Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quick question for Led Zep fans

It's more of a research question. No right or wrong answer,so no need to look it up. It's for my mate who has an amazing anorak rock show on Prague's Radio 1. He often describes back-stories to the tracks he's playing.

Yesterday he did that with 
D’yer Mak’er from Houses of the Holy. Of course you know the song.

Question is, and mainly for those like me old enough to be around when it came out, what, when you first heard it, did you understand from the song's title? Maybe you had an initial reaction and it changed over time?. 

That's it. The more responses the better. But like I say, no Wiki or other research needed, just your spontaneous answers. Ta!

Comments

• Options
    Do you make her?
    Or a play on the word Jamaica, which is what I think it is.
  • Options
    Couldn't stand the song personally, it was just not Led Zep at all.
    I really don't think too much thought was put into song titles or band names at the time.
  • Options

PS. I am a sad bugger who likes to see the reaction videos on you tub of younger people reacting to ‘our’ music for the first time.
    There is a woman classical harpist who has reacted to Zep, what she says about them is that the four guys are astonishingly technically gifted, but none of them is interested in showing off as such, but sacrifice their individual egos for the music, they want to make the song and the sound work as a collective.
    Reaction videos eh? Sad but true.
  • Options
    I really don't think too much thought was put into song titles or band names at the time.
    Apparently neither could John Bonham, that was the 2nd half of my mate's back-story monologue. Said Bonham hated reggae (and jazz) and refused to perform this live. 
  • Options
    awful cod reggae from an awful band.  Made that dreadful 10CC song Dreadlock holiday song seem vaguely good in comparison.

There was loads of fantastic reggae around then (74?) but none of it was done by rock bands
  • Options
    I didn't like it either! I'm just interested in what people might have thought it was about. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    Apparently neither could John Bonham, that was the 2nd half of my mate's back-story monologue. Said Bonham hated reggae (and jazz) and refused to perform this live. 
    They performed it as a second or third encore at one of their Earls Court gigs. I know because I was there and heard it.
    Led Zeppelin were so eclectic that there are features of Rock, Folk, Blues, Funk, Country, Jazz, and yes a dalliance with Reggae, and dare I say it even classical. In an interview with Plant he chose ‘I’m in a dancing mood’  by Delroy Wilson as an influence. Live Zeppelin never performed the same song in the same way, they were organic and not rigid as a live act.
    As for Bonham hating Jazz, that is a big claim and open to dispute.
    Music opinion is subjective, but as a band Led Zeppelin had an almost telepathic connection between the four members. The band can be criticised for lack of social commentary lyrically, I don’t think they wanted to lecture people through their music, which was often about love sex and heartbreak with a bit of wistful folk aspiration thrown in, indeed early Zep was sometimes described as ‘cock rock’ (!).
    I think their biggest strength was contained within their collective musicianship, and it is interesting to note how many have been influenced by them, from rap samplers, ‘modern’ bands like Nirvana, and to take one individual example, the superb and late lamented Jeff Buckley.
  • Options
    I just thought on no and skipped to the next track!
  • Options

There was loads of fantastic reggae around then (74?) but none of it was done by rock bands
    Yup … changed in late 70’s with the Clash and numerous others 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's one that has grown on me with time, younger me it was definitely a move on song, these days I like when I hear it.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    The article says they never played it live, but they did a version of it at least once, I know because I heard it.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    stonemuse said:
    .........And people said they didnt have a sense of humour!
    I always thought every album had a couple of good tracks, the rest balderdash and piffle!, I was never a fan of five minute guitar solos meself.
  • Options
    Just listened to it on Spotify - didn't like it much, but noticed Led Zep still getting 18 million listens a month - thought that was quite good, but when I listed the most monthly streamed artists it was headed up by The Weekend - Who's he?  Some Canadian geezer - on 106 million listens.

Now where's that 'Things that make you feel old' thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-streamed_artists_on_Spotify#:~:text=As of October 2023, Canadian singer The Weeknd is the,monthly listeners in Spotify's history.
  • Options
    I assumed the title was a take on the old, old joke

"My wife's gone to the Caribbean"

"Jamaica?"

"No, she went of her own accord"
  • Options
    "D'yer Make'er" is a very obvious pun if you pronounce it with an English accent, but simply doesn't work with an American accent.  So, it is a surprise that it was released in the States but not in the UK.  

