Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Live Commentary gone? - Zoinks!

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Zoinks as Shaggy and Scooby might say: we've lost our live commentary. At least we've lost it from the OS. The OS also says that fans will not be able to listen to it on the BBC London site. Does that also extend to the BBC Kent site as our commentary is supposed to be on BBC Kent this Saturday?

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

If so what are us people stranded overseas meant to do? Watch text commentary? Bugger that - I don't think I could bear that for a whole season - it's the worst form of torture for a football fan. I can see lots of Saturday afternoons in the swimming pool this season because I'm not going down that route.

Please, there must be someway to listen on air - to think that last season we were even able to watch some games on dodgy Asian channels. Is this what relegation really means for us overseas bods?

Comments

• Options
    Blame the Football League.
  • Options
    We don't need blame (I've already put it all on Dowie anyway)

We need answers or I'll smash up my computer!
  • Options
    people living overseas - move back or tough shit basically.
  • Options
    Also extends to BBC Radio Kent (which was the same commentary anyway).

As it says 'ere, it's because the Football League has a bulk deal for its websites/online stuff, and we'd have to charge to stay in line with that. (It's £35 a year, whether you support Wolves or Bury.)

In the Championship, only us and Southampton don't have those poxy Premium TV sites. Having a quick scan of www.saintsfc.co.uk it's not quite clear what they do, but I shall ask a Saints fan and get back to you...
  • Options
    And, indeed, Southampton charge for their commentaries (introductory offer of £20/year, you know!)
  • Options
    I think I'd pay 20 quid for the year. Why can't the club give us the option?

By the way, thanks Ledge, very helpful. Sometimes moving back is not exactly possible. Why don't you start by asking foreign doctors how much they paid on the National Health Service?
  • Options
    Does signing-up to a Premium TV commentary package give you access to all Premium TV sites? If so, sign-up then log-in to the site of whoever we're playing that week. It might work....
  • Options
    Because the BBC provides the commentary, and it isn't allowed to charge for its services in this country because we've already paid for it via the licence fee. It's not the club's fault.

If, say, Capital Radio was still doing sport, then maybe that'd be an option (Southampton's are done by Radio Hampshire, which it recently sold) but in London it's only the BBC that's a player in doing local football commentaries.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Does signing-up to a Premium TV commentary package give you access to all Premium TV sites? If so, sign-up then log-in to the site of whoever we're playing that week. It might work....

I wouldn't give those scumbags any money. Terrible websites, and ripping off fans. You certainly used to be able to buy an "all clubs" package with them, don't know if they do now.
  • Options
    I fully agree Inspector - shit sites and poor value for money...but it may be an option for our foreign legion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I understand it well, the BBC London and Kent are still broadcasting live commentary, right?
    So they will also do this via their website? Officially you can't listen to this stream from abroad because it is for UK listeners only, but if you use a UK proxy when you go to the site, it should work.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dutch Addick[/cite]If I understand it well, the BBC London and Kent are still broadcasting live commentary, right?
    So they will also do this via their website? Officially you can't listen to this stream from abroad because it is for UK listeners only, but if you use a UK proxy when you go to the site, it should work.

No, they can't broadcast them online *at all* because of the Football League rules.
  • Options
    I've found 'World Extra' that offers live commentary to all but 1 Championship club. Us.
    Great - thanks Charlton.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]
    No, they can't broadcast them online *at all* because of the Football League rules.

Hmmm, that's bad news :-(
    I'm glad the club doesn't deal with that dodgy Premium TV, but no live commentary at all...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dutch Addick[/cite]If I understand it well, the BBC London and Kent are still broadcasting live commentary, right?

DutchAddick: If you feel as I do about this write a letter of complaint (e-mail) to Steve Sutherland as I've just done.
  • Options
    What's Steve Sutherland meant to do, then? Sell the club's website to PTV on the basis of what could be a year's stay in the Championship?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]What's Steve Sutherland meant to do, then? Sell the club's website to PTV on the basis of what could be a year's stay in the Championship?

I agree that for the club there's no alternative unfortunately, they have to obey the League rules and PTV is no option.
    Maybe it's time for Charlton Life Internet Radio :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]What's Steve Sutherland meant to do, then? Sell the club's website to PTV on the basis of what could be a year's stay in the Championship?

Is that really the option that's on the cards?
    Watford and Sheff Utd seem not to have had a problem. Or were they already with PTV?
  • Options
    You might find some commentaries pop up on P2P services, although PTV are very hot on clamping down on them (so I'm told).
  • Options
    Watford and Sheff Utd were already with PTV, yes. So are the majority of Prem clubs in some form, unfortunately.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

Is that really the option that's on the cards?
    Watford and Sheff Utd seem not to have had a problem. Or were they already with PTV?

Both Watford and Sheffield have PTV websites.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Does signing-up to a Premium TV commentary package give you access to all Premium TV sites? If so, sign-up then log-in to the site of whoever we're playing that week. It might work....

Just been to their site. Can't see anyway of signing up. I don't think it quite works like that. I don't think they sell to individuals but to clubs / businesses.
  • Options
    You have to sign up to PTV sites via the various clubs. I'd suggest not giving them your money, but if you can't live without a stuttering internet feed of someone else's club commentary, do it via a club you don't despise...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]You have to sign up to PTV sites via the various clubs. I'd suggest not giving them your money, but if you can't live without a stuttering internet feed of someone else's club commentary, do it via a club you don't despise...

Doesn't that mean that I can only get that particular club's commentary for the whole season?

Or do you mean I can do it on a match by match basis with our opposition of each particular week?

Thanks for the help btw
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Apparently there is a package which means you can listen to all club commentaries, all season, but I've not been able to find it. Because their sites are so shit.

They only offer monthly/annual options, as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    I went to Scunthorpe's site and found a subscription but I'm not sure if I'd end up only with their commentaries all season.

I find this all a bit shocking when I think that last season I was able to WATCH some games and listen to all games for free!

I'm willing to pay a bit but 30-40 quid is a bit steep just to listen. Didn't you say that Southampton do it for 20?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]

I'm willing to pay a bit but 30-40 quid is a bit steep just to listen. Didn't you say that Southampton do it for 20?

Introductory offer, Saints games only (they're the only ones who do it independently of PTV).
  • Options
    Valley McMoist was a star last Saturday.

He kept us updated on here 'LIVE' from the Valley until his battery ran flat.
  • Options
    Relly liked what Valley McMoist did last week, and i'd even consider getting a phone to do the same thing.

Lookout, how difficult would it be and what technology needed for me and the couple of mates next to me to provide live running commentary on audio throughout the game ???
  • Options
    Yeah, was great work by Valley. Well done. The texting can be done, no problem, if someone is willing to do it. Audio would present problems but could technically be done I'm sure, if we put some thought into it. But I'm sure it would violate some Club policies or agreements or summing. Rights etc.