Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Help needed to get Johnnysummers5 back online!

Hoping someone computer minded can help!

I’ve messaged @Peacock63 to see if Terry can get online again. Apparently he has shaky hands and hasn’t been able to use a mobile phone. 
I’ve absolutely no idea about technology but there must be something he could use to get back to Charlton Life 🙏.
Does anyone have any ideas? I’m happy to contribute towards something to make this possible.

Comments

• Chromebook? Probably pick up a basic one for £150 (ish)
  • Thanks so far folks. I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing with technology. Can someone who knows what they’re doing help with the technical bit please?
  • I will willing donate to say something like just giving, but have no ideas re computers and what they can / can’t do. Sorry I can’t be more useful. all the best to Johnnysummers5.
  • I assume that the problem is that he is using his mobile phone to access the forum and that is likely to be small in size and have a small keyboard. Hence he can not easily hold it.

May be a tablet might be better or an actual computer. Something like Amazon fire hd 10 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/amazon-fire-hd-10-tablet/dp/B0CDYNL12F/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?crid=2QTG2CY4ELRFF&keywords=fire%2Btablets&qid=1697271794&sprefix=fire%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-18&th=1&psc=1

he could connect this to his mobile to get internet access unless the home has Wi-Fi 

he could use Alexa to open apps and accessibility options to increase keyboard size, font size etc 

he could also potentially use speech to text  to write his posts
  • Happy to collect any donations in to the protest fund account and purchase it. Once we agree on the best one to buy. 
  • Curb_It said:
    Happy to collect any donations in to the protest fund account and purchase it. Once we agree on the best one to buy. 
    Happy to contribute if you can kindly put the link on here for that platform. Thanks.
  • edited October 2023

In terms of a computer option:

Pen on Pad mouse

Pen on Pad mouse is another suitable option for people who have Parkinson’s disease. Still, it requires some basic training before the patient can use it to his advantage. Pen on Pad mouse comes in different shapes and sizes, and its performance depends on the user’s comfort level.

Here are some of the suitable options for Parkinson’s patients;

Big Key Keyboards

https://livingmadeeasy.org.uk/product/big-keys
  • edited October 2023
    Thank you all very much for the suggestions. 
    What I think would really help now is if there’s someone local to the home Terry’s in (Greenwich) who could visit him and see what he would like. Maybe take an iPad type of thing in for him to try. 
    It’s going to be much better if someone who understands the technology goes to see him.
    @Peacock63 and I are of a similar age and technology has passed us by!!
    Any offers please?🙏
  • Sponsored links:

• Would a large tablet be best.  Would @Peacock63 be able to check if there is wifi in the home?

Hopefully someone computer savvy will be able to help with this.  I dont want to collect any money until we know which one we should buy for him.

• A large tablet sounds a good idea to me. Is there anyone who lives near Greenwich who has one who could go and let Terry have a go?
  • Is this something the Trust could help with?
    I wish I lived in Blighty still, I’d be more than willing to go see Terry.
  • Thank you for all being so kind , unfortunately Terry(johnnysummers5) is struggling not just with his hands as they are very shaky , but also his eyesight is not so good , he has decided himself that he won't be back on Charlton life . I went to see him today and read him all your kind messages, it brought him to tears , and thanks you all so much 
  • A lot depends on the specific nature of the issues he's having really. My starting suggestion would be to see if his phone would work with an external keyboard, so he can type on that rather than having to use the onscreen one, as it requires less accuracy in where you're aiming. He may also find that he has better control using a stylus than just trying to use a fingers for activating the touch screen, although it may take a bit of practice. (I tend to buy them in bulk cos I'm always losing the damn things, so can send him a couple of spares to try out)
    As to which keyboard to get, there are a couple of factors to consider - where's he going to be using it, and connectivity. If he wants to use it on the go, then a foldable keyboard or a tablet case are better as they should be a bit less bulky and will protect the keys, but if he's only using it at home that's not an issue. If he's got a phone with a USB port, then some of the cheaper tablet cases have micro-usb connectivity, but that means he won't be able to use the keyboard while it's charging. Alternatively, you can get bluetooth keyboards, which means you don't have to worry about physical connections, but will need to faff about with pairing it to begin with.
  • edited October 2023
    Would be a shame if we couldn't find a way of keeping Terry conected. He might just be on a bit of a downer at the moment and might think differently a bit down the line
    Having said that, I don't post much at all, but I do very much like to check on whats occuring on CL, so if Terry can enjoy that, then it must be worth it don't you think?
  • Can even get it all hooked up to a TV screen for him to be able to see it 
  • red10 said:
    Would be a shame if we couldn't find a way of keeping Terry conected. He might just be on a bit of a downer at the moment and might think differently a bit down the line
    Having said that, I don't post much at all, but I do very much like to check on whats occuring on CL, so if Terry can enjoy that, then it must be worth it don't you think?
    I was thinking the same - he could be feeling low after what has happened 😢
  • edited October 2023
    Yes he might feel better in a few weeks and want to get back on board. 

• Probably best to leave it for now, but ask @Peacock63 to let him know that if he wants to come back at some point, we're here and ready to help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Peacock63 said:
    Thank you for all being so kind , unfortunately Terry(johnnysummers5) is struggling not just with his hands as they are very shaky , but also his eyesight is not so good , he has decided himself that he won't be back on Charlton life . I went to see him today and read him all your kind messages, it brought him to tears , and thanks you all so much 
    I’m in contact with a completely blind lady who trains guiding dogs for blind/poor sighted folk she uses FB regularly would it be of any use if I contacted her to find out what system she uses?

• I did used to work in managing the provison of disability working aids for employment for some time. It is really all about getting the right people to do the assessments. The specific charity is bound to have a lot of experience solving these internet access issues.  I would say, from experience, though not with certainty that a desktop with a large monitor or even a TV screen and a touchpad or mouse pen mightbe the way to go.

Seeing as the objective is to use the internet and Charlton Life, a powerful computer is not essential and an i5 should be more than sufficient which could be picked up for £50 to £60 and a mouse pen can be purchased for about £15 so this could be done relatively cheaply and could be connected to a tv via a hdmi lead. Also many moons ago there was software available in which you could type with speech and I would imagine this is far more advanced now.