Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie - get working on new signings NOW

edited August 2023 in General Charlton
I suggest we need 6 good quality and fit league 1 players. 

- Goalkeeper 
- 2 defenders [CB/RB]
- Attacking midfielder [Centre/Left]
- Attacking right midfielder 
- Forward [to complement Alfie]

In my opinion, that is a minimum of six- that will allow some of the kids to develop and cope with injuries/suspensions, as well as deal with our dire current situation.

And only then can we tell if Holden is up to the job.

Rumours that we will sign unfit players or those with other problems is really worrying - we need players that are match ready. We would need to loan out/sell a few and that might well be the blocker.

Unless we really strengthen in this window, we will struggle in mid table. 

Comments

• Options
    We're not getting another keeper.

Or centre mid.
  • Options
    We're not getting another keeper.

Or centre mid.
    AMB is really struggling and if Dobbo gets injured, banned [or sold, as may happen in January]…….

Maybe Holden has a cunning plan, but the basic squad is not there and there is no back up/cover.
  • Options
    What we need and what we'll get are two separate things though.

As debated endlessly on the Rumours thread.
  • Options
    I'd love a creative midfielder to come in but it does feel like it would need Payne or Mcgrandles to go for it to happen. CB also feels a stretch as much as I think it would be a good move. 
  • Options
    But I thought 'Charlie' was just one of several investors and no role other than liaison with the club and a particular group of investors...

Or is he is in fact undertaking a paid role I wasn't aware of?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    But I thought 'Charlie' was just one of several investors and no role other than liaison with the club and a particular group of investors...

Does it matter if he is paid or not?  At the end of the day it will be the investors, not the club, paying him. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Does it matter if he is paid or not?  At the end of the day it will be the investors l, not the club, paying him. 
    Or the comment should really be directed towards the person we were told is looking at recruitment most i.e. Andy Scott? 

To your other point about paid role - interesting view that if CM is being paid its a separate arrangement with the investors and not the club paying directly. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Does it matter if he is paid or not?  At the end of the day it will be the investors l, not the club, paying him. 
    Or the comment should really be directed towards the person we were told is looking at recruitment most i.e. Andy Scott? 

To your other point about paid role - interesting view that if CM is being paid its a separate arrangement with the investors and not the club paying directly. 
    OK I will rephrase it.  If he is being paid by "the club" it will be out of the investors pocket anyway because the club is insolvent and needs external investment to meet the payroll.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Harry Isted has played one competitive game for Charlton, and he did it in a nothing cup game with an almost entirely rotated team with barely any first choice players in it, but apparently we need a new keeper. Good to see we're writing off our own players after the smallest, least useful sample possible
    He's second choice goalkeeper, though. I don't get the idea he's going to be what we need, he's the backup. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Harry Isted has played one competitive game for Charlton, and he did it in a nothing cup game with an almost entirely rotated team with barely any first choice players in it, but apparently we need a new keeper. Good to see we're writing off our own players after the smallest, least useful sample possible
    He's second choice goalkeeper, though. I don't get the idea he's going to start pulling up trees if he's already behind AMB.
    How do 2nd keepers at other clubs end up taking the number 1 shirt? Through injury or drop of form of their predecessor. 

• Options
    Chunes said:
    He's second choice goalkeeper, though. I don't get the idea he's going to be what we need, he's the backup. 
    I don't think that's the level he is though. He was absolutely fantastic for Barnsley in their strong end of season run, was MOTM in the play-off final and they were really unhappy not to get him permanently. I saw him as coming in as competition for AMB, but the fact AMB has continued to look pretty poor and not lost his place worries me a bit. I don't think Holden likes changing his keeper.
  • Options
    Any reason why AMB is still wearing a mask, presumably his face injury has healed?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

OK I will rephrase it.  If he is being paid by "the club" it will be out of the investors pocket anyway because the club is insolvent and needs external investment to meet the payroll.

Agree with that sentiment / logic.

My point remains its not Charlie though is it? Its more to do with Scott surely.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Agree with that sentiment / logic.

My point remains it’s not Charlie though is it? It’s more to do with Scott surely.
    Only if he has a transfer budget to play with……………..
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    He's second choice goalkeeper, though. I don't get the idea he's going to start pulling up trees if he's already behind AMB.
    How do 2nd keepers at other clubs end up taking the number 1 shirt? Through injury or drop of form of their predecessor. 

Yeah, I know. Not exactly what I meant but I didn't elaborate. I meant that if he was a clear upgrade (which we need) then he likely would have taken the #1 shirt outright. From that, I don't get the idea he is going to be a dominant force. Could be wrong of course. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm more worried about AMB - is he good enough ?

Did not see the Newport game so can't comment on Isted 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    I'm more worried about AMB - is he good enough ?

Did not see the Newport game so can't comment on Isted 
    I'm not convinced on AMB but we have an alternative in Isted who looks decent so it would be a bit daft to sign a third goalkeeper wouldn't it?
  • Options

It's easier to identify a fall guy who's reputation precedes him. I've literally no idea how it all works, but if it's proving cumbersome with so many on board, the decision making process needs to be streamlined. Early days for the new owners and management team,  BUT not in this transfer window! 🙄
  • Options
    The 3rd keeper has been signed for the u21s, or do you mean a 4th keeper ? Pointless signings is exactly what we need to avoid right now.
  • Options
    What we need and what we'll get are two separate things though.

As debated endlessly on the Rumours thread.
    True.

My point in starting this thread was to see if fans are broadly on the same page.

Whatever number they eventually sign in this window, it's surely about the quality and match fitness of those who are brought in and not just numbers?

If they bring in players who add no value, or cannot play? Others have already point this problem out from previous windows, but many even doubt the few new players brought in so far in this window.

I think the later it goes on, without any signings, the more likely it will be that we will bring in last minute panic signings. 

Will Scott actually do what was promised and improve recruitment?

• Options
    Is Charlie still at the club?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    So, we have two goalkeepers. Only one can play at any time so that keeper is "first choice", at least for the moment.

The first choice keeper may need to come out of the team, be it injury or loss of form, so what do we need to do? We need to sign a new keeper to become "first choice", of course! Because the other bloke is only "second choice".

Honestly, words fail me sometimes …..
    I suggested we might need a keeper because AMB has shown real weakness and fans doubted Isted after his one performance the other week.  The club will probably leaves things as they are, but its surely a point worth talking about during the window?

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    Any reason why AMB is still wearing a mask, presumably his face injury has healed?
    He broke his nose a few times in a relatively short period of time and was told if it happened again it could be super serious to his career/life... Think Petr Cech and the rugby scrum cap... 
  • Options
    Strangely and probably surprisingly, Ashley looks the more experienced goalie in terms of 'decent' league appearances. 

Let's hope they both push eachother on to a better standard, rather than follow a unique Charlton pattern of late.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!