Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POLL: The Great London Cheesecake

Comments

• They are my favourite but have fallen foul of ridiculous reductions in size. My local bakers is really taking the piss with meagre size offerings on their cheesecakes these days.
    You could always eat two. 

The London cheesecake locally was always known as a hairy Mary, can’t think why?
    I'll always think of the gargantuan 'Hairy Mary' lined up with giant custard pies and enormous Bakewell tarts in Italian, London City cafes.  I would avoid them all tbf.

However, if I was passing the Piccolo cafe in Queen Victoria Street I'd order one of their (boulder sized) rock cakes and a cup of tea that would generally come up so strong you'd need a knife and fork with it.  The rock cake would have little burnt bits on its crust that I'd break off and eat first, then the rest of the crust and then the doughy inside bit - which to be fair - could only be broken down and digested with the ultra strong tea. 

If I ate it in the van I'd have to get out afterwards and brush myself down, there'd be enough crumbs to feed the local pigeons for a week.

• Buy 11 of them, stick them in the team and we would still lose to Rovers.    
                  But ,you could at least eat them.😀
  • edited August 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:
    OMG I haven't had one of them London Cheesecakes in about 40 years.  My old man used to bring some in from the bakers when he was on a half-day shift!
    They were great from the bakers down Pickford Lane growing up @JohnBoyUK

Greggs stopped doing them a couple of years ago. Got to search them out now 
  • Hell no

Mrs Halex says cream doughnut.

I would say Millionaires Shortcake

• JohnBoyUK said:
    OMG I haven't had one of them London Cheesecakes in about 40 years.  My old man used to bring some in from the bakers when he was on a half-day shift!

It's the bakers on Pickford Lane that are taking the piss with their cheesecake sizes!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Belle’s Bakery, Wrotham Rd, Welling. 
  • edited August 2023
    Ruxley garden centre shop normally have London cheese cake (in the cake section near the veg), acceptable size, but bit on the expensive side, need to get there fairly early as they go quickly (or they do when I’m about).
  • Haven't had one in years and don't miss them in the slightest. Would much rather have a proper cheesecake. Did they go out of fashion the same time they stopped making kids tobacco out of coconut strands. It seems that nowadays people are more likely to use coconut as some sort of cleaner or cosmetic. 
  • The cheesecake they do in Blacklock restaurants is right up there
    Never needed after half a ton of meat but irresistible 
  • se9addick said:
    It’s good, but I can’t help but strongly believe greatest sweet pastry is a cinnamon bun/roll. 
    They've opened up a cinnabon counter in Sandwich, I keep meaning to try it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutely not! I think I'd have to chose an Almond Croissant as the best pastry, but I always think the humble properly sugary jam donut is often overlooked (but probably doesn't really qualify as a pastry).
  • best pastry, a warm pain au raisin
  • edited August 2023
    One serious crime is getting a jam doughnut with no jam inside.
    Jam is needed in a doughnut to compensate for the sugary stodge.
    Not a great treat.
    It is possible if you have an air fryer and you pay a quid for a roll of ready made puff pastry, to easily make several lovely pastries that would beat any shop bought one if you’re creative and imaginative with the ingredients, way cheaper, quick and fresh, and not really time consuming.
  • aliwibble said:
    Love them, although they are impossible to eat in a ladylike manner, and I always end up covered in crumbs. Used to get them from the bakery opposite the approach to Ladywell station when I was a kid. Hadn't had them for years until covid hit, and found them on just eat via the Wenzel's bakery chain, but they've been unavailable for weeks. I am bereft.
    A branch of Wenzel's has just opened here in Southampton so I will have a look and see if they have any. Have been craving that flaky coconutty goodness since seeing this thread! 
  • OMG, the wife's aunt has just popped in for a cuppa and look what she brought in with her...

(from the bakers in Sidcup High St next to the butchers!)

I have to admit, I dont remember jam doughnut jam in the middle years ago but I like it.  I like it a lot.
  • On the back of this thread, last week I got a pack of two London Cheesecakes from Aldi.
    They were huge and very filling but not as nice as I remember

A solid 6.5/10 though
  • Decent but nothing beats a Mille-feuille
    that's easy for you to say
  • Voted yes but like others such as Gypsy Tart & Cinnamon swirls.

Hard to decide & 1 reason why I hate people bringing in cakes for their birthday as I end up eating 2 or 3 as its so hard to choose.
  • Give me bread pudding any day!
  • Sponsored links:

• I used to love a cream horn 

( cue Kenneth Williams memes) 
  • I can't be the only person who's never heard of a 'London Cheesecake' ???
  • I can't be the only person who's never heard of a 'London Cheesecake' ???
    Nor me. 
  • Almond - meh! Desiccated coconut - yuck!!
    Can’t say what the greatest is but could not consider anything that doesn’t involve chocolate.
  • Mince Pie number 1 for me.

• Ahhhhhhh I've been seeing this in Sophocles Bakery in Camberwell, been wondering what it is! Will have to get one now 
  • The very bottom layer is superfluous and fattening.
    It can easily be broken off, maybe fed to birds outside to avoid waste.
  • edited September 2023
    lolwray said:
    I used to love a cream horn 

( cue Kenneth Williams memes)
    .........😉
  • Belgian (spit!) bun, I'm afraid
  • edited September 2023
    Mince pies I made at home yesterday.