Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players Marks & Applescore: Portsmouth v Charlton (closes Sunday teatime)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Applescore: 4 another goal conceded from a corner from someone left unmarked and Alfie May picking up their big centre half
    AMB: 8
    T.WATSON: 6
    HECTOR: 7
    JONES: 7
    EDUN: 7
    DOBSON: 6.5
    L.WATSON: 6
    T.CAMPBELL: 6
    MAY: 7
    CBT: 5 not in the game
    LEABURN: 6
    FRASER: 6
    Referee: 4
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Applescore: 7

AMB: -  8 MOM - loses a point for stupidly giving away the pen, but, without him we'd have been dead and burried long before our first.
    T.WATSON: - 7 Still a bit meh at times and lucky his handball went unoticed by the ref, but an improved performance.
    HECTOR: 6 - still casual at times and looked at one point like he decided to start boxing.
    JONES: 6 - Good game nothing to stand out, good or bad. 
    EDUN: 6 - Still getting match fit, still a bit suspect defensively 
    DOBSON: 7 - Dobson of old, was everywhere but still holding back a bit.
    L.WATSON: 8 - Sublime.
    T.CAMPBELL: 5.5 - Largely ineffective
    MAY: 8 - Doesnt stop, got his usual goal.
    CBT: 5.5 - Largely ineffective
    LEABURN: 5.5 - Largely ineffective
    FRASER: 6 - Saw the game out well enough.

Referee: 6.5 - Strange one, missed some big shouts but the game never really seemed like it was out of control.

EDIT - Meant to give ref 6.5 and not 5.5, got to happy with copy paste.

McGRANDLES: n/a
    ASIIMWE: n/a
  • Options
    At the game

T.WATSON: 6.5
    JONES: 7.5
    DOBSON: 7
    L.WATSON: 7
    T.CAMPBELL: 7
    MAY: 8
    CBT: 6
    Referee: 7
  • Options
    Applescore: 6
    AMB: 8 some outstanding saves, shame about the pen
    T.WATSON: 6.5 good defensively 
    HECTOR: 7 solid 
    JONES: 8 thought he was excellent 
    EDUN: 5.5 bumped up for his assist but he struggled majorly defensively, a lot of very good attacks for them came from easing past him
    DOBSON: 6 could have won it for us at the end with a cutback
    L.WATSON: 7 decent game 
    T.CAMPBELL: 6 struggled a bit but was good at times
    MAY: 7.5 what a player
    CBT: 5 didn’t get into the game at all
    LEABURN: 5 as per CBT
    FRASER: 6.5
    Referee: 7 seen a lot of discourse on Twitter but didn’t really have any issues 

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Applescore: 7.5 He's getting a lot out of this team and he deserves a lot of credit for that. Also, playing May in the 10 role was an absolutely inspired decision that probably changed our season around. We went from "how do we accommodate all of our attackers?" to getting the best out of May and having a player who pressures the deeper lying midfielders. 

AMB: 7.5 - Great shot stopper. Very athletic. Distribution needs work. Decision making of when to come off his line is a liability. These are all known with AMB, and with Isted injured he has the time to improve the weaknesses in his game or he'll be dropped at some point. But he absolutely kept us in it and he deserves a high mark for that. It would have been much higher had it not been for the pen.

T.WATSON: 7 - Very solid, last couple of games he's looked like the player I was expecting: solid defensively and has a bit about him going forward. He still gets forward less than I expect, and I believe Apples said that's why they took him off. But we're seeing the player I expected.

HECTOR: 7.5 Him absolutely missing the fizzed in cross toward the end drops his rating by 1 but he was generally excellent today. Won a lot in the air and on the ground. 

JONES: 8 - He is starting to drop off of Hector and use his mobility to tidy up. Thought he was very good today. I said this in the match thread, but I believe he and Hec have formed a really good CB pairing. Remember when people were calling to bring in Ness or Deji into the middle? Those days are long gone. Yes, we're still conceding goals, but a lot of that is down to who is playing next to and in front of those two.

