Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Michael Gambon - dies age 82

RIP - died in hospital from pneumonia - family were with him - probably in Darent Valley as he lived in Meopham, next to Camer Park 

Comments

• Ah. Such a shame. Love him . RIP
  • Wow.
    Seen him in live performances several times.
    Usually serious stuff like Brecht’s Galileo or opposite Helen Mirren in Anthony and Cleopatra, or Checkov.
    Helped elevate the Singing Detective into a masterpiece. 
    Thank you Michael.
    RIP
  • Wonderful actor RIP
  • Sleep tight, Michael.
  • So sad.
    RIP Sir 😞
  • R I P Michael.

Loved him in the Singing Detective and Gosford Park.

Fabulous brief interview with him on X don't know if this link will work 

https://x.com/Johnnypapa64/status/1707361564968239374?s=20
  • RIP Michael.

A fine actor over many years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Loved the singing detective. Didn't know when I watched it that Michael's first job before becoming an actor was as an apprentice st Vickers Crayford.
  • Ah thats sad, he was great in Layer Cake, Harry Potter in fact everything I've seen him in. And how many people can say they have a corner named after them on the Top Gear track? That was a really funny lap

Rest in peace 
  • Great character actor and what a voice!

RIP
  • Loved the singing detective. Didn't know when I watched it that Michael's first job before becoming an actor was as an apprentice st Vickers Crayford.
    His first acting experience was at the Geoffrey Whitworth Theatre in Crayford - he claimed that he only first went there because a friend of his going for an audition, Gambon tagged along, when they got there Gambon saw that there were quite a few attractive girls there, so he auditioned as well, got the part, his mate did not 
  • RIP Michael - a fine actor 

• Michael Gambon in 1961 in a play called ‘The Judge’ at the Geoffrey Whitworth Theatre in Crayford 

He later became President of the theatre
  • RIP - one of our best modern actors, Singing Detective was a masterclass and I wonder why none of Dennis Potter's dramas are never given a showing
  • super, versatile, very convincing actor in many roles .. R I P
  • R I P Michael.

Loved him in the Singing Detective and Gosford Park.

Fabulous brief interview with him on X don't know if this link will work 

https://x.com/Johnnypapa64/status/1707361564968239374?s=20
    From the same episode of Top Gear

• Sponsored links:

• The Singing Detective was the first grown-up TV show I remember watching. Didn't understand any of it but his performance was burned into my brain. A total legend. 
  • RIP - a great actor.

Who can forget that scene in The Singing Detective with Joanne Whalley as Nurse Mills applying ointment to his nether regions ("I'll have to lift your penis now to grease around it"), with him desperately trying to think of things to avoid embarrassment - "butcher's windows, Norway, Brian Clough, the Liberal Party, penguins, Mrs Thatcher...." (Unsurprisingly, it didn't work).
  • Fantastic actor who leaves behind a solid legacy.

RIP
  • Great actor. RIP.
  • A fantastic actor. RIP Michael 
  • Not seen any Harry Potter and the Singing Detective was a bit highbrow for me as a teenager.

But saw him recently in a great film called The Quartet, staring Billy Connolly Maggie Smith & a fair few other fine actors.  He was great in that too & he will be sorely missed.

RIP
  • Big fan of his stuff. RIP Michael. 
  • It would be great if somehow there could be a remastered version of the Singing Detective made that suits modern television sets in the wider screen, and colours more vibrant so modern audiences could re discover it.
    One thing that made it special is how suited to the television it is, not suited for the film format. The writing, the cast, the originality (although Pennies From Heaven paved the way), and Michael Gambon plus a stellar cast and phenomenal writing and creativity made it truly special.
    Blue Remembered Hills also occupies the same masterpiece space.
    Michael stumbled into AmDram in Crayford, so I like to think of him as one of our own.