Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

[Caution: graphic content]. Charlton Managers

Sometimes, cold, hard facts are easier to assimilate when they're shown in a diagram. That's why I have taken a look at how long each manager was allowed to do his job and manage. The pale blue section of the "pie", top left, highlights the shocking, cataclysmic self-harm meted out by successive Charlton boards. 

There is no coincidence in the fact that the three longest-serving managers delivered top-flight football.  And none of the others did. 

Instead of appointing someone and then sacking them as soon as they prove not to be as good as hoped, it would be nice to think the current owners will find a good manager and stick with them, until - and beyond - the time they exceed expectations.  

Comments

• Options
    To think not that long ago we were viewed as a club known for stability and being a model well run club. We’re now the football equivalent of a banana republic.
    Lawyers for banana republics are currently getting ready for action ...
  • Options
    They were the longest serving managers because the delivered top flight football. 

They didn't deliver top flight football because they were long serving managers.

Dean Holden wasn't a good manager, better to nip it in the bud earlier rather than getting another 10 games down the line having already thrown the season away. 
  • Options
    Surprising that prior to Curbs every Charlton manager had the job for at least two years, regardless of performance 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Fumbluff said:
    Shocking. Airbrushing Steve Gritt out of history…
    That 4 years of the joint managers is longer than any of the managers since Curbs by himself...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Sometimes, cold, hard facts are easier to assimilate when they're shown in a diagram. That's why I have taken a look at how long each manager was allowed to do his job and manage. The pale blue section of the "pie", top left, highlights the shocking, cataclysmic self-harm meted out by successive Charlton boards. 

There is no coincidence in the fact that the three longest-serving managers delivered top-flight football.  And none of the others did. 

Instead of appointing someone and then sacking them as soon as they prove not to be as good as hoped, it would be nice to think the current owners will find a good manager and stick with them, until - and beyond - the time they exceed expectations.  
    Actual managers/head coaches (not caretaker): 17.
    Dowie 
    Reed
    Pardew
    Parkinson
    Powell
    Riga
    Peeters
    Luzon
    Fraeye
    Riga
    Slade
    Robinson
    Bowyer
    Adkins
    Jackson
    Garner
    Holden

(Temp - Less than 5 games)
    Peacock
    Matthew
    Nugent
    Jackson
    Pearce

I make that 22 appointments in perm/temporary charge who have I missed?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:

Actual managers/head coaches (not caretaker): 17.
    Dowie 
    Reed
    Pardew
    Parkinson
    Powell
    Riga
    Peeters
    Luzon
    Fraeye
    Riga
    Slade
    Robinson
    Bowyer
    Adkins
    Jackson
    Garner
    Holden

(Temp - Less than 5 games)
    Peacock
    Matthew
    Nugent
    Jackson
    Pearce

I make that 22 appointments in perm/temporary charge who have I missed?

Anthony Hayes between Jackson and Pearce under temp
  • Options
    IMO we have to select a manager that has some affinity with the club. 

Managers who have steered us to promotion:

LL was a promoted assistant. 
    JJ the same / long serving player
    CP former player
    AC the same
    LB the same

I guess this points to Jason Pearce as the next logical step - but as with all the above - the board has to back them, and it’s never a quick fix. 
    Both parties need to agree a plan for X seasons to get promoted. Selling quality players is a regenerative step for short term cash gain, and only hinders the process. 

Likewise, in the junior ranks, talent has to be spotted and retained. 
    Players like Sarmiento and Agyeman walking away to better things is an expensive rick. 
  • Options
    15 different permanent managers since Curbishley left in 2006

Depending what you hear, watch and read that number increases, but it is 15
  • Options
    9 of the hire & fire post Curbs come under the Belgium ownership. I doubt he changed socks. (or shoes), as much as managers.

• Options
    Kevin Nugent is coaching at Millwall I believe. When he managed us I believe he had a 66% win ratio.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Surprising that prior to Curbs every Charlton manager had the job for at least two years, regardless of performance 
    From my recollection, pre the Premier League era, every club gave managers a proper chance - the sacking culture wasn't anything like it is now. Going a few games without a win was seen as a "bad patch" rather than a terminal decline. Occasionally you'd here that a Spanish club had sacked someone after only 6 months and any media reporting of it in England would take the tone that the Spanish are trigger happy lunatics.

I reckon the sacking of managers culture started when the transfer windows were introduced. Prior to that, if a team was struggling they could always buy a new player to try to turn things round. Once the windows
    came in, this was no longer an option - so the only thing a board can do if the results are poor is sack the manager.
  • Options
    Thank you to the promoter