Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Loyal supporters - Valley Away 1970

Comments

• Fantastic - love these

• I love then & now photos, I believe their coach parked just by the statue and took the photo in front of this building on or near where the pathway is in Albert Park 
    Could be wrong but it’s the only building I could find with a similar chimney 
  • Recently departed Peter Ballie on that coach.  17.5 hours before the game, why so early?
  • Ha - great pictures, not sure I've seen that before.

I think most know that Les was my Dad, Chris Slattery was my godfather

neither sadly are with us anymore
    Great article! Is Pat, your father's girlfriend in the article your mum?
  • Recently departed Peter Ballie on that coach.  17.5 hours before the game, why so early?
    Think the coaches were horse drawn in those days!
  • Malcolm and Maureen Marshall two names from the past. See them now seating on rear seat of the coach. Believe Maureen was born on the Falklands Isles. Many names I know but the only one I have seen this year is Jack Parrott.
    Good old days of Lewis Coaches.
  • tom_k said:
    Ha - great pictures, not sure I've seen that before.

Great article! Is Pat, your father's girlfriend in the article your mum?
    No
  • Ha - great pictures, not sure I've seen that before.

Judging by the pictures in the article and your profile pic on here you look just like your Dad (same as me, I am the mirror image of my Dad, also sadly no longer with us) 
  • Sponsored links:

Pete himself told me that they used to travel up overnight, and get to Boro about breakfast time. I think they played football in the park to fill up the time, probably an improvement on what the Reds were serving up in 1970.

A Bolton fan told me he'd done a similar overnighter to Portsmouth in the 70's,  the motorway network wasn't as extensive as now, probably involved lot of grinding along back roads.
  • edited September 2023

Seems strange to advertise an airport at a football match in Middlesbrough in 1970, how many people could afford to fly back then?
  • Between 1961 and 1971 the number of holidays taken abroad, a big part of which was air travel with the rise of the package holiday to Spain etc. increased from 4 million to 7 million. 
  • So @charltonbob are you in the picture ?

Great story,forgot about the supporters clubs we use to visit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone know who the short bloke next to Maureen is ?
  • The Marshalls
    I thought it was Sarah Lancashire getting her NTAs last night! 

Great pics here 
    Pete himself told me that they used to travel up overnight, and get to Boro about breakfast time. I think they played football in the park to fill up the time, probably an improvement on what the Reds were serving up in 1970.

A Bolton fan told me he'd done a similar overnighter to Portsmouth in the 70's,  the motorway network wasn't as extensive as now, probably involved lot of grinding along back roads.
    Jeez! Fair play.

I'd just assumed it was a typo and it really meant they left at 9.45am!
  • Fair play to Les Turner for flying back, stylish.

I bet those old strippers pubs on the A1 made a packet.
  • RobRob
    edited September 2023
    So @charltonbob are you in the picture ?

Great story,forgot about the supporters clubs we use to visit.
    No I'm not, possibly having breakfast somewhere or in the club. Not even sure if I was on the Lewis coach as blokes in the Covered End used to arrange their own coaches & I often went on those. 

The Derby coach I mentioned earlier was one of those, problem was the guys on the "unofficial" coach always wanted to go on a piss up after the game. I was only 14/15 & looked about 12  :( & the pub they chose to go to had bouncers on the door & wouldn't let me in, had to sit outside for hours until everyone was ready to go.

Funny/sad the details you can remember from all those years ago & I can't even remember what day it is half the time now.
    I used to do the same, not use the Lewis coach but go on the Covered End coach. Remember going up to Blackpool, Huddersfield and down to Cardiff. There were a few more but they slip my mind. Used to leave late Friday and get back early Sunday. I was only about 15 myself and used to sneak in at home when I got back so my mum wouldn’t know I’d been out all night the 2nd night. I think she was in denial though. The good ol’ days!
  • Haha yes remember going to Blackpool, it must of been 69 or 70, got up there about 6am parked in the car park behind the Kop, & we played footie in the car park. A big gap after that but remember walking along the seafront & going into the bowling alley as there was a bar that was open fairly early (for those days), of course I couldn't get served  :( but a couple of the older lads got me a couple. Can't remember the score but I'm pretty certain we lost. I would have been still at school at this point (just about to leave) & I'm amazed that my parents who were pretty strict allowed me to be travelling all over the country  :D:D:D The good old days indeed.
  • I think we lost that game 2-0. May be mistaken though. I really don’t remember much else about it except there was someone called Albert who was a bit of a hooligan. Nice fella though. I remember he was wearing a gaberdine suit with Doc Martens and he came back on the coach with a huge Union Jack draped around him that he’d acquired from somewhere. He was a bit of a nutter. Bliss. 🤣