EDUN: 6.5 - Every time he does something great he follows it up with something bad, every time he does something bad he follows it up with something great. He's an absolute wild card and I'm starting to love him for it. He has to start stopping crosses from coming in, but he also won the ball back high up the pitch and played a lovely ball for the equalizer. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.

DOBSON: 6.5 - Kind of a quiet game. I think having Watson next to him in a 2 is tough on him as he has a lot of ground to cover. 

L.WATSON: 6 - He had two or three defense splitting passes in the first 20 minutes but after that he succumbed to his lesser tendencies. He covered a lot of ground but he was wasteful in possession in the middle of the park and he ran himself out of position far too often. At some point we're going to need to find a way to give him a freer role because being in a two, even with May helping out defensively, is not going to work every week.

T.CAMPBELL: 5.5 - A TC game where he didn't influence things but still created a couple of chances. He is 20 and he's going to have games like this, but he was excellent against Wigan and I think he's shown in recent weeks that he has the talent to take the chance that if he has slow games, there is enough quality there to play next week.

MAY: 9 - He worked incredibly hard, he scored a brilliant goal, he took up great positions, and he is so much more than a fox in the box than I expected. 

CBT: 5.5 - Same with TC, except he's had an absolutely cracking season. It seemed like they had Robertson on that side to try to cut out balls to him plus Rafferty played him very tight when he did receive the ball. 

LEABURN: 5 - Disappeared for large stretches. Still has quality with the ball at his feet but we need to get him a bit more service and he needs to find ways to impact games when he doesn't have space to run in behind or isn't getting the ball deeper and running at teams. He's learning, he's still a good player, and he was always likely to have a dip like this this year as teams started figuring him out.

FRASER: 6 - Solid if unspectacular but after the last month he's had that's fine.

Referee: 6 - Missed a handball and a booking for pulling a player back but other than that good. 

McGRANDLES: n/a 8 - Looked solid and scored a crucial goal

ASIIMWE: n/a 5 - Defends really well on the front foot and is awful on the backfoot. He leaves so much space in behind him, he did it for the opener at Wigan and he did it twice again today. Someone needs to get in his ear because he has the makings of a really good fullback but he needs to cut these mistakes out.
  • Options
    Applescore:  5
    AMB:  8
    T.WATSON:  7
    HECTOR:  7
    JONES:  8
    EDUN:  8
    DOBSON:  6
    L.WATSON:  5
    T.CAMPBELL:  7
    MAY:  8
    CBT:  5
    LEABURN:  6
    FRASER:  5
    Referee:  3
  • Options

AMB: 7
    EDUN: 6
    DOBSON: 6
    T.CAMPBELL: 5
    CBT: 5
    FRASER: 5
    Referee: 5

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Applescore:6 
    AMB: 7.5
    T.WATSON: 5
    HECTOR: 6
    JONES: 6
    EDUN: 5
    L.WATSON: 5.5
    MAY: 6.5
    CBT: 2 Didnt fancy it today
    LEABURN: 5
  • Options

AMB: 8.5
    T.WATSON: 7
    HECTOR: 7  gets tired after 75 mins
    JONES:  9
    EDUN:  6
    DOBSON:  7.5
    L.WATSON:  6.5
    T.CAMPBELL:  5
    MAY:  8
    CBT:  4.5
    LEABURN: 5
    FRASER:  5
    Referee:  5
    McGRANDLES: n/a 7.5
    ASIIMWE: n/a 7.5

