Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Storm Names

As I sit under my metaphorical battened down hatches (all good by the way - the thatch is coping and we haven’t sunk yet!) , I just wondered why storms get cute names like “Ciaran” or “Daphne”. Wouldn’t “Storm Bastard” or Storm “C….” be more appropriate?  Just sayin.  Stay safe out there folks. 

Comments

• Options
    They don't only want to be able to talk about them after the watershed.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    "Oh FFS not another one, Storm" or "Storm It's gonna piss it down" or "You call that a Storm?! Now 87 that was a storm, Storm" 
  • Options
    How about ancient bad guys/gals? Could do it alphabetically, I'd start with Attila.
  • Options
    I think they should be named after Charlton players. Storm Kishishev and Storm Humphrey have a certain ring to them.
  • Options
    I was told the other day that they are named after people working at the Met Office. Not sure if that's true or not though.
  • Options
    Below are the names set for 23/24, they aren't named after Met Office Staff, the names are shared with Ireland and Netherlands. You can put forward names to the met office, but they also use names from relevant people:

See here, from abut 12:20 onwards if you don't want the other stuff;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HU2dN8Myh4&t=838s

Agnes25 September 202327 - 28 September 2023
    Babet16 October 202318 - 21 October 2023
    Ciarán29 October 2023 
    Debi  
    Elin  
    Fergus  
    Gerrit  
    Henk  
    Isha  
    Jocelyn  
    Kathleen  
    Lilian  
    Minnie  
    Nicholas  
    Olga  
    Piet  
    Regina  
    Stuart  
    Tamiko  
    Vincent  
    Walid  

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Below are the names set for 23/24, they aren't named after Met Office Staff, the names are shared with Ireland and Netherlands. You can put forward names to the met office, but they also use names from relevant people:

See here, from abut 12:20 onwards if you don't want the other stuff;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HU2dN8Myh4&t=838s

Agnes25 September 202327 - 28 September 2023
    Babet16 October 202318 - 21 October 2023
    Ciarán29 October 2023 
    Debi  
    Elin  
    Fergus  
    Gerrit  
    Henk  
    Isha  
    Jocelyn  
    Kathleen  
    Lilian  
    Minnie  
    Nicholas  
    Olga  
    Piet  
    Regina  
    Stuart  
    Tamiko  
    Vincent  
    Walid  

"Storm Minnie" seems a bit of a hostage to fortune selection
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    A few winters back we came face to face with the beast from the east. Yet to be confronted by the pest from the west though.

I see it's bad in Jersey today where if you're out on the roads it might be best to pull over.
  • Options
    My Rottweiler's name is Storm, could name a storm Rottweiler which would be a bad'un.
    Dread to think what Storm XL Bully would be like !
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to Storm Thorgerson. There's gonna be some beautiful rainbows with that one.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The oldest storm on record is “Storm @Redmidland” originated in the late 1800s   after lot noise it eventually fizzles to nothing more than a waft of nonsense. 
  • Options
    Storms - and other extreme weather phenomena - should be named after fossil fuel companies
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Storms - and other extreme weather phenomena - should be named after fossil fuel companies
    Why? 
  • Options
    Storm Roland has a ring to it
  • Options
    Didn’t realise we share storm names Ireland and Netherlands, Charlton Life is full of great (but useless) information! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Didn’t realise we share storm names Ireland and Netherlands, Charlton Life is full of great (but useless) information! 
    Sadly It's the sort of information I hold, but then I do buy reinsurance for UK insurers so sort of have to know such useless information!
  • Options
    We should name our own storms.  Stuff the Irish versions. I am surprised The Pub Landlord has not done a number on it:  Beautiful British Names for Beautiful British Storms.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I think they should be named after Charlton players. Storm Kishishev and Storm Humphrey have a certain ring to them.
    "Storm Church":  A pleasant gentle westerly breeze bringing a very light drizzle.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    Why? 

Naming storms after fossil fuel companies could be seen as a provocative and impactful method to raise public awareness about the connection between climate change, extreme weather events, and the fossil fuel industry. While this approach has its limitations, it offers several potential benefits:

1. Public Awareness: Associating storms with fossil fuel companies would grab attention, prompting conversations about climate change and the role of these industries in exacerbating it. It could serve as a catalyst for more people to engage in discussions and take action. 

