Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC vs Sutton Utd | EFL Trophy | Tues 22nd November 2023 | KO 7:00 PM - prematch discussion

Tomorrow night's game has all the makings of being our record low attendance at The Valley.
Hopefully our squad players will put in a better performance than was given against CRAY VPM.

Comments

• Options
    Don't think it will be a record low attendance 

The games v u21 teams get lower, plus this is a crucial game for qualification for those intrested in the tournament.

Reckon it will be just over 1,000 tomorrow so won't get to the record low 700 or whatever was at the game a few years ago
  • Options
    I'd have to disagree on the game being crucial.
  • Options
    First visit to the Valley for Sutton so expect 1000s 100s 10s of their fans to be there.

It's not "crucial" but there is something on the game.

After the Cray debacle it will be revealing to see how strong a side Appleton puts out.

• Options
    I always want us to play weakened teams in games like this. I don't want anyone getting injured or overly tired from games this like. Let's see what the likes of Bower, Mbick, and Kedwell can do from the start. I figure we'll give Edun and McGrandles more minutes, which they need. Probably the same for Fraser and C Campbell. But we don't need to play the likes of Dobbo, CBT, May, or Jones. Only reason I'd entertain Leaburn is because I don't think he's had many 90 minutes this season and missed most of pre-season. 
  • Options
    Be interesting to see what kids are involved, that's my highlight of the competition

I'd be surprised if we don't see Kedwell on the bench at the very least again

Hopefully we'll see Bower get a run out, Mbick rewarded after his goal last week with another appearance maybe
  • Options
    What?

Didn't even know we were playing in the WhoGivesaToss Cup this week.  That's my Tuesday night taken care of, getting desperately disapointed at one more disjointed Charlton cup performance on the match thread...
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Like to see Bower, Adigun and Casey given run outs. Maybe Ralfi Hand as a reward for signing a contract.  Then Mbick and Fullah maybe from the bench.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    We all thought the same against Cray Valley, include players not regulars and look what happened. I know it is not an important cup, but do you really want to be knocked out? I do not want our best players included but not a team of youth players
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just hope after the first game against Cray that Appleton plays a team that has trained together rather than just thrown 11 individuals together at the last moment.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    First visit to the Valley for Sutton so expect 1000s 100s 10s of their fans to be there.

It's not "crucial" but there is something on the game.

After the Cray debacle it will be revealing to see how strong a side Appleton puts out.

Put out the U21's, take the fine, if we get knocked out no worries, if we stay in then the U21's have a future game to look forward to. Expunge the game from the first team records. The competition remains an insult to the integrity of the game.
  • Options
    I'd have to disagree on the game being crucial.
    He said it’s crucial to qualification. He didn’t say it’s crucial to our season.
  • Options
    Loads saying its not crucial(i meant crucial for qualification)

Loads saying who cares about the Bristol Street motors trophy 

Bet every single one of you would suddenly turn up for Wembley if we got to the final 🤣🤣

I bet we wouldn't.  This cup shows how far we have fallen.
  • Options

Bet every single one of you would suddenly turn up for Wembley if we got to the final 🤣🤣

Actually I wouldn't. I genuinely wouldn't.

Losing to Aston Villa U21's would be 100 times worse than Blackburn...
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    We all thought the same against Cray Valley, include players not regulars and look what happened. I know it is not an important cup, but do you really want to be knocked out? I do not want our best players included but not a team of youth players

I genuinely don't care if we are knocked out. I do however think including the kids I mentioned above would see them give their all as they are at the start of their careers trying to make a living.  The issue with our first game v Cray was the likes of Kirk and Tedic who think they are better than to play those games so put nothing into them.
  • Options
    I personally think the competition is useful to help blood youngsters and give those who need minutes to get some. Certainly don't expect any of our players to start on Saturday to play (although 2 or 3 may be given 45 minutes).

As I understand it, a win would put us through to next round. Is that right? 
  • Options
    redman said:
    I personally think the competition is useful to help blood youngsters and give those who need minutes to get some. Certainly don't expect any of our players to start on Saturday to play (although 2 or 3 may be given 45 minutes).

