Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie May & Ralph Allen

After last night, Alfie has scored 14 League and cup goals by mid-November. This got me thinking. If he is fortunate enough to keep free of injuries, what sort of total is possible for this season. Back in season 1934-35, Ralph Allen scored a record 33 in 30 games (32 league, 1 FA Cup) as Charlton, under manager Jimmy Seed, won promotion as winners of Division 3 (South). Is it possible that Alfie could break the record? Say he gets to 20 by the end of December, then 13 in the second half of the season?  Could he do it? What do you think?

Comments

• I posed this very question on the Alfie May thread -  should he play the majority of games then he could do it as the asking rate would now be something like two in every three games. 
  • Yes, he could do it.
    Will he do it, I don’t know, but at our level and with his attitude I think there’s a very good chance.

• Got to stay fit, and the skys the limit.
  • May is mustard - how the hell he didn’t get to pro level earlier is beyond me - what we paid for him is the bargain of bargains - high quality player - he is the gift that keeps on giving 

That finish vs Pompey was superb - defo 20 goals plus this season - 30 goals ?

Well that would be lovely jubbly 
  • May is mustard - how the hell he didn’t get to pro level earlier is beyond me - what we paid for him is the bargain of bargains - high quality player - he is the gift that keeps on giving 

I think he’s only four goals off 20 now!

You’re spot on though, I don’t understand how he wasn’t picked up sooner. Maybe because of his height?
  • He said he wants a minimum of 20 more goals last night!
  • se9addick said:
    May is mustard - how the hell he didn’t get to pro level earlier is beyond me - what we paid for him is the bargain of bargains - high quality player - he is the gift that keeps on giving 

I think he’s only four goals off 20 now!

You’re spot on though, I don’t understand how he wasn’t picked up sooner. Maybe because of his height?
    Getting a run of games as a striker would have helped him. I’m sure Doncaster used him out wide at times and a lot of his appearances for them were off the bench.

He always looks one of the fittest players on the pitch, that might not have always been the case? Much easier to remain composed if you’re not tiring.

There was an article from the summer in which he talked about believing in himself a lot more. As recently as 2020/21 he only scored 9 in 44 for Cheltenham in L2, and that was in a promotion winning team.

https://theathletic.com/4746022/2023/08/05/alfie-may-dean-holden/?amp=1

“I started believing in myself because when I got my first contract — I obviously played non-League — it was like I was given that chance. At Doncaster, I probably didn’t believe in myself as much as I did when I went to Cheltenham. Especially last year, I used to go into the game saying, ‘I’m scoring today’. I just changed my mentality, I wanted to be the best player on that pitch.”
  • Sponsored links:

• You've now jinxed it & he'll likely to get injured against Carlisle & wont be back until February. 

Gah !
  • The Gravesend Aguero.

TM MODmag though as they haven’t got round to registering it, we can all nick it. 
  • Alfie > Ralphie 
  • With 14 by mid-November i think he'd be disappointed if he didn't get to at least 30.

We have 30 more league games to go and at least 1 more cup game he needs almost 1 in 2 to get to 30.

At his current strike rate if he plays in every remaining game he'll get another 22 goals.
  • Never heard of Ralph Allen 
  • Interesting @BartramBlitz. Maybe the Dartford De Bruyne? Though MODmag could probably do better than that. 
  • Never heard of Ralph Allen 
    😳
  • edited November 2023
    Dartford Dalgleish sounds better and he is a Liverpool fan after all . Do wah diddy diddy diddy he come from Gravesend? No he didn't MoD mag!!!!   Can't allow Gravesend to get undeserved credit for our greatest goalscorer of all time elect. North Kent rivalry won't allow it! 😡
  • Sponsored links:

• Allen scored 17 goals in his first 10 league games for the club. 
  • And he got three of those in one game.
  • The Dartford Destroyer

Albeit Dave Charnley was the original Dartford Destroyer 

How about ‘The Dartford Diego’ - Maradona was also short 😃
  • If a third division player ends up as highest goal scorer in the whole league do they get the Golden Boot, or given our lowly status is it the golden flip flop?
  • I remember we had this 'will he, won't he' conversation about Killer during his best season back in the 70s.
    He ended up falling short of Ralphie's record.
    Think he ended with something like 28 in all comps.
    It'll be fun seeing if Alfie can do it, but you have to factor in injury, loss of form, opposition paying him special attention etc
  • I remember we had this 'will he, won't he' conversation about Killer during his best season back in the 70s.
    It'll be fun seeing if Alfie can do it, but you have to factor in injury, loss of form, opposition paying him special attention etc
    Before he was sold to Derby back in December 1976, Derek had scored 18 goals in 19 League and Cup appearances by the beginning of November 
  • shirty5 said:
    I remember we had this 'will he, won't he' conversation about Killer during his best season back in the 70s.
    Before he was sold to Derby back in December 1976, Derek had scored 18 goals in 19 League and Cup appearances by the beginning of November 
    Good point, and Killer started in non league as well
    No penalties in that tally.
  • Yes, Killer had sixteen in sixteen I think in 1976, but then we sold him! The year before, he was chasing Allen's record but fell short by a few. 

The key thing for Alfie is to keep him fit; if he plays another 25 games, we might get 15-20 goals out of him? That would take him close to Allen's record. Long way to go though....