Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Portsmouth Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 11th November 2023 : KO 3:00 PM

So, today we make the trip down The A3 to Fratton Park in search of back to back away day victories, following on from the Wigan game last time out (forget last Sunday for now eh..), and we all know of our run of wins down there, but why not repeat it... 7 wins on the trot down there since our last reverse in 2005, so let's just keep the faith that we can keep the record going with another 3 points to accompany us on the return journey.
Portsmouth have had a charmed life so far this season with points gained in injury time, and that luck has to run out soon, and today's the day for us to inflict their first defeat in the league...
So over to you Reds....

Tayo Edun will make his first league appearance in almost two months this afternoon...

The left-back, who started last weekend’s Emirates FA Cup tie against Cray Valley PM, hasn’t played in the league since the Addicks' draw with Stevenage in Michael Appleton's first game.

Tyreece Campbell also returns as Appleton makes two changes from the starting XI that won 3-2 at Wigan Athletic. Nathan Asiimwe moves to the bench while Panutche Camará faces a spell on the sidelines after limping off with a hamstring injury.

There is also a place in the league squad for Conor McGrandles, who has been out with a knee injury.

The Addicks are expected to line-up in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Tennai Watson, Michael Hector, Lloyd Jones and Edun starting in a back four in front of goalkeeper Ashley Maynard-Brewer, who was called up for the Australian national team this week.

Skipper George Dobson and Louie Watson will play in midfield with Tyreece Campbell, Alfie May and Corey Blackett-Taylor playing just behind Miles Leaburn.

Asimmwe and McGrandles are joined on the bench by Sam Walker, Lucas Ness, Terell Thomas, Conor McGrandles, Scott Fraser and Slobodan Tedić.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; T.Watson, Hector, Jones, Edun; Dobson (c), L.Watson; T.Campbell, May, Blackett-Taylor; Leaburn

Substitutes: Walker, Asiimwe, Ness, Thomas, McGrandles, Fraser, Tedić

Comments

• Options
    Good to have proper balance back in the Defence.

Not overly surprised to see Edun back
  • Options
    Three defender on the bench and Chem Campbell left out. Looking more and more like Appleton just doesn’t rate him or thinks something is missing from his game.
  • Options
    Good to see Fraser remain on the bench 
  • Options
    Bench looks a little less threatening than previous weeks, hopefully we wont need an impact sub
  • Options
    ....that's as good as our 1st team can get, without Aneke. 
  • Options
    nagAddick said:
    Chem Campbell should be on the bench. No wide players able to come on with him not there. 
    Was our best player in the CVPM debacle, surprised he's not on the bench. Maybe injured?
  • Options
    Chem must be injured , very weird not to have him on the bench otherwise - leaves us light on attacking options off the bench 
  • Options
    Chem is a weird one - he looked the most skilful individual against poor opposition. But I also saw a player who was often pretty selfish with the ball and slowing down attacks rather than keeping the ball moving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redemption needed after last weekend's total fuckfest .. Pompey are in good nick but we have a decent recent record there .. come on youse Addicksssaaaa, we want a point at the very least
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    No Kirk?!?!?!? What is Appleton playing at?
    Fishing for LOLs? Ok you deserve one for that! :smiley:
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    No Kirk?!?!?!? What is Appleton playing at?
    Saving him for Wednesday’s replay, he was exhausted after Tuesday’s game 😏.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Chem is a weird one - he looked the most skilful individual against poor opposition. But I also saw a player who was often pretty selfish with the ball and slowing down attacks rather than keeping the ball moving.
    Having said that, I still probably would’ve had him on the bench over Thomas or Ness if he’s fit.

As it’s become a bit of a trend that fans have picked up on, would be good to hear from Appleton on why he can’t get into league squads.
  • Options
    In context of the FA Cup, Curbs talking about Dag & Red in 2001. Had forgotten about that…
  • Options
    I’m a bit concerned about the midfield. Seems a bit light but May does come back to support. We’ll see how it goes. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    With their fluky stuff in injury time and the points they have accumulated then, we need to be on our game for 90+ minutes today, if we do that I feel confident we will be heading back home with a least at point, but we are capable on getting all three today, just all need to turn up...
  • Options
    Great header from Carlo in that clip. He can still teach Miles a few things!
  • Options
    I was at the Valley for the 7-4 as a youngster way back when, and spookily Pompey were top and undefeated after about 12 games in. Lightning couldn’t strike twice today with a win over the league leaders could it 😯.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great header from Carlo in that clip. He can still teach Miles a few things!
    Be good if Miles was watching his old man there, and a repeat would be great...
  • Options
    3-3 thriller 
  • Options
    Memories of many trips to Fratton to watch us win, and the chants of "Can we play you every week"...👍
  • Options
    There’s a few missing from the bench, but I reckon this is our strongest starting XI and I think it’s the first time we’ve played it this season. If everyone can stay fit I hope, regardless of today’s result, we now stick with it for a few consecutive matches to try and build some rhythm and consistency.

Think we have a chance today though. Pompey aren’t going to sit back and try to stifle us and we always look our best when the opposition gives our attackers a bit more space to play in. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Pompey Comms are concerned they'll see a similar start to the game when they faced Reading last time out... Feel if they start as slowly against us, it will be more costly. 

They do accept that their unbeaten start to the season will end at some point 
  • Options
    Portsmouth has changed. You can even buy a beer in the away end.

I don't like like these chants of 'we always win at fratton park' beforehand though...
  • Options
    Mark McAdam reporting on our game on SSN
  • Options
    We always beat Pompey.
  • Options
    Good to see us avoiding a colour clash with the home team kit again.
  • Options
    Teams are out... Addicks in black 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!