 squad were in the first few months of the season. We improved as a team and players as individuals.
    I think you are right. Goals is the hardest thing to get as it usually costs more money than you have. That is why I am hopeful. Appleton does need to sort some things out and we know what they are so I'm sure he does even better than we do, but I think it is easier than say he had to get goals in the side which previous managers have had to do. 

Winning games like today is going to be key.  
  • My fear is we make the play offs somewhat against the odds but our luck runs out at Wembley. 

Needs to be Top 2 but that requires others to implode.