Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    Really enjoyed that interview. Zak came across very well.
  • Options
    Jack Carney, the former Lancs Academy and England U19 keeper, appears to have ended his trial with us as he is playing for Derbyshire in their 2s game against Durham. I can't say that's particularly surprising because the writing was on the wall when he was seen consistently batting down the order for us. I suspect that Ross Richardson who has scored three 50s for our 2s this season get the gloves in the game starting tomorrow against his former county, Surrey. 
    Ross Richardson is playing once again and keeping. The other trialists are Gareth Severin, a bat/keeper, who was born in SA but plays his winter cricket for Wellington and has been coming over here to turn out for Hayes in the KL for a number of years, Savin Perera, the former England U19 bat who has been in our 2s previously this season, Hishaam Khan a left arm seamer who played a number of matches last season for the 2s and Adam Sylvester, another seamer who played one FC game for Derbyshire back in 2022.

The game is at Guildford and Surrey are currently 109-0 with Ben Geddes and Ravi Patel both on unbeaten 50s! 
  • Options
    147-0 at lunch
  • Options
    who?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    who?
    Surrey 2s
  • Options
    Surrey 2s 423-3 at the close.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Player I have mentioned a number of times, who Kent let slip through the net, and would answer the future keeper issue has scored big runs for Warkwickshire 2s yesterday.
  • Options
    Kent 2s not made an impact on surrey so far this morning 552-3 Geddes 103 , Patel 87, Blake 113 , Gill 160* Van Der Merwe 73*
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Player I have mentioned a number of times, who Kent let slip through the net, and would answer the future keeper issue has scored big runs for Warkwickshire 2s yesterday.
    Kai's 200* is a great effort. I suspect that the issue at the time centered around not being able to afford to have four keeper/batters contracted when there were issues in other areas. That is why Finch was encouraged to take up the gloves having never done so before. That said Billings and how, despite next to no success in the CC, he was allowed to dictate when he was going to make himself available for us really didn't help. I suspect that Cox might have ultimately gone anyway but Robinson, potentially the next England keeper, would have stayed had he kept the gloves and his place in the team. And Kai would now be the third or even second in line. Right player, wrong time. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Kai's 200* is a great effort. I suspect that the issue at the time centered around not being able to afford to have four keeper/batters contracted when there were issues in other areas. That is why Finch was encouraged to take up the gloves having never done so before. That said Billings and how, despite next to no success in the CC, he was allowed to dictate when he was going to make himself available for us really didn't help. I suspect that Cox might have ultimately gone anyway but Robinson, potentially the next England keeper, would have stayed had he kept the gloves and his place in the team. And Kai would now be the third or even second in line. Right player, wrong time. 
    100% Kai is a great cricketer in the making, and has the attitude and backing to go all the way. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays for England or SA at some point
  • Options
    Surrey 2s are 554-3. All three wickets were self-inflicted to varying degrees so absolutely no excuse for us not getting a big score too. I mentioned last week that I suspect that Jaydn and Ekansh had A levels coming up and it's probably the reason that we have five trialists in the side. 
  • Options
    600-5 with Arafat taking the last two wickets and three in total. The most recent departure was Ollie Sykes the lad who went to Tonbridge School and some questioned why he wasn't attached to Kent. He made 2. 
  • Options
    I think I have just seen one of the unluckiest dismissals ever. McKerr smashes a ball back and it hits the boot of the bowler, Khan, on his follow through (who is well wide of the stumps). The ball deflects onto the stumps and the non-striker, Gill, is out of his ground. Run out for 196. 

• Options
    656-7 declared. Wonder what our lead will be? 
  • Options
    5-2

Perera and Severin out. Perera's was an absolute shocker of a decision - he tries to clip the ball off his legs and is given out caught off his thigh pad

• Options
    Kent ended up 223/4  - 132 for Marcus O'Riordan and 78 for Ben Dawkins both out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 8
    Starting with their game on Friday and for the rest of the season, Worcestershire will wear shirts with Josh Baker's no. 33 on the front in commemoration of him. Lovely touch.

Seb played against Josh when they were 12 in the Taunton County Festival in which Josh opened the batting and bowled three overs too. It's always interesting to see what the youngsters that Seb played with and against have gone on to do which makes it so desperately sad that Josh fulfilled his dream of playing for his county in the pro game only for that and his life to be cut so incredibly short. I really can't imagine what his family are going through right now, 
  • Options
    Kent 2s from 5-2 to 215-2 to 297 all out. Now following on. 
  • Options
    73-5. And Tommy Ealham has 3 of them!
  • Options
    Squad of 13 announced for the Worcester game. Suspect that there will be just the one change - Swanepoel for the unfortunately wicketless Stewart this season. Would love to see Evison being given a go at at 4 and Leaning at 6 or 7. 

• Options
    137-7 and a 5-fer for Ealham
  • Options
    237 all out. Surrey win by an innings and 122 runs

82 (87) for Richardson, 50 (52) for Jas. Ealham 19.1-3-71-7

Richardson's scores for the 2s this season have bee 46*, 57, 58, 65*, 36 & 82. He's been out most consistent 2s batsman and is certainly putting forward a case for that third keeper/bat position. 
  • Options
    Surprised Muyeye didn't play for the 2nds. 
  • Options
    Surprised Muyeye didn't play for the 2nds. 
    I was too. It might just be that he wants a week or two to clear his head particularly as he has been playing every week including pre season. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at fielding 12th man as he has to be better than the likely bowlers left out of the 13. 
  • Options
    edited May 10
    Beautiful morning at Canterbury today 20c. Kent are bowling lost toss
  • Options
    Worcestershire won the toss and elected to bat. Our team as expected with Swanepoel in for Stewart