Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Media coverage - a ray of hope

and that is Sir Chris of Powell - long interview with him on Five Live last night as part of their Championship preview. They love him in the media, so with any luck he can help us gat a decent share of what little coverage there is.

By the way, he said a lot of similar stuff to Pards in the Indie interview re bouncing back from defeats, so the brainwashing is working. He was also quick to deny that he was doing much coaching, saying we had plenty of them already...

On a less positive note (sorry to bring it up again) Hope Powell, the women's England manager, was interviewed earlier in the evening predominantly about Charlton getting rid of the women's team...bad for our image, I tell you, however hard some of you try to justify it.

Comments

• Options
    what women's team?

most people have forgotten about it already now that the season is upon us.

;-)
  • Options
    Do you know what, in the great scheme of things ridding ourselves of the womens team has barely registered a blip in the media. One days coverage and forgotton. We're a lot closer than most to things that are said about our club and a lot more sensitive to things said about us - but the average Football fan and journalist has already moved on and forgotten about it, i imagine most people probably never even knew we had a ladies side.

Take for example the Tevez affair that has rumbled on and on, and has hugely harmed West Ham's reputation. Losing the ladies side by comparison has not has not made the slightest bit of difference to our Image and reputation in the wider football world.
  • Options
    This thread genuinely wasn't meant to be about the women's team.

T, there has been a lot more than one day's coverage. Even my brother-in-law who hates football commented to me about our sexist club because he'd read about it in the Times - and yes, I agree, he proabably didn't realise we had a women's team at all till then. I've had comments from non-Charlton supporting friends all over the world on it. It has done our image a lot of damage, as it was very out of character for the image we had been so carefully building.
  • Options
    That's because you are a girl and support Charlton Weegie, they expect you to have an opinion on it. As you can imagine we get hundreds of fans of different clubs in our bar throughout the year, only two have commented on the demise of the womens team since the news broke. When I gave them the lowdown on how much it had cost the club each season, how many "real" staff had been made redundant, and pointed out that their club never even bothered with a womens team in the first place, they had a far more realistic perspective than the spin the papers put on it.
  • Options
    I know what you mean, Algarve, but it does prove to me that people noticed - even ones I never imagined would. I really don't want to rake up all the arguments again, so I'd better head out and buy another pair of shoes...(smiley, winky thingy).
  • Options
    Excuse me Weegie, but exactly how is our club "sexist"?

I hope you immediately put straight anyone who made such a ridiculous suggestion.
  • Options
    It's a shame the club have not managed to put a positive spin on this - we were one of the few clubs to embrase a professional womens' set up, we did it for 5/6 years, despite growing interest in the game and the womens' football the FA never secured sponsorship, TV or other income for the womens' game. We funded the women off the club's success, gave these ungrateful women a good salary for doing something they enjoy & now they are stabbing us in the back.
  • Options
    Without sounding like a complete male chauvenist pig are people mentioning it to you becuase they know you followed the womens side? When people find out i'm a Charlton fan they ask about Darren Bent and how we'll get on in the Championship, I've only had one comment on the womens team and that was the week it happened... I've seen absolutely nothing outside of the announcement and the fallout. I look out for Charlton stuff so i imagine most people have forgotten or not seen much on it.

I guess the other question is how really does it affect the club, will the neutral hate us because of it? Probably not.
    In the great scheme of things as dissapointing as we perhaps see it, it will have little long term fall out on the club as opposed to the Tevez saga and West Ham being one of the Panto villan sides in the country.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Excuse me Weegie, but exactly how is our club "sexist"?

I hope you immediately put straight anyone who made such a ridiculous suggestion.[/quote]

I'm sorry but I really do have to point out the spelling mistake on this occasion: it's spelt 'SexiEst'

We're gonna play sexy football (and we don't need female players either)
  • Options
    Exactly Jimmy, after all ......... what's wrong with being sexy?
    :o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paddy McCarrrty is sexy.....??????? ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]It's a shame the club have not managed to put a positive spin on this - we were one of the few clubs to embrase a professional womens' set up, we did it for 5/6 years, despite growing interest in the game and the womens' football the FA never secured sponsorship, TV or other income for the womens' game. We funded the women off the club's success, gave these ungrateful women a good salary for doing something they enjoy & now they are stabbing us in the back.

Would you be grateful to your employer if you got sacked because of the incompetent actions of others over whom you had no control?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I wouldn't be grateful to the idiot that ballsed up, but if I worked for a subsidary anyway you have very little control over things like your employers diect employees' actions