Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Luggage

Having returned from my summer holidays I’ve decided that we need to get some new suitcases. Ours are looking tired and I also was witness to someone’s, thankfully not one of my suitcases split asunder on the collection belt in Faro. Soft sided and I think zip had bust. Seems hard shell spinner cases ( 4 wheels) are the order of the day and having had a cursory look i dont know what brand to go with. Reviews as always are pointless with good and bad. Antler and Samsonite are very expensive but not ruled out and at this point I’m leaning towards American Tourister. Any thoughts or recommendations? 

Comments

• Options
    Yeah tripp are decent 
  • Options
    I’ve been searching luggage for a few hours and not come across Tripp. Looks worth a closer look. 👍
  • Options
    I’ve been searching luggage for a few hours and not come across Tripp. Looks worth a closer look. 👍
    Definitely is, Shooters.

The main thing you need is protection of a good hard shell and Tripp provide that at much less than Antler or Samsonite. Hold bags get thrown around by the handlers and get misused and abused, and I've never understood why people put very expensive luggage in a plane hold. I've seen Louis Vuitton cases smashed to bits on carousels.
  • Options
    Another vote for Tripp.  Decent mid quality hard and soft shell.  Bought half a dozen over the last fifteen years or so of various sizes.  Never had to ditch one
  • Options
    Just have your valet arrange to ship your luggage via DHL direct to your destination
  • Options
    I have one of these and a smaller cabin version - I travel a lot and vary between the two depending on length of trip. Great value and decent quality...

https://www.tripp.co.uk/tripp-full-circle-ii-grape-large-suitcase/p3715
  • Options
    I think I will buy stuff based on this thread too!

Always shocks me how expensive suitcases are. 
  • Options
    Right up there with the most expensive which is fine but are they three times as good ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    I think I will buy stuff based on this thread too!

Always shocks me how expensive suitcases are. 
    Never bought a new one. Always decent enough ones being sold in charity shops for a few quid.
  • Options
    https://madeley-yorkshire.com/

Luxury leather goods designed in Yorkshire, crafted in Italy.

I know Paul who owns the company. Really nice bloke.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    We have ancient Samsonite hard shell cases. (We think they are nearly 40 years old and have done a lot of flights.) 
    They have been excellent. 
    One has needed a new handle and new wheels.  The thing is the superb customer service.  Although these parts were for cases over 25 years old at the time Samsonite still had the parts and posted them to us free of charge. You surely can't get better than that.
  • Options
    Right. Very interesting. I’ve decided to get 2 x Tripp Escape Medium Expandable cases in Dove Grey. On offer in certain colours so I am chuffed to pay £49.50 each less 10% code for two cases that I was expecting to pay in excess of £100 each for American Tourister. Thanks @bobmunro and others for the heads up and advice.
  • Options
    https://madeley-yorkshire.com/

Luxury leather goods designed in Yorkshire, crafted in Italy.

I know Paul who owns the company. Really nice bloke.

I think that might be the only time in human history that someone bragged about being designed in Yorkshire but made in Italy  :D
  • Options
    TK Max are good for branded luggage at decent prices.

Otherwise John Lewis
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Agree with second hand. 
    Charity shops full of Touristers.

Environmentally sound too.
  • Options
    Mine are antler and very good so far (about 8 airline trips), quite expensive but got them in a sale down in their outlet store in Portsmouth, about 2/3rds off.
  • Options
    We’ve 4 or 5 Tripp ones of varying sizes and been very happy with them 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never had a Tripp before 🙄 been more of a Samonsonite guy, even though lost one of the wheels on a recent flight.
  • Options
    Just an observation but all of the wheels on any brand that I’ve looked like seem to be the weak spot. They really look quite flimsy and vulnerable. Quite why they can’t be more “shrouded” in the body of the case. I was considering buying a couple of expensive Samsonite or Antler cases but after the advice and feedback about Tripp I can’t really see the extra value. I’ve paid £89 for two medium cases so could afford to replace the. Several times over compared to Samsonite and Antler. Perhaps not quite as many nice zipped pockets but is that really what’s required in the final analysis? 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Does anyone know of a company that produces a reasonable priced case where you can lock the wheels?  
  • Options
    We use large Carlton travel holdalls with a pull out handle. Had them both about twenty years. Been to and round Australia twice, about five cruises, numerous other flights and still in really good condition. Normally pretty full and pretty heavy, about 26kg, so not easy to throw around and never had any issues. Would highly recommend. Easy to take off carousel too with their big handles.
  • Options
    Samsonite expensive but last for years
  • Options
    I’ve just been to John Lewis to look at the soft cases and came across an Eastpak 121L which looks ideal for my next trip (advised to take a soft case. But still love my Samsonite. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve just been to John Lewis to look at the soft cases and came across an Eastpak 121L which looks ideal for my next trip (advised to take a soft case. But still love my Samsonite. 
    That’s what I have.
    Had it for over 15yrs.
  • Options
    Just an observation but all of the wheels on any brand that I’ve looked like seem to be the weak spot. They really look quite flimsy and vulnerable. Quite why they can’t be more “shrouded” in the body of the case. I was considering buying a couple of expensive Samsonite or Antler cases but after the advice and feedback about Tripp I can’t really see the extra value. I’ve paid £89 for two medium cases so could afford to replace the. Several times over compared to Samsonite and Antler. Perhaps not quite as many nice zipped pockets but is that really what’s required in the final analysis? 
    Easily replaceable. 
    Had to do a few.
  • Options
    I was bought an ‘away’ cabin bag 3 years ago for my birthday which I initially thought was an odd gift. However, I’ve used so much and still looks brand new. Also use the inbuilt mobile charger that comes with it daily. 
    My ‘big’ suitcase broke as I got it cheap from that luggage shop in bluewater, probably used 5 times max the wheel snapped into the case so whilst it worked it was hard work pulling it. 

Treated myself to a medium ‘away’ case earlier this year and used 4 times already also looks brand new. They have these features that just make sense. Whilst expensive, I’m hoping both will see me through for many travels to come. 
    Husbands cheap case from bluewater shop has also broken and it’s defo not going to survive our trip to India up to daramshala. May look at Tripp based on reviews on this site if we can’t justify the spend on another away suitcase for him. 
  • Options
    @suziesausage
    Tripp are doing a medium sized case 67cm for £49.50 at the moment. Reduced from £120. Certain colours only but based on the reviews from fellow lifers it sounds like a real bargain. I hope so. I’ve bought two.