Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Meeting Clive Mendonca - Any questions for him?

edited November 2023 in General Charlton

My brother is a fellow Addick and runs his own memorabilia company. Part of that involves arranging signings with famous names. Whilst he normally focuses on Premier League stars like Trent Alexander Arnold he has been trying for a while to meet up with SuperClive mainly for personal rather than commercial reasons as he is his favourite ever Charlton player. So he is mixing business with pleasure and visiting him soon. Whilst he is up there, he is happy to ask him any questions Lifers might have and report Clives's answers back to us. So if anybody has anything they would like him to ask the great man, let me know by Thursday and I’ll pass it on.

Comments

• Options
    A great striker but what is his favourite colour?
  • Options
    What was his favourite goal he scored for us?
  • Options
    How much would a signed mendonca shirt be ? 
  • Options
    Would he ever contemplate returning to Charlton in a Hospitality role ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does he realise just how fondly remembered he is here? I’ve never got the impression he does
    I remember after the Wembley game in 1998, him being at Woolwich Town hall and not looking best pleased.  I swear he thought we were singing Mendonca is a donkey - until a team mate explained it was 'cockney' we were singing.
  • Options
    Would he ever consider playing in a Charlton Legends charity game? 
  • Options
    Would he consider becoming my second best mate?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Not a specific question but more how is he doing. After his career ended I think he had a rough time and now hope he is doing OK.
    Gambling seemingly got in the way of things, not a criticism btw.
  • Options
    I'd not have a question for him, I respect he had/has a talent I never had, then the drinks would be on me.
    'Super Clive', you're the man.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Not a specific question but more how is he doing. After his career ended I think he had a rough time and now hope he is doing OK.
    Gambling seemingly got in the way of things, not a criticism btw.
    I saw him a few years after he retired at Newmarket Races and he was putting a large wedge of cash on a horse with the on course bookies  . I have no idea if it won .  I didn’t have the bottle to talk to him. 
  • Options
    Did he ever consider playing international football for Guyana?
  • Options
    Is he interested in the CAST Jason Pearce meeting?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What were his emotions scoring THAT hat trick at Wembley in the best match Wembley ever had - and yes it was 

We have all seen the footage of him telling the Sunderland fans to ‘do one’ when they booed him 

But - as a lifelong Sunderland fan - must have been difficult 

I know - if I had been good enough - and I played for another side, and I dumped Charlton out of promotion to the Prem or FA Cup, I would be in two camps, especially as my family would be watching - especially my late Dad, who if you cut him half, it would read Charlton Athletic all the way through 
  • Options
    What thoughts would go through his head when he found himself one on one in front of goal?
  • Options
    Could he be a guest on Charlton TV?
    Yes, please. While it's still as it is 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    What were his emotions scoring THAT hat trick at Wembley in the best match Wembley ever had - and yes it was 

We have all seen the footage of him telling the Sunderland fans to ‘do one’ when they booed him 

I know - if I had been good enough - and I played for another side, and I dumped Charlton out of promotion to the Prem or FA Cup, I would be in two camps, especially as my family would be watching - especially my late Dad, who if you cut him half, it would read Charlton Athletic all the way through 
    Have we ? Maybe I have & didn't realise, is there footage available still (long shot I know  :#)
  • Options

Have we ? Maybe I have & didn't realise, is there footage available still (long shop I know  :#)
    Defo - he shouts at them ‘fuck off’ after he scores - I think - after his 2nd goal - clear as day on the coverage 
  • Options
    Did he enjoy his time with us.
  • Options
    This period was before money took over, the big players in our history.
    Sir Clive and Johnny Robinson were paid a pittance in comparison to nowadays.
    Such a shame that that players need to sell important things in their playing career.
    Robbo's goal at Huddersfield was one of THE best goals I have seen from a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    This period was before money took over, the big players in our history.
    Sir Clive and Johnny Robinson were paid a pittance in comparison to nowadays.
    Such a shame that that players need to sell important things in their playing career.
    Robbo's goal at Huddersfield was one of THE best goals I have seen from a Charlton shirt.
    Freezing me nads off that day...but it was worth it..what a strike.