Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sacking managers with little fan pressure

Holden
Garner
Jackson
Adkins
Bowyer
Robinson
Slade
Riga
Fraeye
Luzon
Peeters
Riga
Powell
Parkinson
Pardew

In all that time, 17 years and 15 managerial appointments, I can only remember real fan pressure manifesting itself in the ground with Pardew and Fraeye. 

All the others there was some online discontent, but never in the majority and never ‘we want x out’ a feature during games. 

The instability at our club and the inability of managers being given time to ride out stormy periods is not a new factor. We just don’t ever seem to learn from it, whoever is in charge. 

Comments

• Options
    No Dowie?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me but the natives got restless with Parky towards the end calling for his head in his last home game in charge, Swindon I think 🤔.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    That list AFKA is depressing and makes us a total laughing stock, Powell and Bowyer apart...🙄
  • Options
    There was for Adkins too
  • Options
    I remember them getting on Robinsons back as well.
  • Options
    I remember there being a fair bit of pressure on Adkins. The team were getting 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' chants after three games of the new season and the 4-1 Bolton loss was the last straw for a lot. It wasn't fever pitch but there was definitely pressure there, I don't think Sandgaard really wanted to sack him. I can't remember there being pressure with Slade so much as everyone just hating him and calmly accepting he had to go.
  • Options
    It's an interesting observation akfa and definitely a pattern.

I would just respectfully question 2 on that list: 

Adkins. Seemed to me the fans had turned in the ground. It seemed a bit toxic at Lincoln away as I recall. He went a few days later after the Accy Stanley debacle at home.

Robinson left of his own accord. He probably wasn't sure he'd be the next owners choice but that takeover didn't even happen. Fans had started to turn, IIRC he  took some stick in his last game at home v fleetwood.  More likely he just fancied the Oxford job closer to home. 
  • Options
    The owners are the problem past and present. They appoint these managers and get shot of them without the time or then waking up and working out that it was a bad appointment in the first place. Well you appointed them! 

If any of them had a backbone they would ignore the outside noise. There were moments in Curbs and Lennie’s Charlton careers where things weren’t great for a period, but the owners at the time stuck with the pair. 

24 hours ago a lot of online comment was on if we don’t win Saturday v Fleetwood then Holden’s job is in jeopardy.

No fan pressure as lost him his job. My gut feeling there has been a disagreement between him and Scott which has given them the excuse re recent results. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Holden - a few questioning his approach but a clear minority and most seeing the issues went beyond him. No real fan pressure.
    Garner - I think similar. A small number which you will always get but the majority of the blame fell on the owner - No real fan pressure.
    Jackson - When I say there were a few, there are always a few but definitely no real fan pressure.
    Adkins  - I think fans had totally given up on his ability to turn it around even though he wasn't disliked. I would say there was some fan pressure.
    Bowyer - A lot, if not all understood it was not his fault but it seemed to take a toll on him and there were question marks about him losing the dressing room. There was probably enough fan pressure to comment on it but a lot still supported him.
    Robinson - The system he was playing didn't suit the team and I think supporters decided that so I would say there was fan pressure although I think we wished him well.
    Slade - Definite fan pressure, he was useless
    Riga - No fan pressure
    Fraeye - Loads of fan pressure - he was possibly the worst manager we have ever had
    Luzon - Again, some fan pressure but the fans blamed the owner more and not enough fan pressure to force him out.
    Peeters - I don't think there was a lot of fan pressure,  definitely some rumblings which come with poor results but he seemed to have lost the dressing room so the decision was ultimately supported.
    Riga - Absolutely no fan pressure
    Powell - Absolutely no fan pressure
    Parkinson - New owners knew what they wanted and it wasn't him, some minor rumblings but not what I would call fan pressure. Maybe more in the early days of his reign but he seemed to have settled things by the time he went.
    Pardew - He lost the plot and definitely fan pressure. He went on to have success and I suppose it shows that sometimes it is the circumstances that creates the problem.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The recent one I really smart about was Jackson, so unnecessary when Garner was clearly no upgrade. 
    Yeah. Jackson warranted more time.
    However, some of those in that list were not qualified to be given the gig in the first place.