2. Accountability: Naming storms after companies responsible for significant carbon emissions can hold them accountable in the public eye. This may pressure these corporations to adopt more sustainable practices or invest in clean energy technologies.

3. Messaging Clarity: Such naming can provide a straightforward and memorable way to convey the message that climate change is a real and urgent threat, directly tied to the actions of certain industries. 

4. Political Pressure: A public outcry and demand for change may influence governments to adopt stricter environmental regulations and incentivise the transition to renewable energy sources.

5. Mobilising Activism: Naming storms after fossil fuel companies could energise climate activists and grassroots movements, potentially leading to more significant climate action and awareness campaigns. 

In short, it would be a cost-free method of engaging the kinds of public debate that organisations like Stop Oil want to stimulate, but without the concomitant public disruption their usual methods create. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    Why? 

Naming storms after fossil fuel companies could be seen as a provocative and impactful method to raise public awareness about the connection between climate change, extreme weather events, and the fossil fuel industry. While this approach has its limitations, it offers several potential benefits:

1. Public Awareness: Associating storms with fossil fuel companies would grab attention, prompting conversations about climate change and the role of these industries in exacerbating it. It could serve as a catalyst for more people to engage in discussions and take action. 

2. Accountability: Naming storms after companies responsible for significant carbon emissions can hold them accountable in the public eye. This may pressure these corporations to adopt more sustainable practices or invest in clean energy technologies.

3. Messaging Clarity: Such naming can provide a straightforward and memorable way to convey the message that climate change is a real and urgent threat, directly tied to the actions of certain industries. 

4. Political Pressure: A public outcry and demand for change may influence governments to adopt stricter environmental regulations and incentivise the transition to renewable energy sources.

5. Mobilising Activism: Naming storms after fossil fuel companies could energise climate activists and grassroots movements, potentially leading to more significant climate action and awareness campaigns. 

In short, it would be a cost-free method of engaging the kinds of public debate that organisations like Stop Oil want to stimulate, but without the concomitant public disruption their usual methods create. 
    Well said. However, I think MOL was being purposely confrontational rather than making a genuine request for clarification. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Storm Church":  A pleasant gentle westerly breeze bringing a very light drizzle.
    Storm Lyle. Fails to arrive when expected
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    Why? 

And free publicity to the organisation as well 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    Why? 

Yes! Who, within the marketing department at Esso wouldn't want to see Daily Mail headlines like ESSO CAUSES CATASTROPHE? Or ESSO COSTS LIVES?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Chizz said:
    Why? 

Yes! Who, within the marketing department at Esso wouldn't want to see Daily Mail headlines like ESSO CAUSES CATASTROPHE? Or ESSO COSTS LIVES?
    It makes me sad thinking about their destruction. ESSO BLUE. Boom boom.
  • Options
    Which fossil fuel companies were responsible for storms in the Medieval and Tudor times, remind me?

"Climate change/global warming" and "extreme weather conditions" are not mutually inclusive, one may affect the other slightly, but we've had these so-called storms on Earth for literally millions of years. I say so-called because 30mph winds and heavy rain, was known as November when I was younger

And before anyone jumps on and tries to claim I'm against the notion that climate change is happening, I'm not, and that fossil fuel companies aren't mainly to blame, they are, but this isn't the stick to beat them with
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Which fossil fuel companies were responsible for storms in the Medieval and Tudor times, remind me?

"Climate change/global warming" and "extreme weather conditions" are not mutually inclusive, one may affect the other slightly, but we've had these so-called storms on Earth for literally millions of years. I say so-called because 30mph winds and heavy rain, was known as November when I was younger

And before anyone jumps on and tries to claim I'm against the notion that climate change is happening, I'm not, and that fossil fuel companies aren't mainly to blame, they are, but this isn't the stick to beat them with 
    So what is in your view?

You say  "one may affect the other slightly." Is that backed by scientific findings. Can you offer up a source of your information.

Here's something interesting on the subject.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/3184/a-force-of-nature-hurricanes-in-a-changing-climate/
  • Options
    You know when you start a thread as a bit of fun……….,,,I’m not going to bother in future. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Nothing to see here.