Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Free agents

It is interesting that no-one has started a thread about this so far partly because we did a lot of business on deadline day. However , in my opinion we still have an imbalanced squad.

My personal view on signing free agents changed after Joe Ledley's brief spell with us four years ago. Joe was a player who I had long admired from his time at Cardiff , Celtic, Palace and Wales. He was clearly unfit when he was thrown in at Middlesbrough, so I accept this is not a magic bullet and players would need to be brought up to speed.

Rather than list all available free agents.

I am concentrating on positions we need or players who have a previous relationship with Appleton.

Left sided defenders. Joe Walsh ex Lincoln ( where he played under Appleton ) , Ciaran Clark ( he is currently training with Stoke) and Kean Bryan. There doesn't seem to be any obvious left backs.

Wide players. Andros Townsend. Maybe worth a short term contract until January?

Other Appleton connected players Liam Bridcutt although this is not a position where we need urgent reinforcements.

Comments

• Jones, strangely, seems very comfortable playing on the left side of a CB pairing despite being right footed. We also have Terrell Thomas who’s natural position is LCB.

Andros Townsend has a comfy commentary gig nowadays - effectively retired, if not officially confirmed.

The squad photo put out by the club had 28 players. Not doubt the squad isn’t perfect for what Appleton wants (and he’s already hinted at that) but I think we’re in a position where outgoings have to happen before incomings.
  • We have enough players as it is. Will need to wait until January for players to leave before any more join. 
  • Jones, strangely, seems very comfortable playing on the left side of a CB pairing despite being right footed. We also have Terrell Thomas who’s natural position is LCB.

Andros Townsend has a comfy commentary gig nowadays - effectively retired, if not officially confirmed.

The squad photo put out by the club had 28 players. Not doubt the squad isn’t perfect for what Appleton wants (and he’s already hinted at that) but I think we’re in a position where outgoings have to happen before incomings.
    I pulled up another poster that said the same about Thomas. He's right footed isn't he? 
  • You mentioned Andros Townsend. I'm pretty sure I have seen training players at our academy. Could be wrong but certainly looked like him. 
  • Talal said:
    Jones, strangely, seems very comfortable playing on the left side of a CB pairing despite being right footed. We also have Terrell Thomas who’s natural position is LCB.

I pulled up another poster that said the same about Thomas. He's right footed isn't he? 
    100% a left footer
  • edited October 2023
    Talal said:
    Jones, strangely, seems very comfortable playing on the left side of a CB pairing despite being right footed. We also have Terrell Thomas who’s natural position is LCB.

100% a left footer
    Not sure about that, quick google has results saying right and I've always thought he was right but competent with left.

Also a 'highlights' video on YouTube that shows his preference for the right. 
  • Thomas is right footed but uses his left a fair bit for basic passes.
  • If CBT won't sign a new contract I would go all out and try and bring in TFH back now and replace CBT before he goes.  Crazy I know.

I do think we need a gun center back and a proper leader, preferably the same player, but not sure we would get enough benifit from a free agent before the window opens to make it a worthwhile gamble.
  • Who is TFH?
  • Chunes said:
    Who is TFH?
    Tarique Fosu?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2023
    Tariq Fosu-Henry
  • edited October 2023
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

100% a left footer
    Not sure about that, quick google has results saying right and I've always thought he was right but competent with left.

Also a 'highlights' video on YouTube that shows his preference for the right. 
    Bizarre, just watched the same video and you’re correct… well I guess we don’t have a primarily left footed CB on the books then. But Jones and Thomas have both proven capable of playing there at a fairly comfortable level.
  • Townsend didn't sound retired. He trained with Burnley all summer and expected a contract from them and was surprised/gutted he didn't get one. Doubt he would drop to L1 level though. Suspect of he can find another gig at a top level or Champ club he continues otherwise he stops.
  • edited October 2023
    Townsend didn't sound retired. He trained with Burnley all summer and expected a contract from them and was surprised/gutted he didn't get one. Doubt he would drop to L1 level though. Suspect of he can find another gig at a top level or Champ club he continues otherwise he stops.
    The reason I mentioned him was I sometimes find players drop their aspirations. He hasn't played for 18 months and as a London boy would he be looking to play closer to his roots? Apparently he is training with Spurs.

A short term deal here might get him playing again. Would a team higher up sign him? As a left footed winger he offers something different like JRS did.

Last year Hector trialled at Luton and Reading before signing for us.

I agree Fosu would be another interesting option.
  • MA has said we have too many attacking players and not enough players who can shut up shop when needed (my words not his) while Methven has claimed we've already gone over our budget and needed to tell the EFL we'd top up our budget with some equity.

So I'd suggest we won't sign any more forwards and probably won't sign any defensive players unless MA and AS can convince the money men there is an urgent need.
  • Richard J said:
    Chunes said:
    Who is TFH?
    Tarique Fosu?
    Right. Cheers. Personally I think we should go for SB or AP.
  • Davide de Gea,
  • Pretty sure that barring an injury crisis (our ever present sick list is not i m o a proper crisis) the squad should stay the same until January, we have more than enough new players in need of 'bedding in'
  • Chunes said:
    Richard J said:
    Chunes said:
    Who is TFH?
    Tarique Fosu?
    Sandra Bullock and Alan Partridge?
  • Chunes said:
    Richard J said:
    Chunes said:
    Who is TFH?
    Tarique Fosu?
    Sandra Bullock and Alan Partridge?
    There's me hoping Sergio Busquets and Andrea Pirlo.

More likely Austin Powers and Shirley Bassey.