Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Molyneux signs pro terms

edited October 2023 in General Charlton
https://www.charltonafc.com/news/henry-molyneux-signs-first-professional-contract

Mentioned by @clive  on the U21 thread but might be worth it's own discussion. Not seen much of him but given the generally mixed reviews Isted has so far and AMB's injury woes another keeper is probably no bad thing.

Plus at least this way we get a smidgeon more when he's poached later on.  ;)  

Comments

• Hearing this news makes me a bit surprised he didn't get an outing last night of some sort
  • Saw him twice in pre season and wasn’t overly impressed but he’s young and those that know must have seen something about him.
  • I first saw Henry Molyneux play nearly 3 years ago at Whyteleafe when he was in goal for Dulwich Hamlet against a Kinetic academy side. Most of the lads were 16 and despite Hamlet not being good on the day, Henry Molyneux had a presence about him and played with an edge. He was a talker and quick on his feet but still raw as you would expect.

With Kone leaving, Henry has moved up the pecking order but i haven't seen enough of him to judge his progress.
  • How long is the contract - can't see it in the link??

• edited October 2023
    Saw him twice in pre season and wasn’t overly impressed but he’s young and those that know must have seen something about him.
    Molyneux makes things simple.
  • I've seen him once, playing for the under-21s in pre-season last year, when he was still with the under-18s. He looked good for his age, obviously inexperienced but knowing what he was doing. For now I wouldn't expect him to be anything more than on the bench as an emergency sub if one of the two first choices is injured and it's not easy to judge which talented youngsters will eventually make it, but I'm definitely pleased to see us keeping him. Those who watch the under-21s regularly will be in a much better place to judge than I am, obviously.
  • redman said:
    Hearing this news makes me a bit surprised he didn't get an outing last night of some sort
    If he plays first team games it makes it harder for us to plead to get an emergency loan if anything happened to AMB.

• shirty5 said:
    Hang on he’s signing for Sheffield U it’s, I thought it was meant to be the other way round, in that we wanted one of their players?
  • Good luck to him, good night be to a decent club and I have a feeling he is from Sheffield but am probably wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• No his not from Sheffield his dads a millwall fan did say weeks back that one of our goalies was joining sheff utd but was asked not to name him at time 
  • Molyneaux is not from Sheffield. There is an organic culture at development level, and Sheffield United, Barnsley, Colchester, Cardiff and Charlton along with some others have a kind of unofficial grapevine of knowledge and views.
    From what I have seen he isn’t that exceptional but it is early days for him.
  • So his contract last October was just till the end of the season then?
  • I think we signed him from Dulwich Hamlet when he was 16 or so?

The couple of times I saw him play for the under-21s I thought he looked decent for his age; if I remember right he's only just turned 19. I've not seen enough other players at that age to judge whether we should have kept him, but I hope things work out for him.