As I understand it, a win would put us through to next round. Is that right? 
    We can draw... But we'd need to win the penalty shootout
  • Options
    Like to see Bower, Adigun and Casey given run outs. Maybe Ralfi Hand as a reward for signing a contract.  Then Mbick and Fullah maybe from the bench.
    What has happened to Adigun?

He was one who I thought looked really likely to step up into the first team but he hasn't had a look in.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    ross1 said:

I genuinely don't care if we are knocked out. I do however think including the kids I mentioned above would see them give their all as they are at the start of their careers trying to make a living.  The issue with our first game v Cray was the likes of Kirk and Tedic who think they are better than to play those games so put nothing into them.
    I don't know that that is true of either of them, I just think they aren't particularly sharp and definitely in Kirk's case he is desperately lacking form and confidence. You could also make the case that Kirk is literally five levels above that game, by which that means he should both have done better, and might not be wrong in thinking he's above it.

I feel like there is nothing to be gained from games like this and CVPM. Is Ness going to get a run in the first team because he was good in those games? No, but it was a good reminder that he is a CB who is good on the ball when not pressured. Is CBT going to get dropped because he wasn't great in the second leg? Also no.

McGrandles, Fraser, Terdic, and Edun got some fitness out of it, and in the second leg McGrandles took up some interesting positions dropping into the RB spot to distribute from deep. MbIck and Kedwell made their debuts. Most importantly, no one got hurt.

I think it's easy to overthink this, especially given that we came away with an excellent result away to Pompey in the game following the draw.
  • Options

I bet we would play our first team in that one as well - thats the hypocricy of cup games IMO... happens in the FA cup, and happened in the league cup last year as well - soon as you get a decent draw suddenly "resting" and "protecting"players stops becoming a factor doesn't it.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    There is a slight difference in that for Cray Valley's players it was the game of their life, whereas for Sutton it will just be "that cup competition" between crucial league games, where they are struggling and bottom of L2. 
  • Options
    The thing is, a lot of players will benefit from this game having not played on Saturday so I wouldn't be surprised if Appleton plays a reasonably strong side.
  • Options

Actually I wouldn't. I genuinely wouldn't.

Losing to Aston Villa U21's would be 100 times worse than Blackburn...
    I don't understand your post. Aston Villa U21's are out, we beat them in the group stages.

I'm assuming you went to the Full Members Cup Final. I don't recall anyone being suprised we lost.

• Options
    Why would Mbick from the u18's get ahead of Casey u21's unless the 21's have a game on the same day again ? Or any of the other  lads who play as forwards in this year's U21's. 
  • Options
    Think we’ve got to respect the competition and our lower ranked opponents by playing our strongest possible team.

That’s how these cup competitions work right? Or is it just the old ones?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:

I don't know that that is true of either of them, I just think they aren't particularly sharp and definitely in Kirk's case he is desperately lacking form and confidence. You could also make the case that Kirk is literally five levels above that game, by which that means he should both have done better, and might not be wrong in thinking he's above it.

I feel like there is nothing to be gained from games like this and CVPM. Is Ness going to get a run in the first team because he was good in those games? No, but it was a good reminder that he is a CB who is good on the ball when not pressured. Is CBT going to get dropped because he wasn't great in the second leg? Also no.

McGrandles, Fraser, Terdic, and Edun got some fitness out of it, and in the second leg McGrandles took up some interesting positions dropping into the RB spot to distribute from deep. MbIck and Kedwell made their debuts. Most importantly, no one got hurt.

I think it's easy to overthink this, especially given that we came away with an excellent result away to Pompey in the game following the draw.
    Sorry, but the two highlighted selections seem to contradict each other.

Personally, I hope we win and progress and continue to have opportunities to build fitness for those who need it and blood youngsters. In fact, I hope we go all the way to the final and have a Wembley day out vs a Derby or Bolton or something. It's a cup that we can actually win.
  • Options
    I’d turn up to Wembley because my kids would want to go , I have no interest whatsoever in this reminder of how shit we are competition .
    i don’t think I’ve been to a game in the BDSM trophy, I’m a football snob and look down on shit like this .

• Options
    Don't risk playing anyone who we need for our trip to Carlisle. 
    That's all I have to add.