Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thursday Floodlights

A short thread on floodlights

One you can see close up in the Valley room at the Valley. 1992 vintage

Comments

• Options
    This photo is a wonderful piece of Addicks and social history

Taken, it appears, from the South East corner floodlight tower and again probably in 1961, it shows the old Covered End with the war damage repair to the left side of the roof clearly visible.

There appears to be some work going on to the Covered End terraces to the right

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Finally a different type of tower familiar to pre-1985 fans.

The temporary TV gantry on the East terrace 

This is probably 10 September 1966

Charlton 1 - 1 Palace (16,986)
  • Options
    All great photos but I doubt I have ever seen a better photo of the south terrace. A superb picture of a once great terrace.
  • Options
    Charlton were one of the last league clubs to get floodlights, in 1961, and only then because fans helped pay for them 

Look at the height of the open end (Now Jimmy Seed stand)

Wasn't the open end the same height as the east terrace until we sold off some of the land ?
  • Options
    Didn’t the floodlights we had when we moved back to the Valley in the early 90’s win awards for being the best in the country? Have I totally imagined that?
  • Options
    Am I right in saying the floodlights were sold to Biggleswade?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am I right in saying the floodlights were sold to Biggleswade?
    I believe you are correct 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    North west corner floodlights (top half).  Photo taken by myself on the morning of 21 Sep 1985 prior to the Stoke City game.

• Options
    Love a proper pylon. So much more interesting and atmospheric than roof mounted lights.

Great thread, @CharltonAthMuseum
  • Options
    All great photos but I doubt I have ever seen a better photo of the south terrace. A superb picture of a once great terrace.

• Options
    Try this one.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Try this one.
    Cheers, another good one, looks like the top of the south has just been sold off.
  • Options
    I’m not sure but the game was a Woolwich district school game in the late 60’s
  • Options
    Remember standing on that upper terracing on the southern end from time to time. 
  • Options
    Acab said:

great picture as it shows the terrace in the course of being reduced in size and sold off. It looks like the steps have already gone and the new back line established. I suppose at the time we didnt need all of the space (and in fact probably never would) but the ground was a bit diminished afterwards. Amazing to think that the ground level behind the new back line was removed to accommodate the new housing. That would have been some excavation...