• Options
    EDUN: 7.5
    MAY: 7.5
    Referee: 5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Applescore: 6.5
    EDUN: 6.5
    T.CAMPBELL: 5.5
    MAY:  7
    CBT: 5.5
    LEABURN: 5.5
    FRASER: 6.5
  • Options
    Applescore: 8 made amends for last week. Just. 
    AMB: 8.5 loses a mark for the pen. Other than that, was absolutely superb. No chance with the first. 
    T.WATSON: 6 didn’t really notice him too much
    HECTOR: 6.5
    EDUN: 7.5 thought he was really good. Threat going forward. Silly time to get a booking. 
    DOBSON: 7 looking tired but leads by example
    L.WATSON: 7 worked hard. Few misplaced passes but his work rate is streets ahead of Fraser
    T.CAMPBELL: 6 done okay
    MAY: 8 just never stops running. Works very hard and got another goal
    CBT: 5.5 normally terrorises Pompey. Wasn’t in the game at all. 
    LEABURN: 6 very good first time passes. Was dropping far too deep. 
    FRASER: 5.5 a bit like CBT, doesn’t work hard in games where we are ‘up against it’. He is either lazy or unfit
    Referee: 4 consistently not very good. They got all the decisions. How their man didn’t get booked for rugby tackling McGrandles I’ll never know 
    McGRANDLES: n/a 8 very pleased he got his goal 
  • Options

Applescore:  7
    AMB:   7.5 (-1 for pen.)
    DOBSON: 7 - Should've done better right at the end.
    L.WATSON: 7.5 - Proved why he's selected ahead of Fraser.
    T.CAMPBELL: 5.5 - Looks disinterested
    MAY: 7.5 - Where would we be without him?
    CBT: 5 - Was he playing?!?
    LEABURN: 6.5 
    Referee: 5 - Strange decisions seem to be the norm at this level.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Applescore: 6.5 - I thought his starting 11 left us a bit underweight in midfield, not that he was spoilt for choice. It was, however, a brave, front foot selection and he looks to have instilled more resilience in the side.
    AMB: MoTM: 8.5 - at the time, I thought he was horribly exposed when conceding the penalty, but watching it back, it was clearly rash, given that we had three defenders in the box. Ashley’s speed off his line is one of his many strengths but he misjudged this one. Other than that, he was magnificent and his performance was probably on a par with that of Nicky Johns against Chelsea at The Valley back in 1983.
    T.WATSON: 6 - did ok. One vital goal saving challenge on Bishop towards the end
    HECTOR: 7 - some poor distribution in the first half but solid defensively throughout
    JONES: 7.5 - our key defender
    EDUN: 6 - struggled against their excellent right winger, Paddy Lane, and failed to prevent a stream of crosses into our box, although it was his first league game for some time. Good on the ball, though, and a lovely floated cross for the equaliser.
    DOBSON: 6.5 - had to cover an enormous amount of ground and this formation places a lot of weight on his shoulders, especially against the better sides. I think his failure to square the ball at the end was down to fatigue.
    L.WATSON: 6 - a lovely assist for Alfie’s goal and had a few good moments. He does, however, tend to want a lot of time on the ball and Pompey were never going to give him that. He sometimes drifts out of position and can sometimes look a little lightweight defensively, although he an Dobbo were up against a strong and cohesive Pompey midfield. A talented player who will improve with experience.
    T.CAMPBELL: 6 - some threatening runs in the first half but faded out
    MAY: 8 - what a guy ! Absolutely inspiring - a phenomenal work rate, an excellent football brain and a man who always gets his shots off
    CBT: 6 - we couldn’t get him into the game
    LEABURN: 5 - struggled against a tough and resolute pair of central defenders. Was generally unable to hold the ball up
    FRASER: 6 - ok
    Referee: 6 - ok. Not a difficult one to referee, as the game was played in a good spirit, with the dishonourable exception of that tosser Norris, who feigned injury to waste time and to try and get Alfie into trouble with the ref. The equaliser squirming past him was poetic justice
  • Options
    AMB: 7.5
    HECTOR: 6.5
    EDUN: 6
    L.WATSON: 7.5
    T.CAMPBELL: 5  - too many times he's pulled out of 50/50s and 60/40s in his favour
    LEABURN: 5.5
    Referee: 4 - a homer
  • Options
    JONES: 8

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Applescore: 9
    T.WATSON: 8
    HECTOR: 8
    JONES: 9
    DOBSON: 7
    L.WATSON: 8
    MAY: 10
    LEABURN: 7
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    SDAddick said:
    Applescore: 7.5 He's getting a lot out of this team and he deserves a lot of credit for that. Also, playing May in the 10 role was an absolutely inspired decision that probably changed our season around. We went from "how do we accommodate all of our attackers?" to getting the best out of May and having a player who pressures the deeper lying midfielders. 

