Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Car prices.

edited September 2023 in General Charlton
Just seen why the prices of new cars have gone up so much (Base Corsa about £20k / Base Ford Focus £26490) the manufacturers will be fined £15k per car if they don't hit certain percentages of new car sales. So they will use the high prices to a/ put off new petrol/diesel car sales, and b/ subsidise the electric car prices to force people into electric cars.

Comments

• More than 20% of each manufacturer’s new cars sold in 2024 must be zero-emission or they will potentially face fines of £15,000 per vehicle, under the targets proposed in a government consultation this year. Ministers may decide to dilute the requirements but industry leaders have been told plans for some level of sales target are expected to be confirmed this week. (Abridged from The Guardian).

• As always, there will be unintended consequences.  Targets are always a disaster (see Goodhart's Law) and mess with everything that impacts them. 

So, out of interest, what is a "manufacturer"? Will all the Stellantis brands be lumped in together so that the French brands, Fiat, Vauxhall, etc, etc are treated as one? Thus giving a degree of manipulation. Or will their smaller brands, like Maserati get to benefit from the derogation if they continue to sell less than 1,000 cars here a year? Who knows. least of all Government I should think.

Meanwhile, for example, Ferrari, who have come out and said they will continue to make ICE cars well into the 2030s can easily manipulate UK sales to keep under the derogation limit of 1,000. 

Interesting times.
  • edited September 2023
    I think a possibility is that a new industry may emerge which will involve 'refurbishing' second hand cars. Rust isn't the issue it was and maybe refitting new engines and other parts may be an option. Indeed if technology improves and answers to certain problems are found, I could see ICE engines converted to hyrdrogen. The problems to be solved are producing the hydrogen in a cheap green way and storing it in a meaning full amount in the car as more room is required than the current fuel tank as it stands. If that happens EVs will go extinct pretty quick.

I have noticed some 2003 plated cars on the road that still look pretty new. These will be 20 years old!! Gone are the days when a car would rust to bits.
  • I think a possibility is that a new industry may emerge which will involve 'refurbishing' second hand cars. Rust isn't the issue it was and maybe refitting new engines and other parts may be an option. Indeed if technology improves and answers to certain problems are found, I could see ICE engines converted to hyrdrogen. The problems to be solved are producing the hydrogen in a cheap green way and storing it in a meaning full amount in the car as more room is required than the current fuel tank as it stands. If that happens EVs will go extinct pretty quick.

I have noticed some 2003 plated cars on the road that still look pretty new. These will be 20 years old!! Gone are the days when a car would rust to bits.
    Those 2003 cars might ‘look pretty new’ still but are they ULEZ compliant ?
  • I think a possibility is that a new industry may emerge which will involve 'refurbishing' second hand cars. Rust isn't the issue it was and maybe refitting new engines and other parts may be an option. Indeed if technology improves and answers to certain problems are found, I could see ICE engines converted to hyrdrogen. The problems to be solved are producing the hydrogen in a cheap green way and storing it in a meaning full amount in the car as more room is required than the current fuel tank as it stands. If that happens EVs will go extinct pretty quick.

Those 2003 cars might ‘look pretty new’ still but are they ULEZ compliant ?
    They will be with new engines in them. But my point was more about 2030 or 2035 and the years leading to that where car prices may go up substantially. 
  • My 2005 Honda is.
  • edited September 2023
    I reckon the world will be on the cusp of universal electric transportation, trillions spent, users inconvenienced, ripped off and pissed off by 2040.

Then some genius yet to be born, will develop the quantum flux capacitor that works off of spit... AND Khan will still wanna tax your hovercar!

Hydrogen tanks can already fit in cars, it just takes up some boot space. 

Hydrogen tanks can already fit in cars, it just takes up some boot space. 
    Yes, so I think getting the hydrogen into the same space as a petrol tank is an important next step in terms of existing cars if they are to be converted.
  • Sponsored links:

• I reckon the world will be on the cusp of universal electric transportation, trillions spent, users inconvenienced, ripped off and pissed off by 2040.

Then some genius yet to be born, will develop the quantum flux capacitor that works off of spit... AND Khan will still wanna tax your hovercar!
    Well, what do you expect from a genetically engineered tyrant?  (Or can't I tell the difference between the mayor and Star Trek II?)