Through all of this, look where we find ourselves!
    A pitiful stain on our history
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me but the natives got restless with Parky towards the end calling for his head in his last home game in charge, Swindon I think 🤔.
    It got quite heated towards the end with a couple of altercations in the covered end between those who wanted him out and those who didn't
  • Options
    With Adkins there was also the Jacko factor, where the club legend most people wanted to have the job in the first place, was there to step in as the obvious replacement.
  • Options
    You forgot Les Reed at the start. Which is probably a good thing. But has to be added to the catalogue of inept decisions.
    I'd say Garner, Slade and Luzon had quite a bit of fan pressure, but the point is valid... the best clubs, including ours when we weren't shit, are based on stability and a clear system, implemented well over time. I've lost patience with so many of our squad and managers, but this constant shift of personnel at all levels, from squad to boardroom, is what is shafting us. 
  • Options
    I'd argue the majority of that list people were calling for their heads by the end of their tenure, maybe not mass chanting for it, but a lot of booing and discontent during and after games. Pretty much all the network managers were given very short time before people got on their backs due to the nature of appointments.
  • Options
    Parky after the 4-0 home defeat to Brighton. 
    Dead man walking. 
  • Options
    The calls for Parky's head were the most unjustified i've heard since following Charlton. Bloke did wonders with that squad.
    Indeed, though probably should never have got the job in the first place! Has any other caretaker got a job permanently after such a dismal caretaker spell?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I dont think there is a need for crowd protests or chanting, you only have to observe the decline in attendance and enthusiasm from the crowd in just a fee games to see there is a problem.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    No Dowie?
    I Still think he would have kept us up in 2006/07
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The recent one I really smart about was Jackson, so unnecessary when Garner was clearly no upgrade. 
    That was down to the players. Played like they were paid to do to get him the permament position, then just took the money and fucked the dog.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Kap10 said:
    No Dowie?
    Seriously !!!

It was his signings which created the problems - note that he never managed again after us …….
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Kap10 said:
    No Dowie?
    Seriously !!!

It was his signings which created the problems - note that he never managed again after us …….
    Coventry and Hull
  • Options
    From what I can remember, by the end of each tenure, we were all pretty unhappy with:

Dowie
    Pardew
    Luzon
    Fraeye
    Slade
    Robinson
    Adkins
    Jackson
    Garner

Look at that list above. Was a single one of them them the right appointment at the time? I’d say Pardew probably was and possibly Robinson. 
  • Options
    From what I can remember, by the end of each tenure, we were all pretty unhappy with:

Dowie
    Pardew
    Luzon
    Fraeye
    Slade
    Robinson
    Adkins
    Jackson
    Garner

Look at that list above. Was a single one of them them the right appointment at the time? I’d say Pardew probably was and possibly Robinson. 
    Speak for yourself, not others.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Kap10 said:
    No Dowie?
    Seriously !!!

Coventry and Hull
    Ok - I stand corrected
  • Options
    Same of these were better/less bad than others - how much has it cost it total to pay off all of these and how could that have been better invested in players. That said, there would have to be serious actual intent in investing in players 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Off_it said:

Dowie
    Pardew
    Luzon
    Fraeye
    Slade
    Robinson
    Adkins
    Jackson
    Garner

Of my list then, who didn’t you want sacked by the time they left?
  • Options
    JJ 's tenure after the winning streak at the beginning wasn't great. But he had a major handicap in comparison to the other L1 teams and that was no Premier League loans.  The 2 that arrived in Jan weren't up to it, I think they had 1 appearance between them.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Dowie
    Pardew
    Luzon
    Fraeye
    Slade
    Robinson
    Adkins
    Jackson
    Garner

Off_it said:

Dowie
    Pardew
    Luzon
    Fraeye
    Slade
    Robinson
    Adkins
    Jackson
    Garner

Dowie and Jackson