Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who was the fastest?

Last Saturday, the Wycombe defenders were turned inside out in their attempts to lay a boot on Corey Blackett-Taylor but he just ran past them, seemingly still in third gear. It has made me wonder. Who in the past was quicker down the field than Corey? I would offer Dennis Rommedahl, or going back even further, Mike Kenning? Any ideas. 

Comments

• Wiggins was pretty nippy. 
  • Last Saturday, the Wycombe defenders were turned inside out in their attempts to lay a boot on Corey Blackett-Taylor but he just ran past them, seemingly still in third gear. It has made me wonder. Who in the past was quicker down the field than Corey? I would offer Dennis Rommedahl, or going back even further, Mike Kenning? Any ideas. 
    Rommedahl was a sub 11 second sprinter so has to be right up there but, elsehwhere, it would probably take something special to beat Adam Gemili, seven years in the Chelsea Academy and then Reading before playing for Dagenham & Redbridge and Thurrock  
  • Danny Haynes without a doubt, just a shame he was too fast for his own body
  • Wasn’t John Regis in our youth team at some point?
  • edited September 2023
    The answer my friend, was Robbo on the Wing.
    The answer was Robbo on the Wing.

(Bob Dylan)
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcpolo said:
    Dennis absolutely. Fastest we've ever had.
    Only problem was that was without the ball. When he had the ball at his feet he was no faster than his team mates.
  • Vetokele was no slouch. 
  • edited September 2023
    Shaun Newton was pretty rapid in his day. And Rufus pre knee injuries. I still remember once, away at Birmingham, Rufus making up so much ground on a Birmingham player that was through one-on-one on our goal, that he started outside my field of vision before catching up with the striker and dispossessing him with a perfect sliding tackle. I think Rufus is certainly the fastest centre back we ever had. Not fast enough to outrun the law though!
  • cafcpolo said:
    Only problem was that was without the ball. When he had the ball at his feet he was no faster than his team mates.
    He was, but then didn't really use it.

Drove me crazy how he'd run to a defender, then stop, turn back inside and play it to a midfielder.

Anyone could do that, you've got pace, use it!

Remember the one time he did use it brilliantly and Villa (I think) could only bring him down and one of them got sent off.

• seth plum said:
    Phil Chappell had the fastest leg movement in ratio to the least distance travelled.
    I see your Chappell and raise you a Bradley Allen.
  • Rommedahl was so fast he managed to become an international footballer despite basically not having functional feet. Haynes was a monster across the ground as well
  • edited September 2023
    Shaun Newton was pretty rapid in his day. And Rufus pre knee injuries. I still remember once, away at Birmingham, Rufus making up so much ground on a Birmingham player that was through one-on-one on our goal, that he started outside my field of vision before catching up with the striker and dispossessing him with a perfect sliding tackle. I think Rufus is certainly the fastest centre back we ever had. Not fast enough to outrun the law though!
    Rufus was incredibly fast....

... and loose with other people's money. 
  • edited September 2023
    Although I will always like Rommedahl, obviously:

https://x.com/CafcFacts/status/1599675715435188225?s=20
  • cafcpolo said:
    He was, but then didn't really use it.

Drove me crazy how he'd run to a defender, then stop, turn back inside and play it to a midfielder.

Anyone could do that, you've got pace, use it!

Remember the one time he did use it brilliantly and Villa (I think) could only bring him down and one of them got sent off.

Yeah, it was Gareth Barry, remember him just ripping Dennis down
  • Sponsored links:

• For pure acceleration over 10 yards Killer, it got him in behind defender's most times.
    Over longer distances got to be Rommedahi.

• edited September 2023
    Ernie, according to Benny Hill
  • edited September 2023
    Peter Garland.

Physique like a whippet!.
  • Mickey Bennet and Paul Williams before they picked up injuries were very quick. 
  • The great Len wasn't slow but I suspect Dennis in the last minute, given his 100 metre stats, is probably the man.
  • Not Romm level but Pringle was nippy. 
  • Yes. Paul Williams fast.  Not sure how fast Alfie May is but at his age he doesn't stop running at Defenders. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Yes. Paul Williams fast.  Not sure how fast Alfie May is but at his age he doesn't stop running at Defenders. 
    Alfie amazes me with his running......still going strong after 90 mins.....love his work ethic