Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spiders - what the hell is this in my garden ???

Comments

• Carter said:
    My dad encountered one of those Asian Hornets in his house, he told me about it, I said "You are meant to call them in and report them, take a photo etc" he sent me a photo of the very dead and battered Asian Hornet having taken several strikes from a moccasin. It was massive, no wonder the concern about them and the chaos they could cause to the native bees 
    Well they've made it to europe it's only a matter of time before they make it across the channel ( possibly in small dinghy's)
    They are here and recorded in Thamesmad.
  • cafcfan said:
    No way is that the Spider in my garden - the spider in my garden is nowhere anywhere near as big as that one on that video 

Disappointed - put a train up on CL, within minutes CL members name it - Spiders - 🤷 
  • Spiders don't bother me at all, but they do my wife. When I met her, there was a spider in the car and she tried to get out whilst we were moving. I don't inderstand it. No spider from this country is going to do you any harm!
    I didn't know but apparently we do have a poisonous spider in the UK.
  • red10 said:
    Has anyone had a large wasp like bug in the house? I don't I think its a hornet.
    Asian hornet?, I think you are supposed to grab a  pic and call it in.

Bear in mind this is deceptive as a Jeremy Beadle is holding the wasp.

• Common names: garden spider, European garden spider, cross spider,  Flashheart hunter spider

p.s. sleep well  :#

😹

Having lived in Australia, where every moving thing was dangerous, including the people! 

Today, I’m ok with spiders, although that may vary with size, but at one point, they use to scare the shit out of me.
  • Spiders don't bother me at all, but they do my wife. When I met her, there was a spider in the car and she tried to get out whilst we were moving. I don't inderstand it. No spider from this country is going to do you any harm!
    Thought all spiders are poisonous, but not potent enough to harm humans and / or can't pierce human skin in the first place
  • They found some Asian hornets at my Mrs' school in Maidstone. They trapped it and then the official people give it some sugar. The hornets are let go and then fly straight back to their nest to report food. Do this a few times and they can triangulate the position of the nest. They found the nest and destroyed it.
  • Gribbo said:
    Spiders don't bother me at all, but they do my wife. When I met her, there was a spider in the car and she tried to get out whilst we were moving. I don't inderstand it. No spider from this country is going to do you any harm!
    Thought all spiders are poisonous, but not potent enough to harm humans and / or can't pierce human skin in the first place
    Yeah, maybe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Common names: garden spider, European garden spider, cross spider,  Flashheart hunter spider

p.s. sleep well  :#

😹

Having lived in Australia, where every moving thing was dangerous, including the people! 

Today, I’m ok with spiders, although that may vary with size, but at one point, they use to scare the shit out of me.
    Oh yeah, Australia is different level dangerous for wildlife - Champions League level!

If it's not the spiders, it's the snakes, crocs, sharks, jellyfish, Sheilas - there's always something out there round every corner waiting to mess up your day/life!
  • edited October 2023
    cafcfan said:
    That video should come with a health warning, gross but beautiful at the same time...🙄
  • This one terrified me the other day

Found a HUGE spider in my toilet this morning - 9GAG
    You must’ve fainted…
  • This one terrified me the other day

Found a HUGE spider in my toilet this morning - 9GAG
    You must’ve fainted…
    Blood loss to the brain.
  • cafcfan said:
    I really don't get on well with spiders. Imagine my horror, then, when visiting friends in Australia, and we went off to lunch. As we drove away and turned into the sun, I flipped down the visor and this giant spider fell on to me. I was petrified. I now know it was a giant banded huntsman. I don't want to meet another.  Think two inch body and over six inch leg span and very, very quick. 

Don't worry they don't often bite humans I was told.

(On the same trip, I was viciously beaked by an Australian Magpie and had my polo mints stolen from my pocket by a kangaroo's creepy little hands.  Australia - best to avoid in my opinion.)
    Kills more people in Oz than any other spider despite, as you say, being relatively harmless.
  • Gribbo said:
    Spiders don't bother me at all, but they do my wife. When I met her, there was a spider in the car and she tried to get out whilst we were moving. I don't inderstand it. No spider from this country is going to do you any harm!
    Almost all UK spider species are venomous i.e. they use venom to kill/disable/digest their prey often injected via fangs when biting.
    Very very few UK species have sufficient bite strength to break human skin rendering their venom irrelevant.  Of the few that are strong enough to puncture your skin their venom might cause an irritating bump or rash but is highly unlikely to be dangerous unless you experience a serious allergic reaction. The worst complications are usually experienced if the initial puncture wound becomes infected e.g. by scratching and failing to keep it clean

Whether or not they are poisonous depends on whether you try to eat them.
  • Hex said:
    cafcfan said:
    I really don't get on well with spiders. Imagine my horror, then, when visiting friends in Australia, and we went off to lunch. As we drove away and turned into the sun, I flipped down the visor and this giant spider fell on to me. I was petrified. I now know it was a giant banded huntsman. I don't want to meet another.  Think two inch body and over six inch leg span and very, very quick. 

(On the same trip, I was viciously beaked by an Australian Magpie and had my polo mints stolen from my pocket by a kangaroo's creepy little hands.  Australia - best to avoid in my opinion.)
    Kills more people in Oz than any other spider despite, as you say, being relatively harmless.
    Except that it doesn't. No-one has died of a spider bite in Australia for over forty years.

https://australian.museum/learn/animals/spiders/spider-facts/

• Stig said:
    Hex said:
    cafcfan said:

Except that it doesn't. No-one has died of a spider bite in Australia for over forty years.

Maybe not from a bite, but how many died from sheer fright!
  • If you are interested in spiders you will find this short film interesting

https://youtu.be/BhTjifulPB8?si=SWMdWZaWAcQweX1s

• Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    Hex said:
    cafcfan said:

Maybe not from a bite, but how many died from sheer fright!
    Nearly correct.  It’s their habit of hiding above a driver’s sun visor, then dropping onto the driver when they are least expecting it, thus causing an accident.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Was reading this thread yesterday and last night putting washing away and got bitten by a spider. Could see the two marks, did not see the spider though. Was actually quite painful the little buggers. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Venomous not poisonous. 

• I have a question re Asian Hornets. Do they have a maximum northerly range or in other words are we eventually to expect them in Yorkshire ? 
  • I Always seem to have cobwebs in my wing mirrors. 
    It makes no difference how many times I wipe them away the buggers Always return 
  • Hal1x said:

I have a question re Asian Hornets. Do they have a maximum northerly range or in other words are we eventually to expect them in Yorkshire ? 
    Well as they wont be local to Yorkshire they wont be made to feel welcome.
    "This is a LOCAL garden for LOCAL hornets! There's nothing for YOU here...."
  • I Always seem to have cobwebs in my wing mirrors. 
    It makes no difference how many times I wipe them away the buggers Always return 
    I've got a plan for these. You know those bonkers false eyelashes girls wear? I want to get hold of some uncut ones, self adhesive, long enough to go around the wing mirrors.  I reckon they would be flexible enough to stop the little bleeders getting into the mirror housings.
    This time next year I could be a millionaire.
  • Try living in a barn conversion out in the sticks, millions of the little buggers. The bigger ones do keep the cats entertained until their legs fall off.