Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premium Radio channel question

Sorry if I am being a little thick, but how does a Premium radio subscription work ? For example "Greatest Hits Radio" which I listen to in the garden on an Echo Studio- they offer a premium version with no Ads and extra channels. I assume you register, pay online etc, but can you then only listen to the "Premium" version online after signing in ? How would you listen on say a normal DAB portable or Echo Studio ? You just turn these on and tune in - there is no way of knowing on these who is listening ? Or am I missing something obvious?? Or have I answered  my own question lol. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    You can link your premium account to Alexa on the radios apps settings. This will enable you to access the station advert free on your Echo. You cannot listen ad free on a normal DAB radio.
  • Options
    As I understand it, radio is a bit of a misnomer here.  Because you are actually just streaming stuff. (It's radio Jim but not as we know it.) You would not be able to listen ad-free on a DAB portable or in your car I don't think. (Unless your car was a wifi hotspot and had streaming capabilities).
    I also understand that you are not fast-tracked to the bit of music that follows the ad break. Instead extra music is inserted to fill the gap. This would have to be quite carefully timed to not be more annoying than the ads I'd have thought.
    So in your example, the premium ad-free option, which would apply to the other Planet Radio streams, is only available on an app or a linked device.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    You can link your premium account to Alexa on the radios apps settings. This will enable you to access the station advert free on your Echo. You cannot listen ad free on a normal DAB radio.
    Oh that's good, thank you @Redvaliant
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Oh that's good, thank you @Redvaliant
    You're welcome. @cafc is correct you are streaming and extra music is inserted. You will get access ad free to numerous other station as well. I use it in my car via Android auto or Bluetooth of course you are then using mobile data.
  • Options
    I was just thinking the same as @charlton4ever the other fay as I was driving down to Sussex from SE London. Listening to GHR and as I moved counties the car radio picked up first Surrey then Sussex. Just wondered if you had premium how it would tell......but others have now explained. Only listen to the radio in the car (I know.....1990's are calling & want me back) so wouldn't be streaming or using my phone in any way shape or form.