Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Transfer Window Ever?

How does this one compare?

Comments

• Not the worst. 

Not the best. 

Would say 5/10, if you compared our squad now to our squad in September 2022. It hasn't improved enough. 
  • 100 points here we come?
  • Hard to tell at the moment. Definitely some decent players brought in with the likes of Camara and May but a little too much inexperience brought in at the end. They may turn out to be good players. 

Disappointed not to move some players on but at the same time we haven't sold off any of our better talent like CBT and Leaburn. If we had all players fully fit  I'd say it's a decent squad but we never seem to have that luxury.
  • Personally, at least we have brought players in and the squad looks better. On the other side of the coin, I don't know enough about these players to know how good they will be so it is a bit of a wait and see job. Letting CBT go at this point woud have been a major mistake so pleased that hasn't happened.
  • We seem to have built a squad of mainly young inexperienced players  and are lacking leadership on the pitch. 
    We are also without a manager. 
    Can't see us finishing above 10th tbh.
    So a very average window compared to what we were promised 
  • 6 out of 10. I see that most rate it at 5, I've gone higher because we've moved on DJ, Payne, lavelle, etc. the problem is, have we replaced them with better
  • Pissed off we've brought in young players on loan, makes me long for the days of Cullen and Bielik
  • Sponsored links:

• So from the start of the year to now we’ve lost:

JFC
    Stockley
    O’Connell
    Rak Sakhi
    Woollacott
    MacGillvray
    Harness
    Egbo
    Sessignon
    Clare
    Inniss
    Lavelle
    Mitchell
    Morgan
    Gilbey
    Henry 
    Jaiyesimi
    Payne
    Kilkenny
    Kane
    Bonne
    Penney
    Barker

And we’ve gained

Istead
    Jones
    Hector
    Abankwah
    T Watson
    Asimwe
    Edun
    L Watson
    T Taylor
    Camara
    Anderson
    Campbell 
    May
    Tedic

So are we better off now? It’s a bit more streamlined and there are clear unknowns against the ones we’ve not seen.  Of what we’ve seen so far, May and Camara are an improvement on what we had previously (borderline with Edun / Sess), though already a question mark on Camara ability to stay fit. Hopefully a number of the others will push on and be a positive improvement 

• So from the start of the year to now we’ve lost:

JFC
    Stockley
    O’Connell
    Rak Sakhi
    Woollacott
    MacGillvray
    Harness
    Egbo
    Sessignon
    Clare
    Inniss
    Lavelle
    Mitchell
    Morgan
    Gilbey
    Henry 
    Jaiyesimi
    Payne
    Kilkenny
    Kane
    Bonne
    Penney
    Barker

And we’ve gained

Istead
    Jones
    Hector
    Abankwah
    T Watson
    Asimwe
    Edun
    L Watson
    T Taylor
    Camara
    Anderson
    Campbell 
    May
    Tedic

So are we better off now? It’s a bit more streamlined and there are clear unknowns against the ones we’ve not seen.  Of what we’ve seen so far, May and Camara are an improvement on what we had previously (borderline with Edun / Sess), though already a question mark on Camara ability to stay fit. Hopefully a number of the others will push on and be a positive improvement 

9 on the list that have gone started less than 5 league games last season, 2 have gone on loan and will be back, hopefully ready for first team football.

definitely stream lines and the dead wood has been moved on. The question now is have they been replaced with dead wood
  • Ask me at the end of the season... 2011/12 was the best one ever
    Yep, would take something special to beat that one.
  • 5 or 6 out of 10. A point off for the lateness of the 4 signings yesterday, and the poor fitness of many of the players we have signed. 

By this stage of the season, you really want new signings to be the icing on the cake, with the core of the squad already bedded in.
  • We didn't flog our best player at 2 minutes to midnight. So not bad. 
  • We didn't flog our best player at 2 minutes to midnight. So not bad. 
    How Iron Maiden Wrote 2 Minutes to Midnight In Just 20 Minutes
  • Let’s go all Spinal Tap 11/10.

No idea about how well these players will integrate into the team and whether it’ll be the catalyst for moving up the league and more convincing and commanding performances, let’s hope so.

