Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Wycombe Wanderers : Saturday 23rd September 2023 : KO 3:00 Pm

Welcome back to The Valley everyone after what seems like an age but is actually only three weeks...

Today we entertain Wycombe Wanderers in what I hope proves to be a similar result to our last home game v Fleetwood, but maybe a bit more positive from the off would be good.
Our opponents today have had a good start, but are prone to concede rather like us, but with home advantage and support, we could find ourselves in the top 12...just, come 5.00pm

Fingers crossed 🤞 everyone going today has read Fanny's thread...September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month, and Young Lives Against Cancer has been allowed to make bucket collections outside The Valley in Ben Jay's name.... give generously, if possible.

So here we go then...Good to see Alfie back...👍

Alfie May returns to the starting line-up as Michael Appleton makes three changes for today’s game against Wycombe Wanderers.

Louie Watson will make his full league debut after coming on as substitute in last weekend’s draw with Stevenage.

Terell Thomas also returns to the starting line-up as Karoy Anderson and Chem Campbell move to the bench, while Tayo Edun misses out through injury.

"Tayo picked up a hamstring strain on Thursday," Appleton told CharltonTV. "It was only after the training session that it was registered and it came out of nowhere really. He had a scan and it could be three or four weeks before we see him again."

Tennai Watson is in the squad for the first time after playing for the club’s U21s in midweek.

Should the Addicks continue in the same 4-3-3 formation, Thomas will join James Abankwah, Michael Hector and Lloyd Jones in a back four in front of Harry Isted.

George Dobson, Louie Watson and Tyreece Campbell will make up a midfield three behind Miles Leaburn, May and birthday boy Corey Blackett-Taylor.

Anderson, Chem Campbell and Tennai Watson are joined on the bench by Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Lucas Ness, Chuks Aneke and Slobodan Tedić.

Charlton: Isted; Abankwah, Hector, Jones, Thomas; Dobson (c), T.Campbell, L.Watson; Leaburn, May, Blackett-Taylor

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, T.Watson, Ness, Anderson, C.Campbell, Aneke, Tedić

Comments

• Options
    Going to be interesting to see how we line up - Tyreece Campbell in the side, means we could either be playing a nice simple 4-4-2, or something more elaborate
  • Options
    Today's weather forecast:

Sunshine and localised showers

• Options
    Anyone know why Wycombe are 2/1?! 
  • Options
    Edun?? Injured no doubt 🤔
  • Options
    Looks like 442 to me. Not a fashionable formation but hopefully we can make it work because it is the only way we can get our three best attacking players in the team without seriously stifling at least one of them. 

Not loving the idea of having to start 4 centre backs though. 
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Edun?? Injured no doubt 🤔
    Hamstring Strain
  • Options
    Thanks FA very slow to put up on the OS🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wont be surprised if its more of a 3-4-3

Blackett-Taylor at Wing-Back - Campbell | May | Leaburn as a front three
  • Options
    Not feeling confident today. No clean sheets in 8, can't see that changing. 2-2 draw.
  • Options
    Can anyone else find the £10 match pass? Currently round the pool in Vilamoura and looking to ruin a perfect day by watching us but all I can see is a match pass for an unders game from Tuesday...
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Can anyone else find the £10 match pass? Currently round the pool in Vilamoura and looking to ruin a perfect day by watching us but all I can see is a match pass for an unders game from Tuesday...
    Purchase Your CharltonTV Pass | Charlton Athletic Football Club (charltonafc.com)
  • Options

Crowd looking a bit sparse.... 

• Options

Abankwah is already slightly out of position by being a centre back that can play as a full back, I'm not sure he's suited to a right wing back role any more than Thomas would be on the left side, and I wouldn't want to see that
  • Options
    Good to see T. Watson on the bench as a right back option if Abankwah is pants again 
  • Options
    I know it's because of injures and imbalanced squad but this isn't a bad game to have to play 4 center backs against 2 biggish lumps up front.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Crowd looking a bit sparse.... 

To be fair, I did take that photo at 1:50pm.

Not that it's much better now and I'm not holding out much hope for many more by kick off ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We’re going to play 424!!!
  • Options
    Charwill said:
    We’re going to play 424!!!
    We're going to play shite!!!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I know it's because of injures and imbalanced squad but this isn't a bad game to have to play 4 center backs against 2 biggish lumps up front.
    Need the height and physicality along the back line
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    The order they’re in reads like it’s 4-3-3 with Leaburn on the right, CBT left and May as the lone striker.

Would be odd to play Tyreece through the middle though.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Who have we got for that then? ;)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Who have we got for that then? ;)
    Compared to asiimwe and Edun at fullback. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Abankwah is already slightly out of position by being a centre back that can play as a full back, I'm not sure he's suited to a right wing back role any more than Thomas would be on the left side, and I wouldn't want to see that
    Abankwah really struggled last week. Not only was he out of position but he couldn’t handle the physical side of Stevenage, surprised he’s starting again. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s targeted today.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Abankwah really struggled last week. Not only was he out of position but he couldn’t handle the physical side of Stevenage, surprised he’s starting again. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s targeted today.
    Who would you start instead?
  • Options
    Surprised Isted still between the sticks and Chem on the bench.

Good to see that bench could have an impact at last.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    So Curbs is off sunning himself again, and Lisbie is stuck in the Blackwell Tunnel...oh well, good start to proceedings...empty chair can't get a word in!!🤷‍♂️
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!