AMB: 7.5 - Great shot stopper. Very athletic. Distribution needs work. Decision making of when to come off his line is a liability. These are all known with AMB, and with Isted injured he has the time to improve the weaknesses in his game or he'll be dropped at some point. But he absolutely kept us in it and he deserves a high mark for that. It would have been much higher had it not been for the pen.

T.WATSON: 7 - Very solid, last couple of games he's looked like the player I was expecting: solid defensively and has a bit about him going forward. He still gets forward less than I expect, and I believe Apples said that's why they took him off. But we're seeing the player I expected.

HECTOR: 7.5 Him absolutely missing the fizzed in cross toward the end drops his rating by 1 but he was generally excellent today. Won a lot in the air and on the ground. 

JONES: 8 - He is starting to drop off of Hector and use his mobility to tidy up. Thought he was very good today. I said this in the match thread, but I believe he and Hec have formed a really good CB pairing. Remember when people were calling to bring in Ness or Deji into the middle? Those days are long gone. Yes, we're still conceding goals, but a lot of that is down to who is playing next to and in front of those two.

EDUN: 6.5 - Every time he does something great he follows it up with something bad, every time he does something bad he follows it up with something great. He's an absolute wild card and I'm starting to love him for it. He has to start stopping crosses from coming in, but he also won the ball back high up the pitch and played a lovely ball for the equalizer. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.

DOBSON: 6.5 - Kind of a quiet game. I think having Watson next to him in a 2 is tough on him as he has a lot of ground to cover. 

L.WATSON: 6 - He had two or three defense splitting passes in the first 20 minutes but after that he succumbed to his lesser tendencies. He covered a lot of ground but he was wasteful in possession in the middle of the park and he ran himself out of position far too often. At some point we're going to need to find a way to give him a freer role because being in a two, even with May helping out defensively, is not going to work every week.

T.CAMPBELL: 5.5 - A TC game where he didn't influence things but still created a couple of chances. He is 20 and he's going to have games like this, but he was excellent against Wigan and I think he's shown in recent weeks that he has the talent to take the chance that if he has slow games, there is enough quality there to play next week.

MAY: 9 - He worked incredibly hard, he scored a brilliant goal, he took up great positions, and he is so much more than a fox in the box than I expected. 

CBT: 5.5 - Same with TC, except he's had an absolutely cracking season. It seemed like they had Robertson on that side to try to cut out balls to him plus Rafferty played him very tight when he did receive the ball. 

LEABURN: 5 - Disappeared for large stretches. Still has quality with the ball at his feet but we need to get him a bit more service and he needs to find ways to impact games when he doesn't have space to run in behind or isn't getting the ball deeper and running at teams. He's learning, he's still a good player, and he was always likely to have a dip like this this year as teams started figuring him out.

FRASER: 6 - Solid if unspectacular but after the last month he's had that's fine.

Referee: 6 - Missed a handball and a booking for pulling a player back but other than that good. 

McGRANDLES: n/a 8 - Looked solid and scored a crucial goal

ASIIMWE: n/a 5 - Defends really well on the front foot and is awful on the backfoot. He leaves so much space in behind him, he did it for the opener at Wigan and he did it twice again today. Someone needs to get in his ear because he has the makings of a really good fullback but he needs to cut these mistakes out.
    Great ratings and comments, totally agree. 
  • Options
    Applescore:6 
    AMB: 7 MOTM.
    T.WATSON: 5
    HECTOR: 5 Last 10 mins he went into panic mode with those missed flying in tackles.
    JONES: 5
    EDUN: 5
    L.WATSON: 5
    T.CAMPBELL: 4 and Blacket -Taylor struggled in the game,  because they came up against defenders as quick or quicker than they are. They do not know how to handle that situation yet. T Campbell has time to learn.
    MAY: 6
    LEABURN: 4 Struggled again today and his passing was way off. Young still lots to learn and also improve upper body strength.
  • Options
    Applescore: 8
    AMB: 8.5
    DOBSON: 7.5