It reached #20 in the Billboard Hot 100 at a time when the American charts were brimming with British artists.   That week, there were also singles in the Billboard Hot 100 from Elton John, Paul McCartney and Wings, John Lennon, Ringo Starr (two singles), David Essex, ELO and The Who as well as big names like Curtis Mayfield, Johnny Mathis, The Isleys, Joni Mitchell, Art Garfunkel, Alice Cooper, John Denver, Steely Dan, James Brown, BB King, The Band, Bob Dylan, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, Kool & The Gang, Earth Wind & Fire, Paul Simon, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight And The Pips (two singles), Al Green, Billy Preston, Donny Osmond, Marie Osmond, Barbra Streisand, Aretha Franklin, Chicago, Stevie Wonder, Batty White and that other brilliant play-on-words, Steve Miller Band*.  

My Dad ran the advertising account for Air Jamaica in the 1970s.  So, for that reason, I got very used to the joke that the song title is based on.  I heard "my wife went to the west indies", "Jamaica?", "no, she went of her own accord", several times a week for almost the whole decade.  

The title of the song is only a reference to Jamaica; it has nothing to do with anything expressed in the lyrics.  John Bonham played the reggae beat (ie syncopated four-four time, with the accent on the third beat of the bar) as well as any rock drummer (best example: Stewart Copeland).  And John Paul Jones just about managed a drag bassline.  

In short, the title's better than the song.  And the original isn't as good as some covers.  Here's quite a nice one: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0yntm_sB9s 

* The reference to the "Steve Miller Band" play on words comes from former Labour Leader and bacon sandwich botherer Ed Milliband.  Tired of being asked if David was his brother, he used to say "no, but Steve is", leaving perplexed interlocutors trying to Google "Steve Milliband". 
  • Options
    Never liked the song. Loved Zep in my youth. As I grew up and "discovered" proper reggae found it a bit embarrassing tbh.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    PaddyP17 said:
    Hahaha how can someone call Led Zeppelin an awful band
    Attention seeking?

I mean, why come on a thread asking a "quick question for Led Zep fans" just to then say how you're not a fan and the band are awful? Very odd, but you can set your watch by it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As for the song, of course it's just a light hearted fake-reggae ditty. Not to be taken too seriously, like the joke.

Of course there are other, better, reggae tunes out there. But that really wasn't the point, was it.
  • Options
    redman said:
    I just thought on no and skipped to the next track!
    As I did about 40 years ago when I first got into Zeppelin. Then more recently I've been giving all their albums another listen to and on reading up on stuff I believe it was a pun on Jamaica. 
  • Options
    I was at the Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music in 1970. (It was where Eavis got the idea for Glasto.)  I went, mainly to watch Zappa but Led Zep did a 3-hour set. I thought they were okayish.  But, strangely, I never owned any of their albums until about 10 years ago and I now have them all.  A great band but this track is no more than a sort of musical equivalent to an amuse-bouche.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Not really. Perhaps Police & Thieves was ok because of Stummer’s vocal…just about. But not sure rock bands covering reggae songs has ever really worked. Mind you, reggae artists love them for the roakties, and the exposure. But mainly the royalties ;-)  They loved UB40 who kept many reggae artists off the breadline. 
  • Options
    Never liked the song. Loved Zep in my youth. As I grew up and "discovered" proper reggae found it a bit embarrassing tbh.
    Me too. Liked them until around the time of their fourth album. They were cool in their early years Henners. And I also like soul and reggae then as well. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    stonemuse said:

Not really. Perhaps Police & Thieves was ok because of Stummer’s vocal…just about. But not sure rock bands covering reggae songs has ever really worked. Mind you, reggae artists love them for the roakties, and the exposure. But mainly the royalties ;-)  They loved UB40 who kept many reggae artists off the breadline. 
    Hammersmith Palais, Armageddon Times?

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:
    stonemuse said:

The Clash did good covers of great roots songs plus Hammersmith Palais.

Most of the other punk and non-punk bands threw in a token cod reggae song and they were almost universally awful (ob lad di ob la da being the first I'm aware of).

Talking of royalties it's one of the reasons I never liked Zeppelin.  Ripped off mainly black blues artists by not crediting the songs they stole (they also did it for Stairway to Heaven) but the main reasons where plant's screeching, Page's faux-mystical lyrics, 20 minute drum solos and just not being at all funky.  Hendrix did heavy but it was funky.  Free were a blues based rock band but it was funky.  Zeppelin and the wave of bands they inspired were just heavy and plodding. 

But at least they weren't Queen : - )

• Options
    Thanks for the responses. The consensus seems to be broadly around the Jamaica play on words. Apparently my mate got his material from Jimmy Page’s own web/blogsite, which is paywalled, if you please! Í’ll try to persuade my mate to lift and post the article to me. His telling on his programme was slightly different, but inevitably language may get in the way, even though he speaks perfect English with a US drawl. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:
    stonemuse said:

I tried to like those, as a Clash fan, but it didn’t work. They don’t bother me, I just tend to skip the tracks if they come on.