Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC vs Sutton Utd | EFL Trophy | Tues 22nd November 2023 | KO 7:00 PM - prematch discussion

Comments

• Options
    How many more matches until Wembley?
  • Options
    Loads saying its not crucial(i meant crucial for qualification)

Loads saying who cares about the Bristol Street motors trophy 

Bet every single one of you would suddenly turn up for Wembley if we got to the final 🤣🤣

I bet we would play our first team in that one as well - thats the hypocricy of cup games IMO... happens in the FA cup, and happened in the league cup last year as well - soon as you get a decent draw suddenly "resting" and "protecting"players stops becoming a factor doesn't it.
    Isn't that just common sense though?

Arsenal (just as an example) would rest a lot of players if they played Forest Green in the cup, but if they drew Liverpool they'd obviously need to field a stronger side.

You rest players when the opportunity presents itself. 
  • Options
    I’d turn up to Wembley because my kids would want to go , I have no interest whatsoever in this reminder of how shit we are competition .
    i don’t think I’ve been to a game in the BDSM trophy, I’m a football snob and look down on shit like this .

One for you Arnie!  :D

Not been watching us since 2007 then Ohh ahh?  ;) 🤣

• Options
    I’m a football snob and look down on shit like this .
    Being football a snob didn't stop you supporting Charlton?
  • Options
    Loads saying its not crucial(i meant crucial for qualification)

Loads saying who cares about the Bristol Street motors trophy 

Bet every single one of you would suddenly turn up for Wembley if we got to the final 🤣🤣

I bet we would play our first team in that one as well - thats the hypocricy of cup games IMO... happens in the FA cup, and happened in the league cup last year as well - soon as you get a decent draw suddenly "resting" and "protecting"players stops becoming a factor doesn't it.
    Isn't that just common sense though?

Arsenal (just as an example) would rest a lot of players if they played Forest Green in the cup, but if they drew Liverpool they'd obviously need to field a stronger side.

You rest players when the opportunity presents itself. 
    You haven't really answered the question though - How come its ok to "risk" players when it's against Man U or Brighton? We ain't a premier league team let alone Arsenal - why is it only considered a risk when it is against forest green or cray valley? It makes zero sense
  • Options
    Looks like we're not bothering with a proper preview, so we may as well make this the prematch discussion thread, and I've stickied it accordingly. Don't forget kick-off is 7pm, not 7:45pm
  • Options
    Is this the same as the old Pizza Cup and the Paint Dry Trophy or something even less prestigious?
  • Options
    We won't want to lose to the team 92nd in the EFL, so I think we'll play a sprinkling of first team players. The prize money of £10,000 should also largely cover the cost of staging the game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    9-0.  Alfie scores 6 despite not even playing!
  • Options
    Don't the rules of the competition say we have to play a certain number of players that featured in the last league game anyway?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Don't the rules of the competition say we have to play a certain number of players that featured in the last league game anyway?
    I may be wrong but I think the rules have been relaxed a bit.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I'm sure you're right. Is it something like 5 or 6 from the last league game, although I don't know if that's from the 18 or the players who started or got on ? Two of the starters, AMB and Hector, have presumably yet to return to Sparrow's Lane.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    aliwibble said:
    I'm sure you're right. Is it something like 5 or 6 from the last league game, although I don't know if that's from the 18 or the players who started or got on ? Two of the starters, AMB and Hector, have presumably yet to return to Sparrow's Lane.
    That rule has been been amended, you have to go some to break the new rules
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Think we’ve got to respect the competition and our lower ranked opponents by playing our strongest possible team.

That’s how these cup competitions work right? Or is it just the old ones?
    Yes 

It's the F.A Cup and to a lesser extent the League cup we should respect. 

This competition is utterly pointless unless you are going to use it to give the kids some experience or put some match fitness into players who haven't played a lot. 

I'm old enough to remember losing to Blackburn at Wembley in the equivalent tournament and it was one of the worst games I've ever seen.  

You only have to look at what crowd we will get tonight to see what the fans think . I'd be surprised if there will be 500 people there tonight. 
  • Options
    This is shocking. The date on the thread title is 22nd November. This lowest-ever crowd thing could be recorded in history with the wrong date. Please correct this at once.
  • Options
    Grrrr
  • Options
    How long before KO does the ticket price increase? I've got 2 hours in my mind. Thanks. 
  • Options
    Can't help but think any competition featuring Sutton ought to be seeded 🤔
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll be at the Valley! The alternative was watching the Great British Bake Off with Mrs jbcafc... COYRs!
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    aliwibble said:
    But some of them are on international duty!
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Why would Mbick from the u18's get ahead of Casey u21's unless the 21's have a game on the same day again ? Or any of the other  lads who play as forwards in this year's U21's. 
    Maybe Mbick is rated more highly than Casey. He’s only recently turned 17 but had already appeared at u21 level and been rewarded with his first team debut. Not sure Casey progressed through the levels that quickly.
  • Options
    literally couldn't give a toss about this cup at all.

but anyone saying they wouldn't go to Wembley if we made the final of this is talking out of their arse.

everyone would be there (including me)
  • Options
    I'm old enough to remember losing to Blackburn at Wembley in the equivalent tournament and it was one of the worst games I've ever seen.  

That was a tournament for teams in the top two divisions but don't think everyone entered ....not the shitty bottom two and u21 teams from top flight teams ,where we are at now .
  • Options
    literally couldn't give a toss about this cup at all.

but anyone saying they wouldn't go to Wembley if we made the final of this is talking out of their arse.

everyone would be there (including me)
    Depends if it's raining or not ...
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Sutton playing a very weakened side, league has to be priority for them too considering they are bottom and 2 points from safety, they have a huge game on Saturday against Grimsby who are only a few places above them and a win could see them move out of the relegation zone.
  • Options
    Coley and Smith are their two danger men, would expect both of those to be rested tonight.. hopefully.
  • Options
    Sutton are on a good run of form .
    Is it 3 wins from the last 4 games.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Sutton are on a good run of form .
    Is it 3 wins from the last 4 games.