Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playing against Charlton

edited August 2023 in General Charlton
It must be quite a simple teamtalk to give (and weeks worth of planning):

- Keep it tight but attack in numbers when you do as getting a lead will see them struggle to get back into the game. If you can go 1 up, you are likely to draw/win the game, so focus on that first goal. They haven't won from a losing position since Feb 2022 and have only come back to draw in 10 of the last 48 games that they've been behind (Thanks LM for stat).

- Attack them on the brink of HT and FT. It's very likely you will see a lack of concentration, leadership and tactical structure which will lead to a goal.

It makes me sad to think that this is how simple it is for an opposition team to prepare for us. 

Comments

• Options
    We bang on about squad depth but there are concerning signs that our issues are a little more deeper set..
    I'm starting to think there is a lack of discipline in the whole set up. Some of the basic mistakes our players make shouldn't be happening at any professional level. The sloppiness in our play is for all to see, and it's been like that for a long time.
    If they are that sloppy in what we see on the pitch, chances are they are that sloppy on a day to day basis. Our strength and conditioning is a case in point. If they are not doing things right between games then no wonder the injury list is piling up
    We need to up our levels in all aspects of professional conduct to have any real chance. 
  • Options
    I always feel that visiting sides must fancy their chances at the valley, don't know how you change that (other than winning most home matches) , years of under investment must be reversed I guess.
  • Options
    Continual cock ups at the back( though many keep saying they’re only human) that’s been going on under Adkins, Jackson, Garner and now Holden and at present can’t score more than one goal due to injuries and no other strikers available bar Kanu, who might come good.
  • Options
    Thing is, why is it the case?

The players, managers, coaches, competition, owners, shirt sponsor, kit manufacturer, literally pretty much everything apart from the fans, the fact we play at The Valley and the name Charlton Athletic has changed in that time, and yet the same basic mistakes are made season after season
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    "....lets pray Charlton haven't signed Andy Delort before the weekend."
  • Options
    They've changed (and you've listed some 'quirky' changes too), but it does not mean the root cause has ever been identified and worked on.

Sandgaard was the nearest to doing so in that he mentioned the issue was the market/pool we were shopping in. But then things didn't materialise from observation zone. 
  • Options
    Seem to consistently concede very late goals too going back to Bows in the championship. 
  • Options
    Continual cock ups at the back( though many keep saying they’re only human) that’s been going on under Adkins, Jackson, Garner and now Holden and at present can’t score more than one goal due to injuries and no other strikers available bar Kanu, who might come good.
    Why stop at Adkins? Why not go back further? Parky? Pardew? Curbs? Lennie? 

You're a proper strange fish.
  • Options
    Do they really even need a team talk?
    I reckon my Nan could beat these powderpuffs on her own, no team talk
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I appreciate you’ve said they’re ‘only human’ but I’m not alone in thinking that these cock ups have been going on for some time now and a lot of it has been happening since Adkins. At least most of us are not in denial like you appear to be.

I don’t need to go back further, why the ridiculous exaggeration?

You’re right I am a strange fish, I’m autistic but I can still have an opinion, something you struggle to except, when people disagree with you, why’s that. @offit?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Under Bowyer, the tinker man didn't we go 7 games without conceding with Inniss at CB.
    We defended from the front and the games were boring but we were tighter than certain CL members on a night out.

As Lee had an A-Z of formations we tried to be more pro active but as injuries occured our shape disappeared into the sunset.

I remember Nigel Adkins celebrating a home 0-0 against Sheffield Wednesday in a first game of the season. Just like a National League lover our fore play was lacking and we couldn't score 🙄
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    This was a big problem last season and may be this for the same reason. I think it simply comes done to how easy it is to stop us scoring. Yes we do have defensive lapses but a reason for this is the knowledge that conceding a goal is a disaster for us putting more pressure on defenders. Some of the football we played on Tuesday was well above the division but if you get bodies behind the ball and are disciplined we dilly and dally too much, pass on real opportunities and miskick the ball too often when quality in front of goal is needed. I honestly don't think we are far off but we need a player who can play with May.

One thing I have noticed is that May has to make a run beyond the defender and hope he misses it. Which with better sides doesn't happen often. What he would be more effective doing is playing off flicks and knock ons from a forward, like Leaburn for instance, but we don't have that option at the moment. CBT has only one effective cross he can make at the moment and that is a low one but you keep doing those they are too easy to defend against. They have to cach defences out! But so far his higher crosses are not bad, it is just when you have small players who are outnumbered by opponents in the small space in front of goal, where the danger is, you are not going to get much joy and that isn't CBTs fault.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I appreciate you’ve said they’re ‘only human’ but I’m not alone in thinking that these cock ups have been going on for some time now and a lot of it has been happening since Adkins. At least most of us are not in denial like you appear to be.

You’re right I am a strange fish, I’m autistic but I can still have an opinion, something you struggle to except, when people disagree with you, why’s that. @offit?
    My point is that "cock-ups" have been going on in football for as long as football itself has existed.

If you analyse most goals to the nth degree then someone is usually at fault somewhere along the line - ie there has been a "cock-up" somewhere.

It's not a modern phenomenon. People make mistakes. It's the very essence of what makes football exciting - you can never be absolutely sure what is going to happen.

It's really not a difficult concept to understand.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

My point is that "cock-ups" have been going on in football for as long as football itself has existed.

If you analyse most goals to the nth degree then someone is usually at fault somewhere along the line - ie there has been a "cock-up" somewhere.

It's not a modern phenomenon. People make mistakes. It's the very essence of what makes football exciting - you can never be absolutely sure what is going to happen.

It's really not a difficult concept to understand.
    If you listened to Charlton Live yesterday, the ‘Cock ups’ were discussed and they all referred to it as a, ‘this has been going on for some time now’ and not just a blip, have a listen if you haven’t.

So, it’s not just me saying this it’s others are also aware we seem to have a problem.

Of course your right it’s a game played world wide and inevitably there will be mistakes that might cost points. It just appears to be happening to us a bit too regularly and consistently and as I’ve already said, I’m not alone in thinking that, even Holden has referred to it in recent interviews. So I’m not sure why you are in some sort of denial about it. It’s not that difficult to see or get your head around?

We’ll just have to agree to disagree but hopefully without the ‘strange fish’ comments.
  • Options
    Also the away side  should by pass midfield by putting in highball over the top. Will catch the defense out of position and if some does get to the ball they are not capable of clearing it away.