Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Helicopter Ride

Its my wife's 30th birthday in January and I'm just looking at ways to mark the occasion. 

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or recommendations of a helicopter ride around the Kent coast at all. Preferrably over the Canterbury/Thanet area

There's lots of conflicting prices and journeys online so thought I'd come here to the real world 😉

Ideally for just 2 people

Thanks for any suggestions or help 

Comments

• Options
    There’s a few helicopter companies down Thanet around Manston, no idea if do private hire.
  • Options
    12 Mile Themed Helicopter Flight for One - Virgin Experience Days

I got this one for other half a couple of years back , based in stamford Essex 
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    January in a helicopter flying around the cliffs of Dover.
    Who’s the other ticket for? The mother in law?
    😀
    😂I wouldn't be taking any chances with her!

Obviously very weather dependent getting a day in January. Is helicopter flying seasonal!?

This is all very much in the feasibility stage. Who knows if it will get off the ground...
  • Options
    Did a helicopter flight over London a few months ago, was only 30 minutes or so but was very good and got a great view of the Valley!

One problem if you are thinking of going in January could be the cloud cover and the chance it may be called off. 
  • Options
    Its my wife's 30th birthday in January and I'm just looking at ways to mark the occasion. 

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or recommendations of a helicopter ride around the Kent coast at all. Preferrably over the Canterbury/Thanet area

There's lots of conflicting prices and journeys online so thought I'd come here to the real world 😉

Ideally for just 2 people

Thanks for any suggestions or help 
    You might need a hand flying it tbf.
    So basically size does matter and he needs a bigger chopper to give his wife a birthday treat…
  • Options
    I did a helicopter trip over Sydney years ago and to this day it's one of the best things I've ever done. 

Just going up, flying about for a bit and coming back again is good in itself - which is what a lot of these trips are, but if you can combine it with a bit of sightseeing over or near somewhere you know that would make it even better.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Off_it said:
    I did a helicopter trip over Sydney years ago and to this day it's one of the best things I've ever done. 

Just going up, flying about for a bit and coming back again is good in itself - which is what a lot of these trips are, but if you can combine it with a bit of sightseeing over or near somewhere you know that would make it even better.
    Did the helicopter ride last year over the Iguaca falls Brazil. My only time before was a helicopter ride over the valley from the Army at home day. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Did the trip around the harbour, lunch in the blue mountains and up to bondi beach. 5 hours in total for our 35th anniversary. 
    Got delayed 4 times due to low cloud, so I dread to think with the weather over here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have a look at a site called Wingly
    It has private pilots who do bespoke trips. 
  • Options
    My brother recently bought a helicopter ride experience for his daughter who didn't fancy it, nor did his other daughter so went himself with his wife. 

It was a six minute ride from Stoke Medway over a fairly bleak landscape.  However they enjoyed their day out - had a nice drive out. really nice pub lunch and it was something different.

He seemed pretty happy with the helicopter its self - confident it would be a safe two way trip. 

• Options
    not sure I could ever be coaxed into getting into a helicopter 
  • Options
    I did my only heli ride over the Great Barrier Reef about 25 years ago, courtesy of my wife.  Wonderful views.

I also did a powered hang-glider trip from Stoke Medway about ten years ago, and that was fun.  You don a big thick flying suit and go up with the pilot so you'd have to watch the wife take off and come back. We flew down over Sheppey, had lovely views, then around the island and back. About 30-40 minutes flying time if I remember correctly.  Not vastly expensive (probably cheaper than a copter ride?) and good fun.

Good luck if you can make this work!
  • Options
    not sure I could ever be coaxed into getting into a helicopter 
    Me too. They are so bloody dangerous.
  • Options
    We done the Gran Canyon and flew back over the Las Vegas strip at sunset a few years back.  I hate every minute of it on the way to the Canyon and couldnt stop shaking.  But a glass of bubbly at the Canyon killed my nerves and loved every minute of it on the way back lol.

I'd love to do one over London with the door open with my camera...but not sure I could cope with the nerves!
  • Options
    You could consider a hot air balloon ride. Also very good but very weather dependent. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    We done the Gran Canyon and flew back over the Las Vegas strip at sunset a few years back.  I hate every minute of it on the way to the Canyon and couldnt stop shaking.  But a glass of bubbly at the Canyon killed my nerves and loved every minute of it on the way back lol.

I'd love to do one over London with the door open with my camera...but not sure I could cope with the nerves!
    I've done a couple of helicopter trips, including one at the Grand Canyon. We deliberately arranged it so our first view of the Canyon was from the air. Spectacular.

My first one was about 20 years ago in Cuba in an old Soviet gun ship. God knows how old it was, I'd say 60's at least. Picked us up in the car park of our hotel and flew us into the interior over the jungle and mangrove forests for about 90 mins in total. Was amazing, but made even better in that the gunner's seat was still in place and there was no door. Sadly no gun either. We all had a go at sitting in it doing our best Apocalypse Now bit as we clipped along ridiculously low.

Safe to say there wasn't much regard for health & safety and not a chance you'd get away with it in Europe or the US. 

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Mrs TCE wanted a photo of her and the pilot together! 
    Feck this was dangerous. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We did one on our honeymoon from Vegas to the Grand Canyon - that was pretty awesome to be fair and involved dinner at a ranch in the canyon too.  Scary as hell but absolutely incredible scenes.
    Next trip was in Hawai'i, also on our honeymoon,  into a collapsed volcano on Kauai - unforgettable but I did almost puke because it was a bit wet around Mount Waialeale (3rd wettest place on earth apparently) so a bit bumpy
    Final one was over central London and it was bloody great.  We bought it at an auction so paid over the odds but it was well worth it.  Pretty sure that went from North Weald aerodrome.

All in all I would recommend it if you have the stomach for it.  It's a weird sensation but so memorable

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    We did one on our honeymoon from Vegas to the Grand Canyon - that was pretty awesome to be fair and involved dinner at a ranch in the canyon too.  Scary as hell but absolutely incredible scenes.
    Next trip was in Hawai'i, also on our honeymoon,  into a collapsed volcano on Kauai - unforgettable but I did almost puke because it was a bit wet around Mount Waialeale (3rd wettest place on earth apparently) so a bit bumpy
    Final one was over central London and it was bloody great.  We bought it at an auction so paid over the odds but it was well worth it.  Pretty sure that went from North Weald aerodrome.

All in all I would recommend it if you have the stomach for it.  It's a weird sensation but so memorable

I’ve done the Grand Canyon one (work trip) the Kauai one (Jurassic Park one) on honeymoon and been airlifted down from the alps once after breaking my collar bone on a school ski trip. 
    Think I’ve done one more as well but can’t remember where now but that’s as many as I’ll do, I consider that luck well and truly pushed…..
  • Options
    Twice been around LeMans 24 Hour by chopper. First time we had to make an emergency landing  :o second time was to get over the fear of it happening again!

Have always fancied learning to fly one.
  • Options

• Options
    You could look at getting a voucher for her birthday so that you can do the flight when the weather is better. My wife had a balloon flight for her 60th. Birthday was in January but actually did the flight in the autumn. 
  • Options
    Back in the eighties we took the helicopter from Penzanze to the Scilly Isles and back to get as much time in the Scillies as possible.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Back in the eighties we took the helicopter from Penzanze to the Scilly Isles and back to get as much time in the Scillies as possible.
    I’ve always wanted to do that but my wife struggles on a big jumbo and no way will she clamber aboard a helicopter.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    I’ve always wanted to do that but my wife struggles on a big jumbo and no way will she clamber aboard a helicopter.
    I beg your pardon........
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Boasting again are you 😉