I wish them all the success because we desperately need it.
  • We just need to vastly improve our defensive duties and then I think we will at least make the play-offs. 🤓
  • The best transfer window I can remember was Powells 101 point season. The core of the team brought in early for a decent pre season & fitness, quality in their respective positions & a well balanced team. 

Compare this window to that one. Last minute additions of some young & inexperienced players. It will take a while to integrate into the squad & whatever new way of playing. 

It appears that many of the players are may not be fit or that experienced. 10 to 15 games in will prove whether the initial post window enthusiasm is proved. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    I think not being considered into the question under consideration is the fact it usually takes 1-2 more windows after a transfer to integrate with the new team, absorb the culture, and gauge the success or failure of a transfer. On paper, many transfers look solid, but some of the players will under-perform, some will be injured and some will over-perform. The new owners had very little time to prepare for this window. And I can't rule out yet (time will tell) that the owner's quick trigger on sacking the manager might be a sign they have ambition and will not hesitate to drop poor performers. I just think it is simply too early to tell. I predicted 9-13th this year and I think we wind up there eventually. It may take 2 years to really see how this turns out and oddly, I am a bit more optimistic that pessimistic. I think we would be far worse off right now (as a going concern) if we still had TS as owner. In the end one can only grade an outcome against alternatives realistically available. Which in our case was TS.
    Jensen, Johansson and eventually Kish turned us into a mid table premier league team .  Always my favourite .  Just considering whether that was actually a window , but it was a summer 
  • The summer of 2023/24... How can you compare with that feeling today
  • Hard to tell on this one. I do think that we have improved, and we have started to clear out the dead-wood. It is all a process of getting better and I think it is a good step in that way.
  • Hard to tell on this one. I do think that we have improved, and we have started to clear out the dead-wood. It is all a process of getting better and I think it is a good step in that way.
    I don’t think you can have a process these days ; not in league one , when you have no money .  We don’t go up this season, which is more or less certain , and we lose our best players plus (including ) all the loanees, and we end up having to rebuild again .  
  • wmcf123 said:
    Hard to tell on this one. I do think that we have improved, and we have started to clear out the dead-wood. It is all a process of getting better and I think it is a good step in that way.
    I don’t think you can have a process these days ; not in league one , when you have no money .  We don’t go up this season, which is more or less certain , and we lose our best players plus (including ) all the loanees, and we end up having to rebuild again .  
    "More or less certain"? Have you seen the table? We're 6 points off the play off places and 7 off the top. And that's with the shocking start we've had. 

Of course we might not get promoted, but there's such a long way to go it would be absolutely mental to write us off right now. God, I hope those at the club haven't run the white flags up already.
  • Off_it said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Hard to tell on this one. I do think that we have improved, and we have started to clear out the dead-wood. It is all a process of getting better and I think it is a good step in that way.
    "More or less certain"? Have you seen the table? We're 6 points off the play off places and 7 off the top. And that's with the shocking start we've had. 

Of course we might not get promoted, but there's such a long way to go it would be absolutely mental to write us off right now. God, I hope those at the club haven't run the white flags up already.
    I love the optimism ; I hope you are correct.  I believe we are way short of a promotion squad .  The one thing I don’t believe my assertion is is “absolutely mental” - it’s based on results, us having no manager and no strategy to recruit one and most of our signings being unfit or inexperienced (or both).  If you call me a pessimistic b***ard, fair enough .  
  • I think not being considered into the question under consideration is the fact it usually takes 1-2 more windows after a transfer to integrate with the new team, absorb the culture, and gauge the success or failure of a transfer. On paper, many transfers look solid, but some of the players will under-perform, some will be injured and some will over-perform. The new owners had very little time to prepare for this window. And I can't rule out yet (time will tell) that the owner's quick trigger on sacking the manager might be a sign they have ambition and will not hesitate to drop poor performers. I just think it is simply too early to tell. I predicted 9-13th this year and I think we wind up there eventually. It may take 2 years to really see how this turns out and oddly, I am a bit more optimistic that pessimistic. I think we would be far worse off right now (as a going concern) if we still had TS as owner. In the end one can only grade an outcome against alternatives realistically available. Which in our case was TS.
     But most of them were loans?
     They'll be heading back to their parent clubs when their time is up.
    Hardly a way to build a solid future
  • A good question. 
    Best asked at Christmas.